Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,431,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm have no good reason to 'defriend' anyone and even if I did, I wouldn't go through the effort because I don't take fb that seriously. Obviously, only a minority of my fb friends are real friends but it's cool to keep connected to all those people.
Exactly, I see what you mean. That is the way to look at it and not taking "defriending" so personally. Think about it, if a "close" friend "defriends" you, how do you take that versus a far away "online friend" in another state you met because of mutual interests?

Sometimes FB has glitches anyway and all the stuff in there doesn't work right, if someone "defriends" you and it bothers you, just simply ask them outside of FB via chat, phone or email.

Anyway, just depends on perspective of the actual relationship, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 03:59 AM

4,432 posts, read 7,002,612 times
well I used to defriend people from facebook but not anymore. Except if they are really insulting. I would change my settings on the annoying posts I get on my wall so I don't see them of the trashy things I see in my wall.

Anyway I don't like it when people tag me in photos or places without asking my your permission at first .

Old 07-08-2012, 12:33 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,132,559 times
People take FB way too seriously. It's a social network. It isn't meant to be a dear diary for all your deep dark secrets. Therefore I don't write anything on there I'd have an issue with other people seeing. I almost see defriending as arrogance. Unless someone has really done something awful to you why defriend them? It's like some kind of power trip - aha! Take that! I'll defriend you! However will the other person survive without being able to read your FB updates! Please. I doubt I'd even notice or care if someone defriended me.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
but if I want someone out of my life I would want them out. I wouldn't want them to be reminded of me.
I suppose. Are we talking about ex's or just people in general? I've never felt so strongly that I wanted a FB friend totally out of my life. If I did, I'd defriend. It just hasn't really come to that. There are people I just don't want to hear from, usually because their political views differ from mine. I hide them. If they feel the same about me, they can hide me. I've had a couple people delete me. One was over politics. No biggie. Not a good friend anyway. A couple were people I knew through a group, and once out of the group, didn't keep in touch. No biggie either.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
well I used to defriend people from facebook but not anymore. Except if they are really insulting. I would change my settings on the annoying posts I get on my wall so I don't see them of the trashy things I see in my wall.

Anyway I don't like it when people tag me in photos or places without asking my your permission at first .
There is a setting that controls that.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,964,867 times
Default Only Defriended two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I suppose. Are we talking about ex's or just people in general? I've never felt so strongly that I wanted a FB friend totally out of my life. If I did, I'd defriend. It just hasn't really come to that. There are people I just don't want to hear from, usually because their political views differ from mine. I hide them. If they feel the same about me, they can hide me. I've had a couple people delete me. One was over politics. No biggie. Not a good friend anyway. A couple were people I knew through a group, and once out of the group, didn't keep in touch. No biggie either.
One was a high school acquaintance, it was clear from her posts and photos, that I really didn't want anything to do with her. The other was added by some glitch, I have no idea who they were. I did not accept a friend invitation from them or give them one. I really don't know if anyone has ever deleted me.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 AM

37,166 posts, read 42,351,186 times
I have never asked anyone to be my fb friend so the only people on there are the ones that invited me. I have the whole thing locked and privated, even my friends can't see my wall, and I never post anything to my own wall. I just use it to keep up with my adult kids and keep up with important stuff that people post about themselves. Last week one of my friends family used his account to announce that he had passed away and give info about the funeral. It showed up in my feed but they would never have thought to let me know since they didn't know I existed. I went to pay my respects to the family and they appreciated it and got a kick out of meeting someone who knew him 30 years ago and the fact that I heard about it from FB.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,239,945 times
I'll defriend people in my own family if they are obnoxious enough. It's not even a matter of knowing what they say. You can just unsubscribe from that. It's the pain in the neck of having to worry about what I say. I don't have time to deal with creating special lists, remembering to exclude people from certain status updates, etc. I also don't want to expose my friends to the judgments of members of my family. I am different from several members of my family in my politics and beliefs, and it irritates me to deal with their comments and questions. "Who's this? Why did he say that? How do you know her? She's strange. Did you see what that guy put on your wall? And who is that other guy? He sounds like he really knows you. Did you go out with him? How come we never heard of him?"

Oh, shut up. I can talk to you and see you any old time. My friends are all scattered to the four winds. You get relegated to family gatherings, my friends get FB. You can't pick your family, but you can pick your social network.

As for long-lost friends and distant relatives, sometimes I'll give them a shot, but if it turns out that they grew up to be people I just don't like, I have no interest in wasting time with them and I don't see the point of sharing any part of myself with them. Out they go.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,803,269 times
I have not personally defriended anyone on Facebook. What annoys me is the "Find Friends" list. The list is made up of people many of whom you obviously know (either from school years ago or kids growing up in same neighborhood, etc.) and they obviously know you. If I didn't like them then...why would I want to be FB friends all these years later? What is also funny is that often, if you do a friend request with them, they pretend they don't know you by ignoring the request. I find that highly rude, especially when both parties are aware that you know each other. Maybe it is a good filter, if you truly don't like someone (even though you know who they are) you don't have to be friends. Finally, you know you are getting older when you realize that some on your friend list you knew when they were born!

Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,665,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
I don't at all understand keeping an ex on your friend list.
I'm friends with most of my exes in away-from-keyboard life, so I'm facebook friends with them, also.

I live a fairly drama-free life, that may have something to do with it. We still get along, I like seeing where they are now. They know what I'll laugh at, so they'll tag me in a photo that they know I'll enjoy, etc.

I rarely defriend people, I just haven't found it necessary. The ones I've defriended were either consistently negative or posted hateful things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships