Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:13 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,321,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
I expect everyone to be "friendly" as in decent and respectful.

I don't expect anyone to be "friendly" as in interacts with me like we're buddies beyond my actual friends. It's nice when they are, but I don't expect it.
bingo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 03:17 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,802,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Isn't that the whole point of your thread - that you're not getting that from the professionals you're dealing with and are complaining about it? Do YOU say, "Good Morning" to them and smile? You seem to expect an awful lot of others while offering precious little of yourself. Which is the norm for you, or so it appears. Your interactions with people in general seem to be continually fraught with dilemmas which leads to an inescapable conclusion.
I was making a joke!

Of course they are not expected to act all buddy buddy with me, I just wanted a simple smile or 15 seconds of small talk. I don't' want a robot.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:37 PM

670 posts, read 1,047,029 times
I've worked with a lot of doctors over the years and have gone to many doctors, dentists, hair stylists, etc. Usually, if you engage them in conversation, they return it. Some are warmer than others, but I've never had someone not engage in conversation when I asked them a polite question or commented on something. I can't say that all doctors are friendly, but they are at least polite and courteous.

I can say that my personal doctor, dentist, and hairstylist are friendly though, because I am a friendly person, and I like a warm interaction...after all, I am the one paying their wages.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:48 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,025,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I just got back from the Dentist and while he seems perfectly professional, he had absolutely no personality. Cold as ice. No smile, small talk or greeting of any kind.

My family physician is the same. ALL BUSINESS. Very professional but cold as ice.

Went to get my haircut and the barber did not exchange any small talk at all, just cut my hair.

I understand these guys are busy and have a job to do but shouldn't they at least engage me in 30 seconds of small talk?

What are you small talk, smile or greeting expectations of your Dentist, Doctor, Vet, or Barber (Hair Stylist)?
As long as they aren't disrespectful to me I don't care what they are like.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:55 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,857,664 times
It helps people loosen up if people are friendly, but me, I could do without most of the mindless chit-chat that goes on at the dentist, doctor's office, etc. I'm there to get what I need done and get out.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:06 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,188,798 times
It certainly is possible to be professional but still make small talk. I don't get why some seem to think that the two are mutually exclusive. To me, a true professional knows how to put clients/patients at ease. For a lot of people (myself included) making small talk is a good way for people to feel at ease. I also think that many doctors/barbers/dentists are able to read people fairly well, and if they sense that someone doesn't care for small talk won't press the issue.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:17 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,337,600 times
I don't want a lot of small talk with medical professionals, but I usually get it from hair stylists and or service industry types. It's part of the job.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,858,609 times
I expect them to be competent. That is all.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 PM

250 posts, read 384,348 times
Does that 15 sec of "small talk" really matter? Will you remember it later in the day. To be honest I could careless about what is going on with them.. I want to get in and get out.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:40 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,802,358 times
I am just shocked at the number of replies from posters who want Doctors and Dentists to be robots with no warmth or caring to interact with them. Just shocked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships