Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:43 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times

Advertisements

How would you describe your level of how sociable you are on planes when flying alone? I'm talking longish flights. Not a one or two hour flight. More people are anti-social in my experience, than the other way.

I've had some fun and got a couple numbers. If I feel like it I can be social. If not I stick to myself.
Its probably 60-40 in favour of stick to myself for me.
The funny thing is when I'm sociable I usually have a good time and the flight goes much faster.
Should do it even more.

Last edited by dave nz; 05-29-2013 at 03:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 03:03 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
If people ask me a question, I reply, and prolong the conversation if the person is interesting. This happens mostly on trans-atlantic flights.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:12 AM

59 posts, read 182,329 times
You should see my thread about FAs hitting on passengers. I think it depends where you are flying, for me, I had a guy reading some religious Islamic prayer next to me so I could not initiate any conversation. Plus, I did not want to offend him. But on contrary, on my return flight, there was this woman from ME traveling with her kids, I started talking and I killed 7 hours easily.

Although, I never met an interesting guy to start flirting or to get a number on flight. I usually get older couples or annoying little kids sitting next to me. Hahaha But I do agree with you, those flights can be really painful and flying alone sucks. Its always good to have someone to talk to.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:26 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,123 times
Not at all. At flights I just watch movies, TV-series, read books/magazines and sleep. I have very little interest to talk to the person next to me, as I will never meet them again.

Still, I like talking so sometimes they initiate a conversation and we can talk for a while.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:32 AM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
If people ask me a question, I reply, and prolong the conversation if the person is interesting. This happens mostly on trans-atlantic flights.
All depends on the airline.
Air France usually has a buffet set up in the back alley, and people socialize there drinking beverages and eating snacks. On the long trans-Atlantic flights people always gather there. I met some interesting individuals and even exchanged email addresses. Few became my friends.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:38 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,767 times
I travel Australia to USA and back every appx every two years. 2 or 3 plane flights, trains, taxi's and between 24-30 hours travel time.

I ALWAYS am Sociable, but not OVERLY. I love talking to other people about any subject that comes up but tend to keep away from personal things. One of my favorites subjects is to ask the person where they are from or where going to and then talk about that city in detail. That tends to open up more subjects. It makes the time go by faster.

I remember one year I decided to have a completely different "personality" and basically made up a fake life when I was talking to the husband and wife next to me. I talked about all my travels around the world (mostly taken from watching travel shows!) What an interesting flight that was, I might actually do that again sometime!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:46 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
I've not been on long flights in a long time.
...And back then I was still a young lad, so I didn't talk much because there was no one to talk to.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
I tend to let people make the first move so I don't feel I am imposing myself on anyone else. Having someone interesting ( I am lucky these days to have Hubby by my side ) to talk to can make the flight seem much shorter... Someone incredibly boring though can make the torture of a long haul even worse....

Old 05-29-2013, 04:31 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Situation by situation, for sure. I've had flights where I've been seated next to really interesting people, and had great conversations, and others where I just napped or read. I don't usually start conversations, but if somebody engages me in an interesting one, I'll do my part to continue it. It it's not interesting, I'll be polite, but let it peter out.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sash97 View Post

Although, I never met an interesting guy to start flirting or to get a number on flight. I usually get older couples or annoying little kids sitting next to me.
Yeah its luck of the draw. I also think some people have a warped view on business class. For the most part the people there keep themselves amused and aren't that sociable either. But I've only been a few times.

The last long flight I was on was economy. Actually had an attractive girl not far from me, she had the headphones on most of the flight. Otherwise might have started a conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships