Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:42 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,711,445 times

Advertisements

I've got a pretty conservative friend, very Catholic, who's gonna be an engineer once he finishes college. He's already interned at GM and Toyota and GE is up next for him. Hell of a future.

Also have a friend who used to be very liberal but has moved a bit to the center as he's gotten older. He's a creative type, wants to start some sort of skateboarding crew and maybe open up a shop.

Neither is particularly extreme though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,339,167 times
My most extreme friends are right wing. One is my father who loves Sarah Palin and Fox News. then there are a few that I went to high school with who worship the Military Industrial Complex and call Muslims things like "towel heads".

I am pretty liberal myself but I agree with conservatives on a few things but most of my views line up with Democrats.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,169,113 times
I agree interesting thread. I find that extreme individuals tend to wear on me quickly and become bothersome since their route of conversation ends up revolving around their extreme view points, which end up being hypocritical in nature. I tend to be a bit more liberal than conservative but end up most of the time somewhere in the middle.

One friend is extreme right wing and very religious. She believes everything Rush Limbaugh says. A stay at home mom that has been married 4 times. She has cheated on every husband she has been married to. She thinks welfare and abortion should be illegal but has done both in her life. She feels strongly that people should not get hand outs and work for what they have. She lives off one of her deceased ex husband's SS that is actually meant for her children. She lives in a 3500 sft home in an upper middle class suburb and feels sorry for women that have to work. The home is actually in her parents name. She goes to church every sunday and where she met husband #4 while still married to husband #3. She is pretty sure Obama is the anti-christ and her church thinks so too. She did surprise me and state that she does believe homosexuals are born that way and doesn't agree with her church that being gay is a sin. She doesn't believe in same sex marriage though. Its only meant for straight people. Ya know, people like her that truly believe in the sanctity of marriage.

My SIL is an extreme liberal. She is a teacher and prides herself on being an educator. One that gives back to her community. The truth is she went to college for Philosophy and couldn't find a job. She is very pro-union, berates anyone that shops at Wal-Mart and claims to only buy american made goods, all while she wears her favorite sneakers made in Indonesia. She actually hates teaching and talks ill of her students and their white trash parents. She believes in gay rights but will often refer to gays as ****. She believes the government pumps ghettos full of drugs to keep black people down and we should all do more for the black communities, however several years ago a black family moved in next door to her and she promptly sold her house. She claims to be green, recycles and hates anyone that drives an SUV. It was okay though when she purchased a V8 custom van to pull her 30 ft camper with. Its not a SUV after all.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,150,245 times
Most of my friends are on the liberal side and fairly apolitical, one is a supporter of 'Cascadia' the independent movement, which I'm lukewarm about at best.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:29 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,327,533 times
I try to avoid people who have extreme views whenever possible too...My husband and I stopped going to a local coffee house because they keep their big screen TV on FOX News everyday. (Blaring loudly!)...We used to go there to relax and have coffee. But it started to feel like a "GOP church" after awhile...I'd feel the same way if they blared MSNBC everyday too and "left-wing stuff."...Sometimes it's nice to put "hot-topics" like politics and religion aside and just be an average and "regular" person with no "pressing agenda!".. Don't you think?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,339,167 times
^ I know what you mean. The local diner by me constantly has Fox News on day and night. The owner seems to be very conservative and it just annoys me.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 AM

10,180 posts, read 20,811,916 times
I avoid people who subscribe to extreme beliefs, be it politics, religion, sports, or fill in the blank.

I do have a friend who lives his life in extremes, that is, he overindulges in everything he does. Drinking, eating, gambling, spending, etc., and being around him for any length of time can be exhausting. He's fun in small doses, but I can't be around him on a daily basis.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:38 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,196,385 times
I just can't tolerate extreme beliefs. Whether it's political, religious, or anything else. I actually cut off quite a few people who were extremely close minded.....If you didn't subscribe to their religion, or political views they's get belligerent & obnoxious.
One example of how extreme people can take religion.....I knew a guy who is an extreme Christian, who hasn't been w/ a women for 20 years. He is in his 50's. He says women are the root cause of all sin. He also prays for hardships to happen to his own family- so that they can come to be on their knees, and find Jesus.
To me, that's just sick.

Btw, I don't have anything to do w/ him. I find people like that are really toxic.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:16 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,994,903 times
I have a homeless friend and another a successful businessman. I have friends that can be religious but I can't tolerate extreme beliefs. I also have friends that don't have religion at all.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:41 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,160,182 times
I communicate with some extreme people that believe that generalisations are the way forward, stereotypes are 100% accurate and that their opinions are facts.

That's just on C-D.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships