Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:38 AM

11,829 posts, read 12,089,447 times

Advertisements

Are there not airport shuttle services that can take you to your parents' home? I've never heard of an airport having no means of transportation to and from the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 AM

530 posts, read 669,023 times
What is the problem here? You want to be "validated" because you are doing this wonderful thing by visiting them and you are miffed that they won't accommodate you by coming to pick you up even though you state that they have work the next day. Am I understanding the situation?
Either cancel your trip if you are angry about the situation or reschedule when you can arrive at a time that is better for everyone involved. Did you buy your tickets before all of your plans were in place? If so, why? and even more importantly, who is to blame for that?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,480,251 times
Well, I, for one, don't care anymore, bec we haven't heard back from "her".

We really know nothing....does she have a habit of not considering others?
Are the parents sick of it...when they know she could have gotten outta bed earlier
to take a better flight?

Her parents could finally be putting their foot down.

We don't know anything really...always 2 to 3 sides to every story.

I think it is rude she hasn't come back to ans our queries...but, she could
be in a coma since typing us. Who knows....best wishes if anything has happened to you, op.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,480,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Are there not airport shuttle services that can take
you to your parents' home?
I've never heard of an airport having no means of transportation
to and from the airport.
Well, I sure have, esp at night....and to, possibly, a rural area? You live in
a better place than I do.
Maybe in Las Vegas, NYC, LA there is round the clock transportation...but to 100+ miles away?

I love my creature comforts and a 2 hr+ total drive at night when I have to work
the next day would be a biggy if it was my hubby coming back from Irag!
(When I never wanted him to go there in the first place...now I have to pick him up?)
I'm kidding, to make a point.

If I had no choice in my travel plans and HAD to arrive this late, I would
have spent a bit extra to stay in a h/motel....shuttles would run the next day
and, maybe, even get me way closer to home for an easier pick up.

For decades, I arrange to never arrive during their rush hr traffic...ya gotta
think of the other person and their hassle. Just an aside....

Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,765,108 times
I'm 52 and my night vision has started to go. I had to drop my daughter off at a birthday party in the boonies last week while it was still light and thinking about how much I was dreading picking her up after dark because I knew it would be dangerous. I asked her to try and get a ride and she did. I would have picked her up if I'd had to, but I was relieved to not have to do so.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 AM

11,829 posts, read 12,089,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, I sure have, esp at night....and to, possibly, a rural area? You live in
a better place than I do.
Maybe in Las Vegas, NYC, LA there is round the clock transportation...but to 100+ miles away?
I see airport shuttles and vans on the highway all the time and I know that from the Toronto airport, you can have transportation that takes you to and from towns 150km (almost 100 miles) from the airport. This transportation is available around the clock, and I never guessed there would be airports that you'd have no way of getting to or from.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:06 AM

17 posts, read 26,260 times
Sorry for the delay.

My parents are both 51 years old, very healthy, don't even wear glasses, have an own and decent car and earn good money.
Of course I'm paying my own ticket and haven't asked them for money in many years.
I'm also a very considerate person always remember birthdays, buy gifts, call at least once a week, text with them on Facebook and haven't asked them for anything in years.
Both of them are familiar with the roads and the airport as they've gone there many times.
They live in Europe, the streets are good and the weather is good as well around this time. It's very safe as well.

I payed a lot for the flights to get there and visit them- Of course I can order a car service or stay in a hotel, but that means extra cost and I'm not rich. A car service to their house will cost me 150 US dollar (just checked it). I also asked my mom if it was different if I arrived at an earlier time and now she seemed to change her mind and says even then they woudn`t pick me up because it`s too expensive (Gas for that way will be around 40 Dollar, I even said I'll pay half of it. And as I said, my parents have good money, both work in well-paid full-time jobs, have an own house etc). Oh and I have no friend there who could pick me up.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:17 AM

And my parents have been asking me for months when I'll finally come to visit them. I told them in advance when I would come and they said it's a great time and they're happy that I will come. So it's no like I invited myself or so.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:24 AM

Oh and by the way, my parents visited me last year in the continent I live and arrived at 9pm. My boyfriend and I picked them up at the airport and also brought them back to the airport after their visit. For me that was absolutely normal nd I would have never considered to tell them to take a bus or a taxi or so.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,236,469 times
Let her know you are cancelling because you can't get from the airport to their house. After paying for the trip, you can't afford the $150 - and they evidently don't want to pay for the gas - or even half of the gas. Go on vacation somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships