Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I used to be one of those who would always defriend ex boyfriends, etc. I would also argue on FB, etc.

I've since grown up.

Ahh...those drama-filled college days.

What..? I've admitted the problem and I don't do it anymore. Don't judge me.
A few years ago I had a ex-gf that defriended me (post break up) and I was a little surprised.
For me, I think it depends on how the split was.

It isn't difficult for you to still see those ex's pictures and what not? I just don't see ever "chatting" with certain ex's again. Some times I think it is the only thing to do to help move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
A few years ago I had a ex-gf that defriended me (post break up) and I was a little surprised.
For me, I think it depends on how the split was.

It isn't difficult for you to still see those ex's pictures and what not? I just don't see ever "chatting" with certain ex's again. Some times I think it is the only thing to do to help move on.
For me it also depends on how the split was also. If it was an amicable one on both sides, then I am still friends with them. Also if I just know I'm not interested in them completely.

My last boyfriend was crazy so I’m over him. If he ever contacts me again I won’t care. I might even add him back to FB because there is NO chance we will be reconciling.

The ex’s I “defriended” in the past, I don’t “friend” them again. If for any odd reason I’d ever have to contact one of them, I will simply send them a message and that’s it.

I will get an occasional “thinking of you”, “how are you?” messages and that is exactly where we stay. I'm not interested in seeing their timeline, pictures, etc.

Seeing the pictures will actually probably bring back resentment or old feelings and will confirm that I am not completely healed or over them.

What about someone who doesn't use any social websites? What do you think of that? Ever dated one? They are so rare now-a-days.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
What about someone who doesn't use any social websites? What do you think of that? Ever dated one? They are so rare now-a-days.
I have known 2 people in the past 4 years that don't use social media.
One of them I dated very briefly, but nothing ever came of it. The fact that she didn' use social media made no difference to me.
Actually, I bet her life was more simple that way... haha.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
why unfriend when you can just hide them?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:14 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default defriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
why unfriend when you can just hide them?
Because if they are just hidden they can still see your posts.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
In my case, I actually set up the security on my FB to have a few different levels of visibility.
I have some pictures that only certain friends can see (such as me with a drink in my hand).

But, in the case where I delelted the ex-gf, I found this exgf to be kinda shady. I wasnt worried about her doing anything with FB info, but she kept her FB photos and everything very "private" she like to say.
Even from me. She had some 10 photos on her FB, but i wasnt allowed to view them. She liked her "privacy".
I defriended her, because honestly, it ended, "kinda" rough, and after the way she acted in the end, I learned that we didnt see eye to eye on certain morals and ethics.
I basically learned that I would never really see eye to eye with her, and even the "potential" of a friendship down the road was not realistic.
Plus, the end was kind of rough, and I need my space from her to be able to move on.

Maybe I need more space than the average person, but who knows....

Old 07-06-2012, 05:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
If you let them. I hide people when I don't care to see what they post. If they want to hide me, they can. I don't post anything I'd want to hide from someone.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default I don't post anything I want to hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If you let them. I hide people when I don't care to see what they post. If they want to hide me, they can. I don't post anything I'd want to hide from someone.
but if I want someone out of my life I would want them out. I wouldn't want them to be reminded of me.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I'm have no good reason to 'defriend' anyone and even if I did, I wouldn't go through the effort because I don't take fb that seriously. Obviously, only a minority of my fb friends are real friends but it's cool to keep connected to all those people.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:11 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
I personally hate being defriended. Why not be as nice to others as possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships