Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 AM

442 posts, read 615,516 times

Advertisements

Do you think with cell phones and texting that people have the expectation you'll always be available?

I have a cell phone, often when I'm at home I'll have it turned to silent. If there is a true emergency people that know me well can use my landline.

So someone called me on my cell phone to ask a favor that had a time sensitive nature to it. I actually didn't see the call until a couple hours had passed I wouldn't have done the favor anyway, but they were mad that I didn't call them back sooner. I personally find that expectation a little silly, but it seems like it is becoming more common, since cell phones provide greater access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
I think some people do have that expectation, and some people live up to that expectation, sleeping with the phone next to the bed, having it out on their desk or the dinner table, etc. I have a few friends who will send a text, and if you don't answer in the next 10 minutes will call twice and send three more texts. I think of it as the phone is for my convenience, not anyone else's. Sometimes I'll leave it downstairs while I'm upstairs, or it's off while I'm at a movie or dinner, and the world doesn't end.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,847 times
I pay for my cell phone bill for my convenience, not someone elses. Some people live around their cell phone, I do not.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
Good topic! Thanks for starting the thread...Well I'm grateful that cell phones were invented. They make life easier in many respects...But they can definitely be a "curse" and a big annoyance at times too...Right now I have to keep my phone "on" most of the time because my son is in an acute care facility. He's had brain tumors...But normally I like to "disappear" at times.. YUK! I don't want to feel like I'm on somebody else's "leash." Or "on-call" 24/7 like a doctor or plumber or ??...When my husband was alive we never called or texted each other when we "ran errands" or went out by ourselves for a little while. (Except for emergencies.)...We wanted to give each other a little space and freedom. It's no fun to be "bothered" all the time with "petty stuff!"...One of my acquaintances seemed shocked and upset when I didn't answer my cell phone one day and she had to leave a message. She left a rather arrogant message like: "Where in the world can you be?"....I don't bring my cell phone in with me when I take a bath because I don't want it to get wet or full of hot-steam etc. And I don't really care for arrogant people who think I'm at their "beck and call" and on their "leash!"

Old 08-06-2012, 12:52 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,716 times
I laugh at people who get upset that I don't reply to their texts in 0.6 seconds. Heck if you're on fire, don't text ME, call 911

Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Not sure if this fits but I always answer my phone, texts not so much. If my little sister calls me from an unknown number and she needs me then I will answer the phone. It could be anyone and any kind of situation. If I was unaware of the call then that's a different story. And if a text isn't an emergency, you won't get a reply very fast.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,929 times
I don't get it either. I keep my cell in my purse during the week and I keep that in the bedroom, so if I'm in the living room, etc. I'm not going to hear it. If I take it out of my purse, I'm going to end up forgetting to put it back, then I won't have it with me when I might need it. I do have a land line people can reach me on. I have caller ID and I use it to screen calls.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
I find when it come to cell phones there are three distinct groups....

The ones that think it's cool to never use it and brag about this fact.
(why have one?)
The ones that think it's cool to have it ringing or buzzing at you every 5 seconds.
(no real life?)

And the ones that use it as I believe was originally intended. If you need to make a call make it. I like the texting because it gives me a chance to send someone a message and they can answer it when it's convienent to them.
My husband is a diabetic, my son in in the Army. I want to be acessible at all times.
That doesn't mean I'm on it all the time. We've got more minutes in our rollover account than we'll ever use.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
Do you think with cell phones and texting that people have the expectation you'll always be available?

I have a cell phone, often when I'm at home I'll have it turned to silent. If there is a true emergency people that know me well can use my landline.

So someone called me on my cell phone to ask a favor that had a time sensitive nature to it. I actually didn't see the call until a couple hours had passed I wouldn't have done the favor anyway, but they were mad that I didn't call them back sooner. I personally find that expectation a little silly, but it seems like it is becoming more common, since cell phones provide greater access.
When it comes to cell phones, there is a pure culture of instant gratification for some who are definitely impatient.

If someone behaves towards me that way calling me on my cell and I cannot answer it, apparently thinking I did not call them back "in time," they need to get over it. And yes, it has happened to me. Life is too short to worry what other people think, though same as you, I do worry about that sometimes.

I turn off my cell a lot, especially at night or mute it at work, when I cannot take calls.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post

Yes. I think cell phones create unrealistic expectations and demands among family, friends, and people at work. That is why I would only have one for emergency purposes (car breaking down on the highway, etc.) and would not give anyone else the number. When I am out, I am out. When people get irked by that, I just say, "Somehow, we managed to make it to the mid-90s without instant access all the time. There was even a time when people called and if no one was home, the phone just rang and rang and you couldn't leave a message. You had to call back later. Oh, the hardship!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships