Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 04:34 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,703,406 times

Advertisements

Forgiving is likely not a valid concept for one's life. I have found that it is a total waste of my time to hate those in my past that have abused me. I focus on the problems of the day and on the close future. I also try to avoid the presence of those that have wronged me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 05:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,288,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Forgiving is likely not a valid concept for one's life. I have found that it is a total waste of my time to hate those in my past that have abused me. I focus on the problems of the day and on the close future. I also try to avoid the presence of those that have wronged me.
Yes.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:00 AM

79 posts, read 119,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
If anyone wants to give me a clear understanding of what they mean by forgiveness that does not involve religion, Jesus, Christ, Moses, etc then please enlighten men.
This is copied and pasted from Greater Good: The Science of a Meaningful Life

"What Is Forgiveness? Psychologists generally define forgiveness as a conscious, deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or group who has harmed you, regardless of whether they actually deserve your forgiveness.
Just as important as defining what forgiveness is, though, is understanding what forgiveness is not. Experts who study or teach forgiveness make clear that when you forgive, you do not gloss over or deny the seriousness of an offense against you. Forgiveness does not mean forgetting, nor does it mean condoning or excusing offenses. Though forgiveness can help repair a damaged relationship, it doesn’t obligate you to reconcile with the person who harmed you, or release them from legal accountability.
Instead, forgiveness brings the forgiver peace of mind and frees him or her from corrosive anger. While there is some debate over whether true forgiveness requires positive feelings toward the offender, experts agree that it at least involves letting go of deeply held negative feelings. In that way, it empowers you to recognize the pain you suffered without letting that pain define you, enabling you to heal and move on with your life."

I think that's about the clearest, most concise definition I've seen. And, per your request, there is no mention of God anywhere in there.

To me the most important concept is the freedom the victim gets from forgiving their offender. To no longer have to hang on to that anger, that rage, that negativity, is incredible. It's saying, "I'm not giving you any more power over me. I'm letting go of the resentment and anger, and I'm letting go of the part of my mind that you occupy, and I'm moving on."

I hope this helps you understand a little better what is meant by forgiveness.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:40 AM

28,984 posts, read 30,387,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkChickenLover View Post
This is copied and pasted from Greater Good: The Science of a Meaningful Life

"What Is Forgiveness?
Psychologists generally define forgiveness as a conscious, deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment or vengeance toward a person or group who has harmed you, regardless of whether they actually deserve your forgiveness.

Just as important as defining what forgiveness is, though, is understanding what forgiveness is not. Experts who study or teach forgiveness make clear that when you forgive, you do not gloss over or deny the seriousness of an offense against you. Forgiveness does not mean forgetting, nor does it mean condoning or excusing offenses. Though forgiveness can help repair a damaged relationship, it doesn’t obligate you to reconcile with the person who harmed you, or release them from legal accountability.

Instead, forgiveness brings the forgiver peace of mind and frees him or her from corrosive anger. While there is some debate over whether true forgiveness requires positive feelings toward the offender, experts agree that it at least involves letting go of deeply held negative feelings. In that way, it empowers you to recognize the pain you suffered without letting that pain define you, enabling you to heal and move on with your life."

I think that's about the clearest, most concise definition I've seen. And, per your request, there is no mention of God anywhere in there.

To me the most important concept is the freedom the victim gets from forgiving their offender. To no longer have to hang on to that anger, that rage, that negativity, is incredible. It's saying, "I'm not giving you any more power over me. I'm letting go of the resentment and anger, and I'm letting go of the part of my mind that you occupy, and I'm moving on."

I hope this helps you understand a little better what is meant by forgiveness.
this was awesome, thank you Ozarkchickenlover....and wanted to add to this
Forgiveness is a sort of cleansing of the soul....when one doesn't forgive, there are all kinds of negative emotions, such as anger, hostility, hate, etc....which is upsetting to the body's whole system, and not healthy mentally or physically, opening the body to disease....as stress is never eliminated. So, yes, indeed, forgiving doesn't mean you have to forget...but it does bring peace to the mind and soul, which it has done for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships