Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times

Advertisements

What does it take to create and maintain "goodwill" in a relationship?...How would you define the concept of having "goodwill?"...I try to avoid heavy-duty competition! And I don't want to come across as a "mom" or "know-it-all" with friends. Things work-out best when everyone is viewed as an equal and treated with respect. Don't you think?..."Goodwill" also involves being able to say "I'm sorry" when need be and finding a way to "patch things up" and make amends etc...When "goodwill" is present in a relationship everything just "feels good!" Trust runs "high!" Everyone doesn't have to walk around "watching their back" all the time. (Or wear a "bullet-proof" vest etc.).. How would you describe "goodwill?" Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I think to maintain "goodwill" in a relationship it only takes respect....I couldn't really add much more to what you've already said CArizona...you've covered it beautifully...peace my friend!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:18 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times
I do believe that goodwill is healthy for relationships. However, that does not mean I cannot have high expectations of myself or others. Assuming goodwill allows me to communicate my wants or needs in the most delicate way I am able to because I do care about other people's feelings.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 AM

5 posts, read 5,187 times
Just join this forum and really want to share my experiences .I think TRUST is one of the key factor in success of any realtionship.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 AM

bettyeiacono...Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting. I agree with you about the importance of having trust in a relationship...It's hard to trust someone who is "wishy-washy" and inconsistent and "all over the map!" There's no telling how they may "act" from one minute to the next!.. Will they be friendly and caring and happy? Or pouty and sulky and in a "foul mood?"...How can we trust someone who seems to have a "split personality?" We're all going to have "upsets" at times. But how do we handle the problems that arise in our lives? Do we "fly off the handle" at the "drop of a hat" and pull everyone along with us on emotional "roller coaster rides?"...Or do we try to remain level-headed? And take things "step-by-step?"....It's hard for me to be around "unpredictable people" who are subject to "flare-ups" and extreme "mood swings." How do you feel about it? Thanks.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:34 AM

purehuman...Thanks for posting! I'm "old-school" when it comes to the notion of respect. I feel that I have to earn respect by being consistent and trustworthy...How do you feel about it? It can be argued that everyone deserves to be treated with respect and I feel this way...But sometimes our respect for other people can become a little "tarnished" or "cloudy" based on their behavior towards us. Don't you think?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
purehuman...Thanks for posting! I'm "old-school" when it comes to the notion of respect. I feel that I have to earn respect by being consistent and trustworthy...How do you feel about it? It can be argued that everyone deserves to be treated with respect and I feel this way...But sometimes our respect for other people can become a little "tarnished" or "cloudy" based on their behavior towards us. Don't you think?
Hmm. That is a very interesting way of defining respect. I never saw consistency as a form of respect. I see it as part of somebody's personality. I tend to think of these people as being predictable who also like people who behave in predictable ways.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:46 AM

crisan..Thanks for posting. I agree with you. In healthy relationships everyone's "wants" and "needs" are taken into "account" and considered...There is a sense of "fairness." And no one ends-up with the "short end" of the "stick" over and over again...If we do all the "giving" all the time and rarely get "much back" it won't take long for "goodwill" to "fly out the window!"

Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 AM

crisan...I think we choose how we are going to "act" and "respond" in any given situation...Of course we may get hit on the head by a "curve ball" once in awhile and be caught "off-guard" for a short time...But all in all (in normal life) I think we choose and decide how we will "act" and "behave" etc...Parents are suppose to "socialize" their kids and teach their kids that they are responsible and accountable for their actions and behavior. But sometimes things can go "haywire" during this process!...Parents can be too permissive. And let their kids "get away with murder" with no accountability for their behavior. Or parents can be too strict and controlling and this may lead to "passivity" or non-stop "rebellion!"...It took me a long time to figure out what it meant to be an adult. (And behave like an adult.) But I finally "got it!"...I am responsible for how I "act" and "behave." Nothing just happens by "accident!" I am constantly choosing and deciding how I want to "handle things."....Sometimes I "screw-up" and make mistakes and I need to "make amends" if my choices and actions "hurt" or involved other people...I want people to feel that they can trust me to "do right" by them. And I feel that I have to earn respect in all my relationships based on my "character" and my consistent behavior.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I tend to show respect to even a stranger I don't really know.....it's my way of showing that I consider them of worth and value....kinda like starting at the top....from there on it will remain...or lesson, based on (like you said) their behaviour towards me, and others.....If I perceive them to be fair and just, they will have "earned" my continued respect.....as for me getting respect from others...I'm not too concerned...I try to be as fair, and honest, and giving as I can....if people respect me for that,.. it's good....if not...that's ok too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships