Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,969,693 times

Advertisements

I think most of us have at least one strange neighbor - some have several. We think anyone who differs from our life-style is "strange" don't we?

There are only 13 houses on my street and I suppose there are that many foibles, if not more, among the residents thereof.

I believe my neighbors view me as the odd one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,124,266 times
I also had a single female at one time that lived right next door to me and she would leave her windows open during the winter time when it was cooler . I often heard her having sex and without getting graphic she was quite loud and so was her boyfriend . Although I dont know how much of a bf he was because everytime I saw her she was always rubbing up against a different guy . Boy I was never so glad to see someone move .

Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,817,815 times
We have really great neighbors and I'm kind of the block mom with all of the shorties. Even their pets come over for play dates with my boys. (dogs) There is one retired police officer that looks like a homeless guy and has never been much of anything other then a curmudgeon. I've avoided him from time to time as he can be really negative and unpleasant. He's pretty sick now and I talk to him when he walks his dog. I kind of feel sorry for him even though he did it to himself with his poor diet and alcohol abuse. He's still a human being, barely, and should be treated with kindness. I think?

Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,195,644 times
I had a good chuckle at the "call the police if you think he's weird" suggestion. What are the police going to do just because you say he has weird habits and does things that aren't totally normal compared to what you do every day? They can't arrest or cite somebody for being an oddball. They might decide to talk to the person, but I highly doubt anything will come of it. After that, just to spite the moronic, easily creeped out neighbor, the "weird" guy might start doing things just to irritate you.

I live in a somewhat upscale apartment complex. I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm weird. They seem to avoid me at all costs, won't even make eye contact or respond when I say "howdy" or "hello." The only one who actually talks to me is the relatively attractive brunette who lives across from me. I have a jacked up work schedule, so I am always gone during the tweaker hours. I also know whose cars are whose. When I see a vehicle that is out of the norm, it makes me curious. My head is always on a swivel. I am always fully aware of my surroundings. Too bad everybody else walks around carefree and without any worry of their own safety. Perhaps they'd be happy to know who it was who spotted a couple of turd stains in the adult diapers of life breaking into their vehicle. On second thought, it probably wouldn't change a thing about what they think about me. The only ones who know who called it in is the apartment management.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:45 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,449,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
When he first moved in, there was an older couple living in the house with him, but they have been gone for a few years and now there is a little girl I see occasionally and what I assume to be the mother but rarely see them outside but it is obvious they live there.

He has surveillance cameras all over the exterior of the house and the windows are blacked out. He even went as far as posting no trespassing signs all over the property.

There are "shady" people who come and go at all different times.

At one time there were people living in his garage but not anymore, not sure what that was about...

My wife thinks he is cooking meth or something in the house or he is either selling drugs or into human trafficking. There are other stories, but over the years there are too many to remember with the odd stuff that has gone on there.
This is not paranoia. If the OP is telling the truth, then clearly something weird and possibly illegal is going on in that house. If there is a child involved, then it warrants an investigation. There's live and let live, and then there's making sure a child or other people aren't being abused/trafficked/held hostage.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,399,669 times
I've got this odd ball drama queen neighbor and her imagination has gotten the best of her since the Ariel Castro story and she keeps calling the cops on everyone.

Rumor has it she was a hall monitor in grade school.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:57 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,021,474 times
I have new neighbors of about 2-3 months and they are outside ALL THE TIME. My bedroom is in the back of the house and their porch light shines in and I can hear them at all hours. I took my dog out at 4am this morning and they were out there. I have no idea when they actually sleep.

Also, my dog does not like something about them (which has never happened before).

They seem nice otherwise.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,874,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
With all you have been hearing about Ariel Castro types out there, check this out. My neighbor has the personality of a rock. He must know who I am, as he constantly stares at me when I am in my backyard. He looks over the fence while he is on his cell phone and peers into the yard but when I see him at the grocery store and he is directly in front of me in line (wearing what I can only describe as apocalypse attire) he never says a word. I have tried initiating conversation (actually, the last time he was staring at me I asked "What's up?" and he mumbled something and walked away.)

When he first moved in, there was an older couple living in the house with him, but they have been gone for a few years and now there is a little girl I see occasionally and what I assume to be the mother but rarely see them outside but it is obvious they live there.

He has surveillance cameras all over the exterior of the house and the windows are blacked out. He even went as far as posting no trespassing signs all over the property.

There are "shady" people who come and go at all different times.

At one time there were people living in his garage but not anymore, not sure what that was about...

My wife thinks he is cooking meth or something in the house or he is either selling drugs or into human trafficking. There are other stories, but over the years there are too many to remember with the odd stuff that has gone on there. The only way to describe it is he is "one odd dude"

The rest of our neighbors are awesome...so how about it, let's hear some odd neighbor tales!

These two things would concern me in a big way if I lived next to a person like this. Sure, I have shady people coming to my house too, but those are my in-laws....lol. But seriously, the "shady people coming and going at all hours" is usually a red flag for drug dealing (or worse). The surveillance cameras sound like he's a bit paranoid, too.

If nothing else, I would make a trip to the local police department and voice your concerns.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,557,191 times
I have a park on one side, and an empty rental on the other side. No one is directly across the street. I basically have no neighbors, and don't know anyone in my neighborhood except for the vacant home next door's owner. I take good care of my home and yard and don't engage people in conversation when I see them, simply because I dont know them and they are usually pre occupied when out and about. I'm sure most people think I'm weird. I'm actually perfectly normal, but it seems most around my neighborhood keep to themselves, as do I.

I would rather have cool neighbors, but no neighbors are better than most described on his thread. Think I will just count my blessings.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,874,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I had a good chuckle at the "call the police if you think he's weird" suggestion. What are the police going to do just because you say he has weird habits and does things that aren't totally normal compared to what you do every day? They can't arrest or cite somebody for being an oddball. They might decide to talk to the person, but I highly doubt anything will come of it. After that, just to spite the moronic, easily creeped out neighbor, the "weird" guy might start doing things just to irritate you.

You might be surprised at what the police will do when there is a lot of traffic at a house. A friend of mine had that situation happening with his neighbor in FL. He decided to snap some photos one evening using some night-time photography equipment. Well, sure enough, after running a few of the plates, it was determined that there were people with outstanding warrants visiting next door. It wasn't too much later that the police busted the place.

Granted, if you just had an oddball neighbor, the police would likely ignore them. But random, consistent car traffic is usually a good indicator of drug activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships