Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:44 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times

Advertisements

This is often my way of dealing with situations where strangers say or do something where nothing good can come of me saying something back.

Two recent examples :

In the city and three male beggers ask me for "some coins" I ignored them and kept walking.

Another time I was out and two young girls (I'm talking 16-18, I'm 34) compliment me on something I'm wearing trying to start a convo. Again I ignore them.

I don't always do this, but when I get the vibe that nothing good is going to come replying thats what I do.

Under similar circumstances do you nearly always do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
This is often my way of dealing with situations where strangers say or do something where nothing good can come of me saying something back.

Two recent examples :

In the city and three male beggers ask me for "some coins" I ignored them and kept walking.

Another time I was out and two young girls (I'm talking 16-18, I'm 34) compliment me on something I'm wearing trying to start a convo. Again I ignore them.

I don't always do this, but when I get the vibe that nothing good is going to come replying thats what I do.

I usually don't ignore beggars outright but I do keep the exchange short. But your lack of response to the girls is puzzling.

[what's wrong with a simple, "Thanks?"]

Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I usually don't ignore beggars outright but I do keep the exchange short. But your lack of response to the girls is puzzling.

[what's wrong with a simple, "Thanks?"]
lol zero interest in girls that age. A reply of thanks might Imply otherwise.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 PM

415 posts, read 764,514 times
this made something pop back up in my mind, I work down town Chicago, and I get off around midnight, well one night a beggar asked me for some change, I was honest, I said sorry I don't have any, Well he went off called me all sorts' of chit'' even following me as I walked ....
So next night I emptied all the change I had in my locker in to my pocket, I mean it's like 4 hand fulls..

sure enough, their he is so I make sure to head his way heading to the parking lot.. Yep, the arse hole ask, Hey you got change, emm sure I do , and I slid my hand in to my pocket and scooped it out, right on to the side walk and the lawn and I kept doing it while walking...change every where for a half block ,

O ya I forgot to tell you he was in a wheel chair......I never ran into him again, guess he changed locations.. err the bums ran him off when they found all that change laying around..

Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post

Two recent examples :

If someone says something to me I respond in some way, and I have never personally had anyone simply ignore me after I said something to them.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Default Hey

God gave us instincts, if your gut says there is something not right, get out. Its when we don't listen that we get introble.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
God gave us instincts, if your gut says there is something not right, get out. Its when we don't listen that we get introble.
I agree with Hawaiian by heart. Sometimes you get a feeling that tells you to keep moving, That staying will not a have a good outcome.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
God gave us instincts,

I doubt it. Your ancestors' experiences more likely gave you instincts. But thanks for trying to propagate your superstitions.

I also found it odd the original poster didn't at least say "Thanks" to the girls. What's the big deal?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
I'm a big believer in trusting your instincts, so if your instinct says to ignore a stranger, you should.

I tell my daughter that if someone is making her feel uncomfortable, not to worry about being rude--just remove herself from the situation as quickly as possible.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:35 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
Being ignored is my pet peeve. Ignoring should be used only when ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Remember the Golden Rule, "do unto others as you would have done to yourself." I know it sounds 1956, but it is the "golden" rule for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships