Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 08:00 AM

455 posts, read 1,500,143 times

Advertisements

So my younger brother (just turned 21) is convinced he should join the Marines.

He's been in college for the past 3 years, and more or less flunked out. He started as an Electrical Engineering major, changed to Civil Engineering Technology, then to Industrial Design (making buildings look pretty), then to Glass Blowing (evidently, this is an actual major). He (and my parents) are up to their eyeballs in debt.

He just got diagnosed with mono (actually the end stages of it), got busted being high on pot in the glass lab and was forced to withdraw from all his glass classes by the school. In short, he's been a bit of a screwup (which is sad since he got a 1450 on his SATs).

So now he's lost his direction, and is convinced that school isn't for him. He thinks that he needs the forced discipline of the Marine Corp and is planning on signing up for the "Delayed Entry Program". Apparently, there's no real benefit in signing up for this program, other than giving him a little motivation to go to the gym and start working out. He's shot a gun only once in his life (about 10 years ago when visiting my uncle at a range), and he's never killed anything.

He wears corrective lenses (I believe around a -4.0 diopter) and wants to enter the sniper program. He also intends on getting LASIK surgery, but I remember reading that it can disqualify you for many positions as well. He also wants to go through Basic in San Diego, and thinks he can request the location. We live on the east coast, and I guess the standard base is Quantico, VA? He also has some rather grandiose ideas of being in the Special Forces (not sure what the exact title is for the Marines). Even though he knows only the very best of the best make it into such programs.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do believe that he needs some structure, but his ideas change on an almost weekly basis (he says he's been thinking about this for a few weeks). And as much as I support the troops in all of the various branches, I don't however support the war and the administration that is driving it. It is an incredibly honorable and noble thing to fight for ones country. I have a few very good friends and a cousin that are in various military branches, and would never dream of saying a bad thing about them or their fellow troops.

Additionally, I'm not sure that the Marines would pay back the money he already owes for tuition. I've suggested he look at being a firefighter or a cop/trooper, similarly action filled, but also allows him to have a home life (also with a lot less risk of ending up dead) as well as commanding a better salary and some choice in his life.

I know the government claims it takes care of its troops, but we all know it is mostly lies. There are nearly as many retired troops living homeless on the streets as there are living in homes. The VA has become a joke and isn't able to provide the level of care for it's retired troops that they deserve.

I know it's not my decision, but I can't help but to try and influence him a bit. I'd rather see my brother stay alive and in strong mental condition (meaning no PTSD).

Any words of wisdom/advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:10 AM

558 posts, read 2,250,158 times
I totally agree with your feelings about this. In our newspaper this morning, there was an article about 2 VA hospitals here that are turning people away because they are out of beds/resources. My Dad, a WWII vet, had to wait 16 mos. for an appointment at the VA clinic in his town!

All you can do, as he is an adult, is talk, talk, talk and share all of your concerns and feelings. At least you will know you did what you could. You cannot save people from themselves...and there is always the possibility that this will be an acceptable answer for him, even though it may not feel like it right now.

There are support groups for family members of servicepeople--I would look one up and check it out. God bless!!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,154,200 times
My BF was a Marine from 1993-1997, got out as a sergeant. Joining the Marine Corps was a great decision for him, but it was a very different world when he joined. Bill Clinton was in charge, so we weren't at war when he was on active duty.

Serving in the military does not mean that you'll get pampered by the US government for the rest of your life. My BF qualifies for certain benefits (such as VA loans) but he has to take care of himself, including his healthcare. He does get free tuition, but I don't think the USMC will pay your brother's student loans. As desperate as the US military is for warm bodies, the USMC usually doesn't have the same recruiting problems as other branches of the military (like the Army). The Marine Corps is a smaller, more elite branch...and deservedly so. I don't think anybody gets their a$$es busted like US Marines do.

He should be aware that once you join the Marine Corps, they own your a$$ and everything attached to it. He needs to be ready to sacrifice his privacy and the freedom he once enjoyed to go wherever he wants whenever he wants, to sleep late, to eat what he wants when he wants, etc. Also, if you change your mind once you join, tough *****. You either serve your commitment or you go to prison.

I could pass this on to my BF and see what he has to say. PM me if you want me to do this.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,539,058 times
Similar experience with the nephew of a friend. The military was his absolute last chance in life. Got messed up with drugs, kicked out of college for stealing from everyone to buy drugs...multiple rehabs, family well off (he'd been spoiled rotten and bailed out his entire life).

So he signs up for the army, they give him an IQ test and come to find out he's smart, sent after to boot camp to intelligence school, would have had a nice safe intelligence desk job until he failed three drugs test in a row (apparently the limit) and was kicked out with a bus ticket. He's currently living under a bridge.

Perhaps someone with your brothers amount of college education, might be useful in other areas other than front line.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:25 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,732,142 times
If he's set on the military, can you steer him to something like the Air Force or even the Coast Guard? He'll still get to wear a uniform and get a government paycheck, but it's less likely he'll get blown up fighting Bush's war.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 AM

283 posts, read 1,384,998 times
I want to join the military. Your brother and I are the same. I am thinking that if I join the navy and get into shape. I will pass into the navy seals and become one. Than after serving there I will become a top secret warrior like solid snake. I reallly hope that does happen though. How do you take the military IQ test? I think I would qualify for some intelligence post.
Also I am kind of a college dropout like he is. I have lost all ambition in life and I don't know why? Anyways my dad thinks I need a gf or at least a friend. So we both are probably depressed.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,737,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi-in-Arlington-Heights View Post
I want to join the military. Your brother and I are the same. I am thinking that if I join the navy and get into shape. I will pass into the navy seals and become one. Than after serving there I will become a top secret warrior like solid snake. I reallly hope that does happen though. How do you take the military IQ test? I think I would qualify for some intelligence post.
Also I am kind of a college dropout like he is. I have lost all ambition in life and I don't know why? Anyways my dad thinks I need a gf or at least a friend. So we both are probably depressed.
Military enrollment is not the answer to treat depression.

And I honestly hope you are not relying on HOPE that everything goes well for you in the military. Real life is not romanticized like the movies where Navy Seals are all heroes and everyone who joins gets to work in intelligence. You better know exactly what you want and be absolutely sure that having your entire life regimented, laid out, and in danger at almost all times is for you.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 AM

223 posts, read 694,488 times
um, the military aint all peaches and cream.

I was on track to go to Annapolis, to become a pilot and fly F/A-18s. I scored 1450 on my SATs, had top grades and got my endorsements.
Then I woke up and realised I could die doing something I didn't agree with. Hell I could just die.

Best thing you can do? Give him a blunt on the bus ride to boot, tell him to smoke it for one last hoorah. He'll thank you for that long walk back home when he's older.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,945,034 times
I was in the Army for 6 years, and it was one of the best times of my life. However, military life is not for everyone and if your brother has bombed out on several occasions in civilian life, he had better get his act together before he joins the Marines or he will be in for a rude awakening. I was fully prepared for the Army, and was pretty disciplined but when I got in I only then realized what I had gotten myself into. It's rough, and once you are in, they own your behind. It could be good for him, but it could also be troublesome. Given the current situation, the Marines and the Army are being stretched pretty thin and asked to do a lot. All of the forces are, but especially the Marines and the Army. He had better be prepared to go to Iraq if he joins up. I wish I could give you some kind of advice that would clear things up, but it's not all black and white. When I was in, the Army was good for me and I almost decided to stay until retirement but decided to get out. Good luck to you and your brother.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:09 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,126,359 times
He'd probably still be content blowing glass if it wasn't for getting caught smoking pot.
It sounds like he could use some counseling or worldly advice. Maybe a former teacher or a parent of one of his friends whom he respects, or even from a local family service agency that offers couseling at a reduced rate.
I know a person who joined the USMC and was very happy driving huge trucks and heavy equipment. Now he's out and wants to continue the vocation.
At least ecourage him to speak with other recruiters, especially if he would like to go somewhere like San Diego. What about the Navy or Coast Guard? The Navy might be able to provide more compatible opportunities.
Why doesn't he just transfer to another college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships