Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 04:16 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

I was at the car dealership today and was waiting for my car to be fixed. The waiting room was fairly large, and there were about 10 people scattered throughout. Some were softly talking on their phones, others watching the tv, and I was trying to read.

A woman sat near me and began phone conversations that lasted the entire 2.5 hours I was there. She was practically yelling into her phone, and it annoyed the hell out of me. It was bad enough trying to block out the noise from the tv, but I heard way more than I wanted to from this woman. I shot her a few disapproving looks, and she toned it down for a minute or two then resumed her loud speaking voice.

If I have to take a phone call in public, I try to keep it as short and sweet as possible, and try to keep my voice down where everyone near me doesn't know my business. I hate when people carry on a conversation in public with no thought to how it may affect others. A pet peeve of mine is when the conversation is in another language, conducted at full volume, but a loud conversation in any language is annoying, and IMO rude as hell. It happens a lot, though. Is this considered socially ok??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:22 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,926 times
What is the difference between having a phone conversation with someone on the phone vs. a conversation with someone else in public (example if lady in waiting room was with her girlfriend chit chatting in waiting room together).

I know when there are two people in public talking then there are two voices instead of one.

I mean that's how I look at it when I am on the phone in public. It's quieter than two voices.

What do you think?

Old 05-30-2014, 04:31 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I dislike being a captive audience and being forced to listen to someone talking on their phone is extremely annoying. I think it is very inconsiderate of the person on the phone, especially if they are loud and the call is long. Yes, I could go somewhere else, but I am sitting where I am for a reason and leaving would be very inconvenient.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I dislike being a captive audience and being forced to listen to someone talking on their phone is extremely annoying. I think it is very inconsiderate of the person on the phone, especially if they are loud and the call is long. Yes, I could go somewhere else, but I am sitting where I am for a reason and leaving would be very inconvenient.
Let's examine the logic of this. If the person in question was having an identical conversation with someone sitting next to her, then it's okay, right? I mean, you're still a captive audience.

To me, it's not a big deal as long as the conversation isn't obnoxious and loud or if the person isn't holding up the line at the grocery store. If one is affronted because another person chooses to have a normal conversation on the phone in his presence, then that person really doesn't have enough to worry about in life.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
People talk to each other. Is it somehow offensive if you can't hear the other end of the conversation?

If they're unnaturally loud, I could see where it could get annoying; most of the time that doesn't happen. I'm sure my conversations with my 83-year-old father, who is hard of hearing, can get annoying to some people, but given that they would be doubly annoying if he was in the room (as he talks VERY loudly), I don't feel too bad.

Generally I don't see myself having any right to expect others to be silent short of a hospital or doctor's office, a funeral home or a library. Or the quiet car on the train - I laid the pimp hand down once on a bunch of tourists on NJ Transit in that context, but they weren't on cell phones and that was literally the designated "quiet car" - they had 30 other cars where they could have chatted away at top volume. All around me commuters were becoming clearly distressed by the noise, so I told them to shut up. It WAS a "self-policing" policy according to the conductor.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:05 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Let's examine the logic of this. If the person in question was having an identical conversation with someone sitting next to her, then it's okay, right? I mean, you're still a captive audience.

To me, it's not a big deal as long as the conversation isn't obnoxious and loud or if the person isn't holding up the line at the grocery store. If one is affronted because another person chooses to have a normal conversation on the phone in his presence, then that person really doesn't have enough to worry about in life.
I don't like loud conversations between two people in a small confined space, either, so it isn't just cell phone usage. Keep it low. How difficult is that? To me it is just common courtesy. No one is suggesting everyone has to be silent, but loud conversations, on the phone or in person is obnoxious. No one is interested in your conversation, and forcing others to listen to it against their will is just tacky and rude.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:14 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Exceptionally annoying. If you want to babble on your phone, take it outside.

I have a small retail shop. When people pull out their phones in my shop, they'd better be calling someone for advice on what to buy. If their phone rings and they answer and talk about nothing, I politely but firmly tell them my store is not a phone booth and to kindly take it elsewhere. It's that or slap their faces off their heads.

I can't stand it!

Texting is equally annoying.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:35 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Meh it ca sometimes be rather entertaining on a bus ride home. If you really want to let them know they are a bit loud... join in the conversation. Just start nodding or shaking your head and making comments as if you were a part of it.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:39 PM

670 posts, read 1,044,283 times
I agree that people talking loudly on their cell phones can be annoying. I use my cell phone only for emergencies. Some people seem to want to "stay connected" every minute of the day. As long as they are speaking quietly, that is their business, but when they seem to try to be the center of attention...like sales people in the waiting areas at the airport, that can get annoying. I think people should respect that other people have things they want to hear too.

My pharmacist has a sign in his pharmacy. It says: "No cell phone calls. Rudeness is not appreciated."

Old 05-30-2014, 05:41 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I'm hearing impaired - severely. So anything I need to know, the other person has to be louder than surrounding noise/conversations. If you're on your cell phone and I'm trying to place an order, it means I can't hear/understand.

On top of everything, I am a friendly person so if I hear what sounds like talk, I assume you are being friendly and I will talk to you. Try having a cell phone conversation when I'm responding!!

I also agree with the person above who doesn't want to be dragged into another's drama. Fight with your partner, child, parent somewhere else, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships