Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 PM

845 posts, read 1,351,661 times

Advertisements

I am by no means an outgoing person, but I can talk to some people out of the blue or join a conversation. Except for the receptionist.

She is relatively good looking. I want to say about 21 to 23 years old, but what ever it is, I can't bring myself to talk to her. I also get the feeling that if I'm talking to someone in front of her, I get the "eyes on me" routine. Or the question pops into my head or the feeling, "Why doesn't he talk to me like that?"

The point of this post was not meant to be about the job, but about the receptionist. I've noticed she is able to fulfill her job, unless it involves me. Again, today, I had a long 2-hour training session that started this morning. I hear my name on the PA system saying, "You have a call on line one." I know I heard it, a few other people asked who called for me. I check my cell phone to see if it was anybody that knew my number and the office number. Nothing, no missed calls. I must have walked in front of her desk 20 times and she didn't say a word. By the end of the day, I turned to her before I was going to walk out the door and I asked, "Who called for me?" She says, "Oh, it was from another company asking how do you do something. You were the second person they asked for but they went on to another person and got the information from them."

While missing the phone call wasn't a big deal, it was taken care of, she still didn't relay the message. There were other times, too, that she didn't pass off a message to me that was a bit important.

Is there anything really I can do in this situation? Do I "bit the bullet" per say and talk to her more?

Last edited by mitopcat; 08-30-2012 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 08:43 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,565,011 times
I think you suffer from caligynephobia. I did too until I reached 50 or so.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,936,819 times
I'm not quite understanding the point of the post. Are you saying that because you are nervous about talking to her, and don't talk to her very much, that she's retaliating against you my not doing her job where you are involved?

If so, then this is more of a work performance issue on her part and not an issue with you being nervous around pretty girls.

A receptionist is supposed to provide certain services for everyone in the office. Just because you don't stand around and make small talk and chit-chat with her does not mean she can drop the ball about giving you your calls and messages. I don't make much chit-chat with most of our support staff, but if they used that as a reason to not do their job where I'm involved, their supervisor would certainly hear about it.

I would let this one time slide, but if it happens again, let her know that you really needed that call, and what she shoudl do int he future. If you are nervous talking to her in person, e-mail her. that way it's alos in the record that you addressed a peprformance issue with her. Then if she does it again, inform her supervisor. She can be drop-dead gorgeous, but she is still expected to do her job, and she needs to be held accountable when she doesn't.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:43 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,387,307 times
I would send her a friendly e-mail: "By the way, I know that I missed that call today and that you forwarded it to someone else, but in the future, please make sure that I receive all calls. Thanks". Get a receipt that it was read.

By doing it this way, you have a record that your wishes have been communicated. If it happens again, e-mail a second request with a copy to her supervisor. You should not have that situation occur again. I always send a bcc to myself and then keep the info in a separate Word file.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:10 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,313,097 times
I think you and her have got a "thing going on"....funny how sometimes when people "like" someone it makes them more shy around them, ..I think you should ask her if she's into having lunch with you one day...what do you say?

Old 08-31-2012, 02:28 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,707,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I am by no means an outgoing person, but I can talk to some people out of the blue or join a conversation. Except for the receptionist.

She is relatively good looking. I want to say about 21 to 23 years old, but what ever it is, I can't bring myself to talk to her. I also get the feeling that if I'm talking to someone in front of her, I get the "eyes on me" routine. Or the question pops into my head or the feeling, "Why doesn't he talk to me like that?"

The point of this post was not meant to be about the job, but about the receptionist. I've noticed she is able to fulfill her job, unless it involves me. Again, today, I had a long 2-hour training session that started this morning. I hear my name on the PA system saying, "You have a call on line one." I know I heard it, a few other people asked who called for me. I check my cell phone to see if it was anybody that knew my number and the office number. Nothing, no missed calls. I must have walked in front of her desk 20 times and she didn't say a word. By the end of the day, I turned to her before I was going to walk out the door and I asked, "Who called for me?" She says, "Oh, it was from another company asking how do you do something. You were the second person they asked for but they went on to another person and got the information from them."

While missing the phone call wasn't a big deal, it was taken care of, she still didn't relay the message. There were other times, too, that she didn't pass off a message to me that was a bit important.

Is there anything really I can do in this situation? Do I "bit the bullet" per say and talk to her more?
Truly beautiful women frighten most decent men & women. They feel the instant primal attraction and don't know how to hold it in check.

Once just before I retired I happened to run into a former female coworker out to the blue. I was so stunned by her beauty in office clothing that I was utterly speechless !!!!

Now mind you I've been married for over 47 years now and I felt feelings in that instant that I hadn't felt since I met my wife way back when. Primal attraction is rough on the old ticker!!

Because this lady and I have been friends for years she quickly figured out that I was "shorting out" over her looks. She excused herself and went on her way. I collected myself and went back to work.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 08-31-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships