Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:48 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,179,922 times

Advertisements

I have a little sister in 5th grade. She's extremely bright, very athletic, and a friendly and outgoing kid who gets along with everyone well-she's incredibly well rounded. She has this general group of friends, but the problem is she doesn't do much with them. I want her to get involved in things with her friends (like play sports or do after school activities), but she's totally apathetic. Her primary excuse for everything is that she is concerned she won't be good at any of these activities, which I know isn't true (see second sentence). It seems like she is just too shy. I've tried convincing her that she's more than capable of doing any kind of activity, and I've tried to provide incentives for her to do stuff, but she's totally unwilling as of yet. So how can I convince her to try new activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 03:53 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,033,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I have a little sister in 5th grade. She's extremely bright, very athletic, and a friendly and outgoing kid who gets along with everyone well-she's incredibly well rounded. She has this general group of friends, but the problem is she doesn't do much with them. I want her to get involved in things with her friends (like play sports or do after school activities), but she's totally apathetic. Her primary excuse for everything is that she is concerned she won't be good at any of these activities, which I know isn't true (see second sentence). It seems like she is just too shy. I've tried convincing her that she's more than capable of doing any kind of activity, and I've tried to provide incentives for her to do stuff, but she's totally unwilling as of yet. So how can I convince her to try new activities?

Help her find something that really catches her interest and support her in that. Some people might bash you on here for trying to make her do anything out of her comfort zone but I think it's great what you're doing. I also think it's extremely important.

Eventually, she will find something that sparks her interest and more than likely really excel. Just keep doing what you're doing. Kudos for putting in the effort.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM

52,455 posts, read 53,011,596 times
Chloroform, a rope, and threats of violence usually work for me.....

Old 04-07-2014, 05:30 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,168,308 times
Hopefully she'll just grow out of this. Otherwise not much you can do. No one likes to be forced into anything. She's pretty young still, so maybe as she matures she'll get over this. Not understanding how she is outgoing yet shy? Like someone else said, kudos to you too - good older sibling

Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,834,926 times
She is lacking confidence. Start with small steps helping her build it. Can you do some activities with her? Maybe she needs someone she trusts with her to he her full self.

You aren't going to change her, support he for who she is. Help her be the best she can be.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 AM

11,836 posts, read 12,119,494 times
If she's afraid she won't be good, instead of just pushing her to try, be her mentor, not give her incentives. If it's important to you, you should be willing to get involved instead of just telling her what you think she should do. What does "really athletic" mean? Does she already know how to play certain sports or is she missing the tools and confidence? We aren't born knowing how to swing a baseball bat, or know how to direct a soccer ball with your foot to get it toward the goal.

Ultimately though, what you think she should like and what she actually does, may not be the same thing. You can want something for her but it's useless if she doesn't want it for herself.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:58 AM

3,673 posts, read 6,600,417 times
Leave her be, some people prefer the quiet. My thirteen year old is like this, has plenty of friends, very athletic and intellectually interesting but generally has a single friend he likes to spend time with, and even than only in limited doses.

Otherwise he's well adjusted, very engaged in dinner time conversation, excellent relationship with his older brother and a somewhat broad range of interests.

What's normal for some is not normal for all.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,305,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Leave her be, some people prefer the quiet. My thirteen year old is like this, has plenty of friends, very athletic and intellectually interesting but generally has a single friend he likes to spend time with, and even than only in limited doses.

Otherwise he's well adjusted, very engaged in dinner time conversation, excellent relationship with his older brother and a somewhat broad range of interests.

This

Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 AM

30,801 posts, read 16,426,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

my vote is for this one too.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 AM

8,230 posts, read 8,455,817 times
WIIFM ...... the key to persuading anyone to do anything is "What's in it for me??". if you can provide her an incentive or a reason that is meaningful to her, she will respond. So far, your efforts have not hit the target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships