Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,248,700 times

Advertisements

Obviously you need to solve the #1 problem, which is that your are not in charge of your own life.

But that is another problem for another day.

The other thing you could do is trade in the car and get one in your name only.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,983,501 times
It's hard to believe that you have to drive to another state to buy a ring. There are no jewelry stores where you live?

If Monday is a holiday, the doctor's office won't be open either. So unless you can fabricate an emergency with your man parts that will require a trip to the ER or urgent care, that's going to be a little farfetched.

The best place to hide a lie is in between a couple of truths. If you're going to have trouble lying to this woman, pick something in the city that you're going to, and say you're going to see it. There must be some monument or landmark or something like that in the city you're going to (not a museum, they're usually closed on Mondays). Google it, find a little bit of info, then say that you've always wanted to go there, ever since you saw it in a movie (or read about it in a book). Then go. Take a couple pictures of whatever landmark or building you say you're visiting. Show them to her when you get back. If she asks if you did anything else there, say, "No, it's a holiday. Everything was closed."

Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,784,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's hard to believe that you have to drive to another state to buy a ring. There are no jewelry stores where you live?
Yes, there are other jewelry stores where I live -- the thing is, the very special girl that it is intended for wanted a very specific style, and she told me exactly what ring she wants. That particular ring happens to be in another state, and they don't have any local branches near me. I can't just order it online and have it shipped to me either, b/c the store that sells it will only allow a credit-based purchase transaction if the buyer is at the store on-site, in person.

Quote:
The best place to hide a lie is in between a couple of truths. If you're going to have trouble lying to this woman, pick something in the city that you're going to, and say you're going to see it. There must be some monument or landmark or something like that in the city you're going to (not a museum, they're usually closed on Mondays). Google it, find a little bit of info, then say that you've always wanted to go there, ever since you saw it in a movie (or read about it in a book). Then go. Take a couple pictures of whatever landmark or building you say you're visiting. Show them to her when you get back. If she asks if you did anything else there, say, "No, it's a holiday. Everything was closed."
Many thanks for the very helpful and valuable recommendation!!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,398,481 times
Something is not adding up here...

Unless you signed off on these things there is no way she could get herself on the title to the car and on the title to your house.

Either this is total BS or there is more to the story here.

For her to be on the title to the house she would have to file legal documents signed by you, the owner, or would have signed documents during the purchase of the home.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,281,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I have an elderly, dependent family member who currently lives with me (due to her being nearly 100% financially dependent on me). We live in something like a "detached condo-like" situation, since she and I both have our own detached, separately-partitioned floors, separate entrances and exits, and we each have our own separate utilities and eating/dining/kitchen areas. However, she is also on the title to my car (long story short, at the time I bought my car a few years ago, and without my advance knowledge or consent, she successfully manipulated the dealership I was buying the car from to add her to the car title, without asking me first...so by the time I bought the car, the damage was already done).

As a result of this situation, and again even though we both reside in completely separate living areas with no overlap, because she has free access to my car, and can't afford one of her own, she pretty much always wants to know wherever I am going, whenever I leave the house. She always asks, and doesn't exactly like to take "None of your business" for a answer

I would like to go for a 10-hour day trip this Monday to a different state to officially buy an engagement ring for the girl that I love and want to marry in the future, but I don't want to tell the family member -- not yet; that is for later on --, as it would set off alarm bells in her head, and she would very likely try to prevent an engagement from even happening, as she has historically seen women I have been interested in romantically as a financial threat to her. Therefore, to avoid prying questions from her on this, I am probably going to have to come up with an alternate reason of why I am going to be gone for 10 hours this Monday, that she will not get suspicious about.

Does anyone hopefully have any advice, on what I could say to her? I can't exactly tell her I'm going to work, because she knows Monday is a holiday. For prying family members who try to interfere in your life like this, does anyone have any examples of ways they were successfully able to make something like this happen, if they wanted to take the car out solo, but didn't want family members asking questions about why or where they were going?

Thanks in advance for anyone's kind help in answering!

ETA: FWIW, I pay all of the monthly mortgage payments on the house, and all of the monthly auto payments on the car, as the family member is insolvent and financially-dependent on me, and so she is therefore unable to contribute to household financial expenses.
That is just not possible unless you didn't read a word of what you were signing. Even then, she would have to have signed everything too. I don't buy it.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Unless you signed off on these things there is no way she could get herself on
the title to the car and on the title to your house.
I have no idea about the technical details of how she was added to the title of the car -- I didn't even know she was until she unilaterally and loudly declared she was on the title when I needed to drive it one day and she needed to as well, and so she said her need trumped mine, and she proceeded to take the car against my wishes. A call to the car dealership that I purchased the car from confirmed, in fact, that she was indeed on the title of the car. I can assure you that if I had known in advance that she was planning to do that, I would have certainly not have allowed that to occur.

The house, on the other hand, is a very long and complicated story. I willingly assented to her being on the title of the house, due to the particular circumstances involved, and it was a decision that would later come to cause me personal heartache.

Quote:
Either this is total BS or there is more to the story here.
I am sorry that you feel that way -- I can only report that I have made every effort to faithfully convey the truth here. What would I really have to gain by intentionally being untruthful, after all?

Quote:
For her to be on the title to the house she would have to file legal documents signed by you, the owner, or would have signed documents during the purchase of the home.
I won't get into the personal details of the business transaction, but as I alluded to above, the house circumstances I willingly agreed to. The car however, I most certainly *did not*...as that choice was taken out of my hands, by her...

Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,975,335 times
Wow. This is not good my friend, but you know that

I will skip everything else I want to say and just answer your original question...

You simply tell her you have to be at x-destination for your job first thing Tuesday morning and that since Monday is a holiday you'd rather drive the distance and have a little road trip to your work destination than fly early early on Tuesday.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That is just not possible unless you didn't read a word of what you were signing. Even then, she would have to have signed everything too. I don't buy it.
That is your prerogative, certainly. I however have remained 100% truthful in my accounting. I don't know *how* exactly she was added; I was just told retroactively by the car dealership, about a year or so following the original purchase, that she was. The car dealership did not elaborate, when I asked them for more info about the "how" part. Either way, you can choose to believe or disbelieve me, that is your call...

Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,458,086 times
If she is not on the loan as a co signer you can legally remove her name from the vehicle through your local DMV then cut your insurance to cover you alone then she does not have access to the vehicle. If she is financially dependent on you then she more than likely would qualify for social security or something like that and that would cut the financial ties. The issue with you driving out of state for an engagement ring is what I don't understand. Why would you drive 10 hours to purchase something you could purchase locally while out running other errands.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:56 PM

858 posts, read 1,816,743 times
Are you in some kind of psychological therapy? If not, please get some counseling.

Last edited by Merjolie8; 05-23-2013 at 12:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.