Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatlily2 View Post
Sorry for the delay.

My parents are both 51 years old, very healthy, don't even wear glasses, have an own and decent car and earn good money.
Of course I'm paying my own ticket and haven't asked them for money in many years.
I'm also a very considerate person always remember birthdays, buy gifts, call at least once a week, text with them on Facebook and haven't asked them for anything in years.
Both of them are familiar with the roads and the airport as they've gone there many times.
They live in Europe, the streets are good and the weather is good as well around this time. It's very safe as well.

I payed a lot for the flights to get there and visit them- Of course I can order a car service or stay in a hotel, but that means extra cost and I'm not rich. A car service to their house will cost me 150 US dollar (just checked it). I also asked my mom if it was different if I arrived at an earlier time and now she seemed to change her mind and says even then they woudn`t pick me up because it`s too expensive (Gas for that way will be around 40 Dollar, I even said I'll pay half of it. And as I said, my parents have good money, both work in well-paid full-time jobs, have an own house etc). Oh and I have no friend there who could pick me up.
Having ruled out other possible explanations, I can only conclude that (1) they don't want to stay up late because they have to work the next day, or (2) your visit is not worth the extra money they would have to spend on gas or a car service or a hotel. My advice would be to tell them point-blank that you simply cannot afford the extra expenses on top of the plane ticket, and if they are unable to assist you in this (by either coming to pick you up or paying for an airport hotel or car service), then you're awfully sorry but you won't be able to come visit them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 01:05 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Having ruled out other possible explanations, I can only conclude that (1) they don't want to stay up late because they have to work the next day, or (2) your visit is not worth the extra money they would have to spend on gas or a car service or a hotel. My advice would be to tell them point-blank that you simply cannot afford the extra expenses on top of the plane ticket, and if they are unable to assist you in this (by either coming to pick you up or paying for an airport hotel or car service), then you're awfully sorry but you won't be able to come visit them.
I agree. They are sending a clear message they don't care if their child comes for a visit. That can hurt for even adult, but it happens.

OP - use your vacation time and money to go some place you want to go for a change. Either your parents won't care (which is one answer) or they might wake up and realize that even parent/adult child relationships take two sides to work.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:14 PM

486 posts, read 832,212 times
I don't think it reasonable to expect someone to drive for 3 hours in the middle of the night if they have to then work the next day. I've done this a few times before and I've gotten sick and in trouble at work since I can't function on a few hours sleep anymore.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:20 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,791 times
Yeah, with the update, I agree. Either they just don't feel like it because they have to work and/or they really don't care if you come or not. Not saying they don't care about you, they just may not care if you visit them at that time.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:51 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Man, sometimes I really hate these threads. They remind me of how quickly people jump on the "you're a spoiled brat" bandwagon. It makes me wonder how many people here regard their own kids as an inconvenience. It seems like some people just automatically assume the worst of any young person.

My father was always willing to pick me up at the airport. Back in the 80s, Pan Am and Eastern had discount tickets for students on the shuttle from DC to LaGuardia. He was only too happy to drive in hellacious traffic from out on the Island. It took at least 45 minutes each way, and parking was a PITA. He knew that even with the discount, $45 round-trip was a lot for me, and it was worth it to him to come and get me rather than have me deal with Amtrak, which was $62 at the time and would then require another leg on the LIRR. He would have driven to Kennedy if he had to, and anyone who lives in the NY area knows what an unholy nightmare that is. When I got older and had more money, I just flew into MacArthur, or enjoyed an Acela train and took a cab from the LIRR station. But when money was an issue, my parents were only too glad that I managed to get home at all.

So, I really don't understand how anyone would not pick their kid up after an international flight. Are you a family, or not? All for one, one for all, or not? I am with those who say that if it's too much hassle, save your money and only come home once a year, or go on vacation somewhere else.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Ah geez, all the parents had to say was "We don't feel comfortable driving at night anymore", and I would have totally backed them. Instead, the excuses they gave are admittedly lame.

OP, is it possible they have money issues you aren't aware of? If not, feel free to hit the beach, I have no other parental excuses available.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
We flew into Europe on a regular basis, train, shuttle service (about 100 mils 75 Euros). Our guests in Texas know - find a way to the house ($50 airport transfer or rental).

Old 04-03-2014, 03:26 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
Sounds like they are not interested in having you visit in the first place. Personally I would go somewhere else for vacation.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Now with this update...and thank you...they don't want to pick you
up no matter the time of day...with you paying $20 for gas even.
That must hurt.
I would get a doctor or chiropractor to write a note so I wouldn't be charged a cancel fee..
saying I had a back issue and couldn't take this trip...and not go.
But that's me...I needed a rubber room after each visit. This would have hurt my feelings,,
esp since money was how they showed love.

How do you feel about all this now? We have all said a lot.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
Wow you are coming to see them and they can't take a few days off from work?

I'd cancel the trip lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships