Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,934,383 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you, but I feel like I let myself down when I am sarcastic or rude on this forum. It's not in my nature at all to be this way in person----but there's something about others' sarcasm or rudeness that brings out the worst in me. Perhaps it's because we're all hiding anonymously behind typed words. I am relatively new to the online forum "world." I joined to chat, learn some things, ask questions, take a pulse on what other people are interested in and talking about, etc. But I see so many really rude and obnoxious comments that it makes me think I've made a big mistake. And it's even worse when I find myself giving into temptation to be rude and obnoxious, too!

Can anyone else relate to this? Perhaps a new year resolution is in order for me. No more rude comments on the C-D forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM

730 posts, read 1,315,685 times
I couldn't agree with you more. Many, many times I don't post because I really dislike the condescending and rude comments from many of the posters.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM

20,410 posts, read 14,698,234 times
If anything I think I'm a bit less sarcastic on CD than I am in real life, because snarky tones and facial expressions don't translate, so too often people don't catch my jokes, think I'm serious, and just totally misread.

So I am more serious here...and I try not to be rude.

In fact, I try very hard to push back against the tides of bitterness, anger, judgment, and attitude by being accepting and at least attempting to provide productive suggestions and helpful ideas. If my first impulse is to be negative, I try to stop and think about it before making a post.

If I have one major flaw in my posting here, it's that I'm not good at brevity. Never have been. I write long posts that most people probably don't read.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,297,160 times
It took me awhile, after a few "infractions" (no posting allowed for so many days), I finally got it together, and although I've been insulted on numerous occasions on these forums, I always try to keep a civil tongue when I post..It's a challenge (sometimes) to post an opinion or response to another poster (especially one who is extremely condescending and insulting) without writing something rude back...That's what makes it so neat (in my opinion)...the challenge...and if nothing more these forums have helped me learn to speak in a compassionate way to others

Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,956 times
Default *raised hand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I don't know about you, but I feel like I let myself down when I am sarcastic or rude on this forum. It's not in my nature at all to be this way in person----but there's something about others' sarcasm or rudeness that brings out the worst in me. Perhaps it's because we're all hiding anonymously behind typed words. I am relatively new to the online forum "world." I joined to chat, learn some things, ask questions, take a pulse on what other people are interested in and talking about, etc. But I see so many really rude and obnoxious comments that it makes me think I've made a big mistake. And it's even worse when I find myself giving into temptation to be rude and obnoxious, too!

Can anyone else relate to this? Perhaps a new year resolution is in order for me. No more rude comments on the C-D forum!

I can relate to your post. I'm trying to be the bigger womyn and walk away from arguing with ignorant, close-minded, "smart" people. It's not even worth it... unless I'm bored and want to argue, then it's fun to infuriate them more and more and more as I sit and eat and laugh. But as I find myself continuing to mature, the constant back and forth bickering is sophoric and I just move on, even though the kid in me sometimes wants to put up a fight and not walk away. I just pat my kid-like ego on the head and say, "You know we're right, they just don't know it, no need to fight, I'll take you to go get an ice-cream cone."

Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 PM

20,410 posts, read 14,698,234 times
Well and also, the people who are the most rude and nasty to others come off as being angry and bitter. I find myself feeling sorry for them, because they don't seem to be having a very enjoyable time in life, to want to treat others that way for no reason when they don't even know them.

I once had an angry guy in traffic try to sideswipe me and then get out of his vehicle at the next light and come up and scream profanity at me. If I'd been a man, he would have wanted to fight. Since I was a woman he called me the worst names he could think of. My kids were in the backseat. I did nothing to deserve this, the guy was being psycho. It was a bit scary. Once we drove off and we were safe, I told the kids...that guy is going to have a heart attack and die because of his anger. I feel sorry for him. Think about that the next time you are about to lose your temper.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:45 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,528,876 times
I also relate to what you are saying.

I posted about my personal experiences living in a particular state and got slammed by people telling me I was lying, that it must have been me and it couldn't be the people, etc... I found myself on the defensive and getting nasty. I decided to stop posting in that forum......

Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,847,565 times
Ah, forum trolling. A subject I know about.

When I was younger I was a bitter, angry troll on a few forums. I've been banned from countless forums so I'm use to resentment. The past few years I've been more mature on what I post and how I come across. I still have my sarcasm, but I try to go with more humor. Even after rough days I don't make others pay for it, like I did in my past. The one thing trolls hate the most is ignoring what they post, because they just want attention. In the past I think I saw usernames as just that, just a name on my screen without feelings. Thankfully I know now that real people with real feelings are behind their posts and I finally take that into consideration. When you give people anonymity, there are people that will always exploit it.

I'm very sarcastic in real life, but I'm only sarcastic towards those who understand sarcasm. I've tried sarcasm with people that don't understand it and it just doesn't go over well.

I'm happy I matured, who knows how many forums I would of been banned from now if I had the same teen attitude I use to have haha.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,934,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
Ah, forum trolling. A subject I know about.

When I was younger I was a bitter, angry troll on a few forums. I've been banned from countless forums so I'm use to resentment. The past few years I've been more mature on what I post and how I come across. I still have my sarcasm, but I try to go with more humor. Even after rough days I don't make others pay for it, like I did in my past. The one thing trolls hate the most is ignoring what they post, because they just want attention. In the past I think I saw usernames as just that, just a name on my screen without feelings. Thankfully I know now that real people with real feelings are behind their posts and I finally take that into consideration. When you give people anonymity, there are people that will always exploit it.

I'm very sarcastic in real life, but I'm only sarcastic towards those who understand sarcasm. I've tried sarcasm with people that don't understand it and it just doesn't go over well.

I'm happy I matured, who knows how many forums I would of been banned from now if I had the same teen attitude I use to have haha.
What a great and honest post, Quert! I really never knew what "trolling" meant but now I do. Also, I am happy you are growing you self-awareness. That is definitely a sign of maturity!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:57 PM

524 posts, read 844,342 times
It really bothers me how many threads are derailed by bickering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships