Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:43 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
What is the difference between having a phone conversation with someone on the phone vs. a conversation with someone else in public (example if lady in waiting room was with her girlfriend chit chatting in waiting room together).

I know when there are two people in public talking then there are two voices instead of one.

I mean that's how I look at it when I am on the phone in public. It's quieter than two voices.

What do you think?
You bring up a good point, but the difference is this person on the phone has the option to WALK AWAY and not subject others to the noise. It's not only annoying but rude and inconsiderate.

Seriously, I don't know how people are so carefree that they can let just anybody hear everything they have to say. I couldn't even do that in a cubicle in my former office. On the flip-side, why do you think others want to hear it? If they don't want to hear it, they can leave instead of the person on the phone causing the noise? That's why it's inconsiderate.

I have a theory - these people doing it are nosy people themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Part of me says that people do this on purpose. I really think some people like to advertise their conversations. Especially around airports, it seems. Some salesman is always calling the home office coincidentally as we sit down on the plane. I'm trying to have a cocktail and unwind before takeoff, and the ubiquitous road warrior salesman--the first class equivalent to the ever present crying baby in coach--has to call the home office at that moment, as if the home office wasn't yet aware that they JUST CLOSED THAT MILLION DOLLAR DEAL. AND DID I MENTION IT IS A MILLION DOLLAR DEAL? THAT'S SEVEN FIGURES, BABY! A MILLION!!!

I've always noticed this in airports, so in a way, I kind of entertain myself with it while I'm there.

A few months ago I had a connecting flight at CLT, on a gray, rainy day. I hate connecting flights. I'm not a fan of CLT. To be honest, I'm not a fan of North Carolina. I mention this simply to paint the backdrop for my deteriorating mood. Normally, I would go to the US Airways club and put on my headphones for an hour, but I didn't have too much time, so I went to an area kind of between 2 gates, and sat down. I was seated behind and facing away from an older, nice looking couple who were dressed as if they were going to a yacht club theme party. The man even had one of those dopey captain's hats that people buy out of the West Marine catalog.

The woman, I think her name was Gwen, was making phone calls, and she made a lot of them. "Hi, it's Gwen. I just wanted to check to see if you got the message I left last week before Larry and I get on the plane to PALM BEACH."

This went on for what seemed like 100 calls. Checking if someone got flowers. Did they get her check. Could you drive by our house on Friday and see if the lawn service came by. I haven't talked to you in a while and just was thinking about you while sitting at the gate waiting to go to PALM BEACH. Every time it was some minor reason for calling, then a crafty segue into "Larry and I get on the plane to PALM BEACH."

This went on, and on. Each time I paid closer attention to the reasons she gave for calling, as they became more and more desperate. "Could you tell Pastor Davis that we're not going to make it to service on Sunday as we're going to be in PALM BEACH?" And every goddamned time she mentioned PALM BEACH, her voice jumped two octaves when it hit the "E" in "beach".

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the man seated a couple of seats away shaking his head as these calls went on and on. Palm Beach! PALM BEEEEACH! PALM BEEEEACH! My mind started wandering off, envisioning all the people at the gate stomping their feet and shouting "Shut up" in unison, every time the woman shrieked "PALM BEACH" into the phone, like a football stadium chant being led by drunk fans.

"Palm Beach!"
"Shut up!" Clump-clump.
"Palm Beach!"
"Shut up!" Clump-clump.
"Palm Beach!"
"Shut up! Shut up!" Clump-clump-clump-clump-clump-clump-clump-CLUMP-CLUMP!.

I was thinking to myself, I have got to get out of here, or I'm going to end up saying something to this person.

At that moment, the lastest phone conversation took a more businesslike tone. Apparently, the first mate and her captain were meeting another couple down in Palm Beach, and Gwen had called the other couple to tell them the entrance code to the condominium. They had a conversation for a few minutes, discussing how they were flying from different airports and landing at almost the same time, then going to the condo together if possible.

"Now, If anything happens and we get delayed, you and Phil just go to the condo in Palm Beach. The entrance code to the condo in Palm Beach is EIGHT TWO FIVE SIX THREE. Oh, I hope nobody heard that!"

Without turning around to look at them, I said loudly into my computer screen, "It's 82563!" The man sitting next to me laughed.

"Well SOME PERSON is eavesdropping on this conversation," the first mate spat into her phone.

"Definitely not eavesdropping," I said flatly.

She mumbled something under her breath, then grabbed the captain by the sleeve of his navy blazer, and dragged him off to create a nuisance elsewhere, which was fine with me.

The man next to me said, "If you didn't say it, I was going to. Where were they going again? Orlando?" We joked about it for a minute, then it was time to board.

So yeah, not a fan of peoples LOUD conversations, but they can be entertaining.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Let's examine the logic of this. If the person in question was having an identical conversation with someone sitting next to her, then it's okay, right? I mean, you're still a captive audience.

To me, it's not a big deal as long as the conversation isn't obnoxious and loud or if the person isn't holding up the line at the grocery store. If one is affronted because another person chooses to have a normal conversation on the phone in his presence, then that person really doesn't have enough to worry about in life.
I mentioned the caller being loud... if they are talking in a normal telephone voice it isn't nearly as bothersome. Oddly enough, it's my experience that people usually don't talk in a normal voice. Their voice is loud. Let's also examine that it doesn't bother me in the least is you don't mind listening to what is being discussed. It is fine with me if you disagree with me. I see no need to list all that might or could apply to what I posted. There are often exceptions to anything I might say.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:11 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I agree that people talking loudly on their cell phones can be annoying. I use my cell phone only for emergencies. Some people seem to want to "stay connected" every minute of the day. As long as they are speaking quietly, that is their business, but when they seem to try to be the center of attention...like sales people in the waiting areas at the airport, that can get annoying. I think people should respect that other people have things they want to hear too.

My pharmacist has a sign in his pharmacy. It says: "No cell phone calls. Rudeness is not appreciated."
That's the pharmacy where I would trade if I lived where you live.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:27 PM

10,099 posts, read 7,771,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Part of me says that people do this on purpose. I really think some people like to advertise their conversations. Especially around airports, it seems. Some salesman is always calling the home office coincidentally as we sit down on the plane. I'm trying to have a cocktail and unwind before takeoff, and the ubiquitous road warrior salesman--the first class equivalent to the ever present crying baby in coach--has to call the home office at that moment, as if the home office wasn't yet aware that they JUST CLOSED THAT MILLION DOLLAR DEAL. AND DID I MENTION IT IS A MILLION DOLLAR DEAL? THAT'S SEVEN FIGURES, BABY! A MILLION!!!

I've always noticed this in airports, so in a way, I kind of entertain myself with it while I'm there.

A few months ago I had a connecting flight at CLT, on a gray, rainy day. I hate connecting flights. I'm not a fan of CLT. To be honest, I'm not a fan of North Carolina. I mention this simply to paint the backdrop for my deteriorating mood. Normally, I would go to the US Airways club and put on my headphones for an hour, but I didn't have too much time, so I went to an area kind of between 2 gates, and sat down. I was seated behind and facing away from an older, nice looking couple who were dressed as if they were going to a yacht club theme party. The man even had one of those dopey captain's hats that people buy out of the West Marine catalog.

The woman, I think her name was Gwen, was making phone calls, and she made a lot of them. "Hi, it's Gwen. I just wanted to check to see if you got the message I left last week before Larry and I get on the plane to PALM BEACH."

This went on for what seemed like 100 calls. Checking if someone got flowers. Did they get her check. Could you drive by our house on Friday and see if the lawn service came by. I haven't talked to you in a while and just was thinking about you while sitting at the gate waiting to go to PALM BEACH. Every time it was some minor reason for calling, then a crafty segue into "Larry and I get on the plane to PALM BEACH."

This went on, and on. Each time I paid closer attention to the reasons she gave for calling, as they became more and more desperate. "Could you tell Pastor Davis that we're not going to make it to service on Sunday as we're going to be in PALM BEACH?" And every goddamned time she mentioned PALM BEACH, her voice jumped two octaves when it hit the "E" in "beach".

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the man seated a couple of seats away shaking his head as these calls went on and on. Palm Beach! PALM BEEEEACH! PALM BEEEEACH! My mind started wandering off, envisioning all the people at the gate stomping their feet and shouting "Shut up" in unison, every time the woman shrieked "PALM BEACH" into the phone, like a football stadium chant being led by drunk fans.

"Palm Beach!"
"Shut up!" Clump-clump.
"Palm Beach!"
"Shut up!" Clump-clump.
"Palm Beach!"
"Shut up! Shut up!" Clump-clump-clump-clump-clump-clump-clump-CLUMP-CLUMP!.

I was thinking to myself, I have got to get out of here, or I'm going to end up saying something to this person.

At that moment, the lastest phone conversation took a more businesslike tone. Apparently, the first mate and her captain were meeting another couple down in Palm Beach, and Gwen had called the other couple to tell them the entrance code to the condominium. They had a conversation for a few minutes, discussing how they were flying from different airports and landing at almost the same time, then going to the condo together if possible.

"Now, If anything happens and we get delayed, you and Phil just go to the condo in Palm Beach. The entrance code to the condo in Palm Beach is EIGHT TWO FIVE SIX THREE. Oh, I hope nobody heard that!"

Without turning around to look at them, I said loudly into my computer screen, "It's 82563!" The man sitting next to me laughed.

"Well SOME PERSON is eavesdropping on this conversation," the first mate spat into her phone.

"Definitely not eavesdropping," I said flatly.

She mumbled something under her breath, then grabbed the captain by the sleeve of his navy blazer, and dragged him off to create a nuisance elsewhere, which was fine with me.

The man next to me said, "If you didn't say it, I was going to. Where were they going again? Orlando?" We joked about it for a minute, then it was time to board.

So yeah, not a fan of peoples LOUD conversations, but they can be entertaining.
lol That's hilarious. I kept picturing Mr. and Mrs. Howell from Gilligans Island.

Personally I don't even like to talk on my cell phone in front of others unless it's a quick conversation. If I know it's going to be a longer conversation, I'll go where I can have the privacy. I don't like to hear others conversation but that seems to be where the world is these days. I don't like it but I don't see it changing. I like the good old days when cell phones were more for emergencies. Nowadays if people aren't talking on them, they are texting on them or looking down at them. I love it when people texting don't look where they are going when they walk and then stumble. I get the best kick out of that.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 05-30-2014 at 07:40 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Meh it ca sometimes be rather entertaining on a bus ride home. If you really want to let them know they are a bit loud... join in the conversation. Just start nodding or shaking your head and making comments as if you were a part of it.
lol. Must try that!

Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 PM

336 posts, read 589,982 times
It is very rude to be that loud in public, but a lot of people these days just don't care because it's their attitude towards a lot of things.

Whenever I had a loud neighbor, I just called the leasing office to complain instead of trying to talk to the neighbor myself. Sometimes talking to them yourself leads to even more problems and possibly some drama. If you get security in the building involved, the person being so loud will probably listen to them more than they will listen to you.

I know it's tempting to try to say something to the person being so loud, but some people just love to take advantage of this opportunity and just use you as a target to be very nasty. It can be like feeding a very bad troll and having that person focus attention on you and use you as a target for harassment just because you gave them attention. If you don't talk to this loud person in the first place, they won't have a reason to single you out and start bugging you even more.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Let's examine the logic of this. If the person in question was having an identical conversation with someone sitting next to her, then it's okay, right? I mean, you're still a captive audience.

To me, it's not a big deal as long as the conversation isn't obnoxious and loud or if the person isn't holding up the line at the grocery store. If one is affronted because another person chooses to have a normal conversation on the phone in his presence, then that person really doesn't have enough to worry about in life.

But, in fact, the conversation usually is loud. People do not speak on a cell phone in the same tone of voice they use to address a human who is physically close to them. They speak much louder. Also, people on phones seem to think those nearby don't know what they're talking about because they're only hearing one side of a conversation. In truth, it usually take very little to figure it out, even if one isn't trying to. I've heard some very embarrassing conversations when I was sitting minding my own business in waiting rooms. Even if I have a book, it's hard to concentrate when someone is very close to you yelling about their divorce, their badly behaved children, or their medical problems. If possible, I get up and move. But why should I ... I was there first.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Rude. Not even acceptable in some cultures. We were in the rain - well on a porch out of the rain at a local park last weekend. We had our son on speaker phone as he told us about his new job. We were very excited. I felt bad for doing what I can't stand other people doing but we couldn't go out in the rain and talk. And we were out on the porch. It occurred to me the other people were listening. And we talk rather loud.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:51 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,795 times
It's especially annoying when somebody uses the aisles of a grocery store as their own personal phone booth, having planted themselves in front of the item that you need to get off the shelf. Then you say "excuse me" and they ignore you. So you say "excuse me" a second time, louder. Then they turn on you, all surly and indignant because you dared to interfere with their oh so important conversation, i.e.: "should I buy Twinkies or RingDings?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships