Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:39 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,499 times

Advertisements

Don't let him do it, at least not at this point. If he already has three years of college he needs to finish up school first and get a degree. Even if it wasn't the one he originally wanted. At least that way he can go in as an officer.

Going in as an officer will mean a huge difference if he decides to make the military a career. Plus if he doesn't, then separating as an officer will look very good on his resume. There is a huge difference between going in the military as an officer and going in as an E-1. As an officer his pay and benefits are much better, as is his standard of living.

My advice would be to find someone you know personally that actually served as an officer and let him have a sit down with your brother. (and not a recruiter) I was in the military for 10 years and I never met an officer that regretted going in as an officer. But I met lots of enlisted guys that regretted not going in with a commission.

Joining the marines as a sniper sounds rather glamorous, especially during a time of war, but your brother is very close to a college degree and completing it is the one single thing he can do at this point in his life to ensure his future's a successful one. He can still join the military, what's one more year in school first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 01:23 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Don't let him do it, at least not at this point. If he already has three years of college he needs to finish up school first and get a degree. Even if it wasn't the one he originally wanted. At least that way he can go in as an officer.

Going in as an officer will mean a huge difference if he decides to make the military a career. Plus if he doesn't, then separating as an officer will look very good on his resume. There is a huge difference between going in the military as an officer and going in as an E-1. As an officer his pay and benefits are much better, as is his standard of living.

My advice would be to find someone you know personally that actually served as an officer and let him have a sit down with your brother. (and not a recruiter) I was in the military for 10 years and I never met an officer that regretted going in as an officer. But I met lots of enlisted guys that regretted not going in with a commission.

Joining the marines as a sniper sounds rather glamorous, especially during a time of war, but your brother is very close to a college degree and completing it is the one single thing he can do at this point in his life to ensure his future's a successful one. He can still join the military, what's one more year in school first?
The only problem is he's changed major's every year he's been there, so in reality, he's nowhere near finishing school. That's a good idea though, I'll see if I can find an officer or retired officer that we know.

Thanks so much for the advice so far :-)

Old 10-29-2007, 01:25 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,374,452 times
How would he be better-able to handle entering Marine-hood with a degree under his belt in Glass blowing?

THAT, by the way, I think is the coolest major I've heard of. I'm googling online courses and workshops that might let me play around with it as we speak! Good stuff!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:33 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,150,997 times
RowingMunkeyCU, I PM'd you my Marine BF's answers to your original questions.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Sounds like he could use some structure in his life, the military could be the answer. My second cousin just went to Iraq and although I worry for his safety I couldn't be any prouder of him.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:02 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
RowingMunkeyCU, I PM'd you my Marine BF's answers to your original questions.
native, thanks so much for getting his opinions and knowledge. it's tough trying to figure out what the truth is from the recruiters versus what's BS (or at least, stretched truth). I'll pass on the info to my brother as well.

Fiddlekitten, I also agree btw, that it's a cool major (but not likely the best ROI for $40k per year, he's going to RIT in Rochester, NY). It was great fun getting to play with glass rods and Bunsen burners in chemistry in high school ;-) Probably wouldn't aid him any in handling Marine lifestyle, but would benefit him in the possibility of being an officer (showing his fortitude).

Roaddog, I agree that it could be the answer, it's just difficult to accept, ya know... I want him to be around for a long time to come. But it's not really what I want, it's what he wants and what's best for him.

My first cousin is in the Army, started as a cook, they found out he can shoot, and is now a marksman. He's currently in Iraq (as far as we know), on his 4th tour, after having served in Afghanistan and Germany. Definitely proud of him, it was what he needed (that side of the family has a lot of problems, it provided him a way out).

Old 10-31-2007, 06:36 AM

555 posts, read 2,702,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Military enrollment is not the answer to treat depression.

And I honestly hope you are not relying on HOPE that everything goes well for you in the military. Real life is not romanticized like the movies where Navy Seals are all heroes and everyone who joins gets to work in intelligence. You better know exactly what you want and be absolutely sure that having your entire life regimented, laid out, and in danger at almost all times is for you.
I was in the USAF for 5 years and it changed my life and gave me the opportunity to go to college and see the world. I never felt like my life was in danger. Very few people in the military get killed. I was in danger more in my civilian police life than in the military. Navy Seals are usually heroes and so are the rest of the people in the military.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,540,413 times
Served 23 years in USAF. LOVED it! Some of my best war stories involve USMC air & ground crews! ALL of the services provide excellent opportunities; educational and in many other ways, as well. They all also have ways for their members to complete their education plans and possibly earn a commision if so desired. Best of luck to your brother!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:17 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,734,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
I was in the USAF for 5 years and it changed my life and gave me the opportunity to go to college and see the world. I never felt like my life was in danger. Very few people in the military get killed. I was in danger more in my civilian police life than in the military. Navy Seals are usually heroes and so are the rest of the people in the military.
It is my understanding that people who work in intelligence often suffer from psychological breakdowns because they are always in fear of being snooped out. Of course, I cannot back this up with personal experience so perhaps what I heard was skewed.

Did you work in intelligence or another sector?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,936 times
My little brother (who is 22) joined the marines last year.

It was a good fit for him, because he's always been a gun nut/survivalist, etc.

However, he is married - and it is a huge burden on his wife (and us, the rest of his family) as well. Ask him to think how it will impact others in his life.

Also, *PLEASE* make sure his MOS won't get him sent to die in iraq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships