Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:54 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,744,496 times

Advertisements

Why not knock on his door and offer him some Brownies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 AM

5,547 posts, read 3,958,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
With all you have been hearing about Ariel Castro types out there, check this out. My neighbor has the personality of a rock. He must know who I am, as he constantly stares at me when I am in my backyard. He looks over the fence while he is on his cell phone and peers into the yard but when I see him at the grocery store and he is directly in front of me in line (wearing what I can only describe as apocalypse attire) he never says a word. I have tried initiating conversation (actually, the last time he was staring at me I asked "What's up?" and he mumbled something and walked away.)

When he first moved in, there was an older couple living in the house with him, but they have been gone for a few years and now there is a little girl I see occasionally and what I assume to be the mother but rarely see them outside but it is obvious they live there.

He has surveillance cameras all over the exterior of the house and the windows are blacked out. He even went as far as posting no trespassing signs all over the property.

There are "shady" people who come and go at all different times.

At one time there were people living in his garage but not anymore, not sure what that was about...

My wife thinks he is cooking meth or something in the house or he is either selling drugs or into human trafficking. There are other stories, but over the years there are too many to remember with the odd stuff that has gone on there. The only way to describe it is he is "one odd dude"

The rest of our neighbors are awesome...so how about it, let's hear some odd neighbor tales!
If there's nothing illegal (and I mean much beyond say smoking weed habitually, which is irrelevant to me) going on there, then he is the best prankster ever, given what's being hidden in plain sight here. More stories please

Old 09-03-2013, 02:07 AM

5,547 posts, read 3,958,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
A lot of paranoia. What happened to live and let live? Who cares if someone is so disturbed as to "look" at you? Put up your own cameras if you want to see what someone is doing. In todays world "spy" equipment is cheap. For God ssake dont call the police over every suspicion you have. Everyone is different and being different/secretive/weird is not a crime. When you have real evidence, like on tape, call the cops.
Many/most times, I would agree with the spirit of this post. Not in this case, given what was described. Sometimes circumstantial evidence (which can include intuition, as long as intuition isn't your only "ammunition") can be pretty overwhelming. It's up to the OP whether he wants to confront the neighbor (tactfully, you'd hope, but there might be no such thing as tactfully when dealing with someone who appears to avoid all interaction), call the authorities (anonymously, as said), or do nothing. But the odds that this house is producing aggregate injury to society are pretty high just as long as the short description offered here was accurate.

Also, I admit to potentially being a hypocrite in that I almost always exonerate the drug user (regardless of drug) while excoriating the supplier (assuming non-weed). But really it's probably not hypocritical to support the right to get high/risk self-destruction, as opposed to the right to profit off the risk of self-destruction of others. IDK, legalize and regulate everything IMO. Follow the Portuguese model.

The Castro fears are incredibly overblown, though...how many instances of that are documented? That and, what, Jaycee Dugard out in the Bay Area? It's a very very uncommon phenomenon. Statistically you have to think drug house here.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,838,761 times
I once had a neighbor that moved next door with one two pickup loads and he was by himself, I never saw visitors come by in the day time only night. He was friendly enough, he had a habit of parking his pickup in the garage and was always trying the garage door opener, just open fully and close like maybe 20 to 30 times a day easy. When we talked the never invited me in his house and declined entry into mine for any reason, while conversing with me he kept putting his right hand in his pant pocket in and out. He would always dart his eyes about looking over the neighborhood goings on. He didn't come out at night, visitors drove up the drive way and tooted the horn, porch lights came on they got out and went inside. Never staying more than a hour or so. I noticed he had small white boxes like you have now that tell you some one is in your yard or driveway. But this was in early 1981 and nothing like that was available to the public that I remember. After he was there a few months we had cars that would sit in the neighborhood, but no one would be in them, they were always 4 door sedans. One man I knew said that one appeared in the front of his house and it was there for 5 days. He reported the abandoned car and nothing was done about it. One day he came home and it was gone. Towards the end I noticed that they all either had a plastic box about the size of a child's metal lunch box on the front or back dash, it had square black holes in it, a few to a side. One morning while I was going to work, I saw the garage door open, his front door open. Odd
That afternoon about 2:00 my neighbor called and said that many vans and sedans were around his house in alley and they had our street blocked off. They were there when I got home, all men and women looked like government but no logo's or emblems on cars. I said hi to a couple when I got out of my pickup but they just stopped what they were doing and looked at me like the hated me. Ha, ha.
They left late that night and I talked to the Realtor that was selling the house and she said she got a call from the "bank" that had the note and took it on. I went in for a inspection to see the house and saw new carpet,new paint etc. through out the house. It looked brand new. This was about 6 months after the guy left. I have never found out what might have been happening. My best guess? He was either being hid out or hiding out..

Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,242,126 times
When I was in my 20's and my husband at the time and I were working very hard to build our life together (we'd bought a house etc.) I noticed that the neighbors across the street seemed to be home a lot, never worked too hard, drove the fanciest cars and the wife wore mink coats (I know that's not cool now). They appeared to be upper class and seemed to have it so easy for relatively young people and I commented to my husband that I'd like a life like that.

One day while we were eating dinner our basement apartment tenant came running to our door, knocked and said "turn on the TV now" and he came in and we all watched a huge drug bust across the street on TV. The camera crews were on our front lawn filming (we didn't know as we'd been at work at the time but it was airing later on the news). It was a huge sweep and he was charged with conspiring to import cocaine from Columbia. They were both arrested and their baby went somewhere. The cops left the garage door open and the lights on inside the house and drove by frequently. It was bizare for us. It was all over the news papers. Fairly soon the wife got out of jail (she was from a prominent family) and walked around with huge sunglasses on and spoke to no one. The husband got 5 years at Kingston Pen in Ontario Canada.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:42 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,444,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
There is one retired police officer that looks like a homeless guy and has never been much of anything other then a curmudgeon. I've avoided him from time to time as he can be really negative and unpleasant. He's pretty sick now and I talk to him when he walks his dog. I kind of feel sorry for him even though he did it to himself with his poor diet and alcohol abuse. He's still a human being, barely, and should be treated with kindness. I think?
Well, bless your heart. You sound like you think you are doing this man some kind of favor, just by talking to him.

Leave the poor man alone, the last thing he needs is someone in his life no matter how circumspect, who thinks he is subhuman just because he drinks.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:16 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,218,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I'm wondering if this is the same ^^^^attitude that neighbors of Ariel castro had ? maybe if they had called those girls would have been free alot sooner .Yes if you feel something is wrong call the police that is what you pay taxes for . I used to have a meth lab down the street from me and I did not even know it . One night my son drove by the house that had the meth lab and he told me "Mom you need to call the cops , that is a meth lab smell . He was in the police academy at the time . He is now a police officer . See you just never know . Those people were so nice too I would have never suspected them at all . Their house was always clean , the yard was always clean and had ornaments and their kids were clean and neat looking so you just never know .
It might be. But that's the chance you take unless you want everyone calling the cops on everything you do that they deem suspicious. The Castro events were rare and statistically insignificant in this discussion. I never mentioned they had to be nice...don't care. I just see no good out of escalating the tension by calling the cops. Right or wrong, your life is about to take a turn for the worse when you do this. Best case is he never talks to you and gives you menacing stares every day. Worst case is he stores you in his freezer to teach you not to meddle. Live and let live.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,999,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
This is not paranoia. If the OP is telling the truth, then clearly something weird and possibly illegal is going on in that house. If there is a child involved, then it warrants an investigation. There's live and let live, and then there's making sure a child or other people aren't being abused/trafficked/held hostage.
Unless you see something concrete, that is unlawful, you have no right to harass the neighbor. So what, he has a little kid and they are rarely outside. It's none of anyone's business. Getting a weird feeling about someone, and possibly finding out about a crime that is one in a million is NOT a reason to intrude on someone's privacy. Just because you think they're odd.

There could be a lot of reasonable explanations for all of those things. There was a poster here awhile ago that was convinced that her neighbor was stalking her, breaking into her property, etc. Turns out she was nuts.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:12 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,999,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
You might be surprised at what the police will do when there is a lot of traffic at a house. A friend of mine had that situation happening with his neighbor in FL. He decided to snap some photos one evening using some night-time photography equipment. Well, sure enough, after running a few of the plates, it was determined that there were people with outstanding warrants visiting next door. It wasn't too much later that the police busted the place.

Granted, if you just had an oddball neighbor, the police would likely ignore them. But random, consistent car traffic is usually a good indicator of drug activity.
Chances are, the police already know about it. They have a pretty good idea who is dealing drugs. But they, like the neighbors, can't do anything unless there is proof.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 PM

95 posts, read 171,397 times
The lady that lives behind us is in her 60s. I have never heard a woman cuss like her. Between the yelling she coughs up a lung. It is pretty gross. She gets on the phone and tells off her worthless kids, nieces, nephews, and who knows who else. She talks so loud you can hear every word crystal clear. My kids have a table set up under the patio for their legos, puzzles, etc. Whenever I hear them giggling outside, I know the crazy lady is on a rant. LOL She cusses out her dogs just about everyday, lol. I warn people when they come over and sit out on the back deck. Everyone that has heard it gets a good laugh. I really miss living out in the country so the only neighbors you saw were cows and horses. I don't know how long suburban living is going to work out for me, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships