Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 AM

555 posts, read 1,184,607 times

Advertisements

Suppose you have two friends. Both are attracted to each other but know they could never date, as it would not be a match besides the physical part of it. They get along really well, have never even fought and just enjoy being around each other.Although there is some flirting there, and the occasional joke of sex it has never quite gone there except for a quick kiss.

In your opinion, would a one time sexual encounter ruin this friendship? What should be done on both parties parts to break that sexual tension that is there? If a sexual encounter should happen, how or what would be the best way to go about doing it?

Basically I would hate to have a good friendship ruined over a 30 second orgasm, but at same time if it would not ruin the friendship be a great way to bring us closer.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
How do you know it wouldn't work? If the two were friends already, there's obviously common ground. And if there's chemistry, there's something else, too. Lots of great relationships have been built on less.

So quit overthinking it already.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM

10,052 posts, read 18,098,797 times
I agree with the previous poster, why not try for a RELATIONSHIP with this person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
Basically I would hate to have a good friendship ruined over a 30 second orgasm, but at same time if it would not ruin the friendship be a great way to bring us closer.
Maybe I am cynical but I think FWB is insane and I don't see how it works unless both parties can do something that intimate without any feelings involved at all (and that is impossible for me to imagine, but maybe this generation is REALLY different from mine). I am an old fart but my students (college age) talk to me about hook-ups etc. on our campus (I teach very academic courses on sexuality, the body, etc.) and even they say "well, they don't really work" unless both parties are REALLY on the same page -- which is often NOT the case. (FWIW, the academic literature on this topic is basically in agreement with this.)

As for sex bringing friends closer -- really?!! Gee, go ahead and have sex with all your friends that you want to be closer to.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 AM

676 posts, read 1,262,454 times
Well you have several possible outcomes:

1) you decide you both want something more and become a couple

2) you're both happy with a one time thing or a casual, ongoing thing

3) one person feels more strongly about the relationship than the other, which introduces all sorts of tension into the friendship, which is likely to destroy it.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,334,204 times
you have to talk about it with that other person

Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,510,471 times
Quote:
Suppose you have two friends. Both are attracted to each other but know they could never date, as it would not be a match besides the physical part of it. They get along really well, have never even fought and just enjoy being around each other.Although there is some flirting there, and the occasional joke of sex it has never quite gone there except for a quick kiss.

In your opinion, would a one time sexual encounter ruin this friendship? What should be done on both parties parts to break that sexual tension that is there? If a sexual encounter should happen, how or what would be the best way to go about doing it?

Thanks
In my my experiences it does eventually ruin the friendship. Usually jealousy is the main culprit. The girl may see you with another women or you might see her with another guy. Feelings will get hurt.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 AM

555 posts, read 1,184,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
In my my experiences it does eventually ruin the friendship. Usually jealousy is the main culprit. The girl may see you with another women or you might see her with another guy. Feelings will get hurt.

Dont know if it makes a difference or not, but it is two guys

Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,098,797 times
Quote:
Dont know if it makes a difference or not, but it is two guys
That makes no difference in my answer. I still say, if you have so much in common and have so much fun together, why not take a chance on an actual relationship?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM

701 posts, read 1,564,453 times
I agree with the other posters in that you two should try for an actual relationship. No FWBs. No pseudo relationship without labels. A real one that you both agree on.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,787,625 times
I think a slightly tipsy makeout session would be perfect. If they decided it wasn't a match, they can blame the alcohol, laugh about their encounter, and be thankful it didn't go farther. If they decide they're more seriously interested, it's a funny story for the start of their relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships