Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 AM

16 posts, read 61,571 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I'm back with another dilemma.

My best friend of 4 years is pregnant. She's pregnant by a guy I've never met. I haven't seen my friend physically in 2 years. So, me not ever meeting her boyfriend isn't the problem. The problem is I know she really doesn't want this baby and her boyfriend is a piece of ****. I was talking on the phone with her and she was telling me she knows she's gonna have a ****ty life now. I feel so bad for her.
I already know when she has this baby her boyfriend is gonna bail. I feel like there is something I should do, me being her closest friend and wanting the best for her. What should I do? Nothing?
This girl is like a sister to me and I don't want her to go through the pains of seeing her struggle as a single mother. Plus I believe she thinks that if she has the baby that will make her boyfriend want to stay around, which most mature people know isn't true.

Please help and tell me should I do or what shouldn't I do?
The sad part is her mother is totally cool about her having this baby while knowing what kind of guy my friends boyfriend is. It's sad the single most important person who is suppose to be looking out for her is allowing her to make such a big mistake. Also, if my friend has this baby, she doesn't have the means to take care of it... So...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,323,130 times
You can't do anything but be supporting and tell her you'll be there for her whenever she needs anything.

She made the choice to have sex with him, she has to deal with the consequences.

Don't judge or tell her about the decisions she should be making. Hopefully this will be a learning experience and a way for you to be a supportive friend.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,154,262 times
You never met him but you know he is a POS. Got it.

Her life. Mind your own business.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,729,582 times
There is nothing you can do. It's not like you can tell her to get an abortion.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,229,223 times
I'm not sure what you think you might say? She is ALREADY pregnant. Are you suggesting that you would tell her to get an abortion? Well, here's some advice, it is an option that she already knows is available. If she wanted an abortion, she would have already done it. You telling her to do it (so she doesn't have the struggles of being a single mother) will make your relationship strained, as now she will always remember you as the person who thought she should kill her baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
You can't do anything but be supporting and tell her you'll be there for her whenever she needs anything.

She made the choice to have sex with him, she has to deal with the consequences.

Don't judge or tell her about the decisions she should be making. Hopefully this will be a learning experience and a way for you to be a supportive friend.
The best and only advice you need.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You never met him but you know he is a POS. Got it.

Her life. Mind your own business.
Well, based on the times that I've spoken on the phone with him, and based on the amount of times she's called me crying because of the things he's either said or done to her.. My guess is he is...
Mind my own business? For a friend that is like a sister to me. Please, get out.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:38 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,350,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle23 View Post
Also, if my friend has this baby, she doesn't have the means to take care of it... So...
......so, she can give the baby up for adoption. Or her mom can step in and help since she's in favor of her having the baby. Or she can take advantage of some of the dozens of programs available to help low-income single mothers. Or maybe - just maybe - the father isn't quite the piece of poo you ass/u/me he is and he'll man up and do the right thing.

Findly's advice is the best you'll get. You're in no position whatsoever to tell her what she should do, or really even make suggestions. Just let her know that you're there for her when she needs you.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm not sure what you think you might say? She is ALREADY pregnant. Are you suggesting that you would tell her to get an abortion? Well, here's some advice, it is an option that she already knows is available. If she wanted an abortion, she would have already done it. You telling her to do it (so she doesn't have the struggles of being a single mother) will make your relationship strained, as now she will always remember you as the person who thought she should kill her baby.

The best and only advice you need.
I never told her to get an abortion? What would make you say that?
She's told me multiple times she didn't want the baby... I was looking for advice for which I could tell her...

Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,454,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle23 View Post
Well, based on the times that I've spoken on the phone with him, and based on the amount of times she's called me crying because of the things he's either said or done to her.. My guess is he is...
Mind my own business? For a friend that is like a sister to me. Please, get out.

I find it very odd that you have not seen your best friend who is like a sister to you in 2 years.

Stay out of her life and do not suggest anything, her choice to have this guy as a boyfriend, her choice to get pregnant, her choice to keep the baby or not.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,459,068 times
You can be a friend. A lot of people have those feelings in the beginning of a pregnancy, but tend to not know what their life would ever be like had they not had the baby.

They also tend to (hopefully) grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships