Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,961,264 times

Advertisements

Some people just add friend after friend after friend on facebook. Why do you add and add and add, when most likely these people are not real friends?

And/or, for those of you that do not unfriend people, even though it may be an ex, or someone you just don't spend time with or even talk to anymore ?

I clean out my FB list from time to time, but almost NEVER am I unfriended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 05:17 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,427,118 times
It depends on how you use Facebook - for me it is mostly with distant relatives and far-away friends from high school. I rarely use it (once a week or so), so I don't make time to "defriend" people.

If I were a heavy social media user (like daily), then I might take a "unfriending" more personally, but in life, I have bigger fish to fry offline than worrying about my "online life."

If anyone "defriends" me, so what? - Life goes on and you can find other "Facebook" friends.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,677 times
I dont understand the logic behind defriending people, why go thru the effort? It's illogical and frankly a bit creepy to compartamentalize people as "friend", "marginal friend", "not a friend" etc. Sounds like the OP is just bragging to the C-D peanut gallery how popular he is.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,974,789 times
I rarely defriend (even exes) I use Facebook to stay connected with people that I probably wouldn't otherwise stay in contact with. College acquaintances, former co-workers, 2nd cousins. I like to occasionally check in with these people or see the latest picture of their kid but I'm not going to pick up the phone and call or even email them. Networking is a powerful thing and you never know who you will want to get in touch with in the future.

I do make liberal use of the "hide" feature so that people that post too frequently, exes, and otherwise annoying people don't show up on my feed. I feel like this is a better option then defriending. On the rare occasion that I defriend someone, I block them too.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,955,040 times
I don't defriend, I go all-out and deactivate

Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 5,189 times
Because (I think) we still have small hope. And also may be some day when we meet accidentally not cause any embarrassment .Its my personal opinion.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,961,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I dont understand the logic behind defriending people, why go thru the effort? It's illogical and frankly a bit creepy to compartamentalize people as "friend", "marginal friend", "not a friend" etc. Sounds like the OP is just bragging to the C-D peanut gallery how popular he is.

Wow, this comment, couldnt be absolutely more wrong about me. Interesting how a simple question gets me slammed by someone who has no clue about me. Good to know you are so good at analyzing me based off a simple question.
The truth is, many people I know clean up their facebook, be it ex's, or maybe a someone you meet one time and never ever see again.

And then, There are people out there that never delete most people they friend on facebook. I know it is personnal preference, but I never knew why.
I guess the weird part for me is facebook with ex's and keeping them around. Maybe some people have hope of getting back together, or just keeping in contact (above poster...)

Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,476,222 times
I don't friend people in the first place. The only ones who are on my FB page are people I actually know or have met or want to stay in touch with and this is the only place to do so. I have lots of friends and relatives who live 1000s of miles away. But I don't friend people I don't know or I don't like or whose beliefs I absolutely don't agree with. No point in friending someone if you're just going to hate their posts all the time.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,988,187 times
I used to be one of those who would always defriend ex boyfriends, etc. I would also argue on FB, etc.

I've since grown up.

Ahh...those drama-filled college days.

What..? I've admitted the problem and I don't do it anymore. Don't judge me.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 AM

442 posts, read 615,671 times
I don't at all understand keeping an ex on your friend list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships