Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:18 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,063,632 times

Advertisements

Posting on fb asking to send gifts is tacky. I don't think asking people to send a card is tacky.

If the mother is 90, there is a chance she is lonely, depressed...maybe she loves cards and would get great joy out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 05:15 PM

5,512 posts, read 4,488,708 times
I've had someone I known use FB to post a shout out to others to send wishes that the person's lost cat would return (was discovered missing a few days prior).

Obviously, the cat's not going to use his phone, or log onto FB somewhere and see that his owner and friends who met him misses him, be touched, and return due to that, but in these cases, it seems it's the thought that counts.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:18 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,340,106 times
No. Being kind to a elderly person- who will probably die soon-- IS NOT tacky!

You didn't know? Facebook "Tacky" is now defined as this: selfie.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:23 PM

14 posts, read 15,842 times
Default Ulterior Motive

Yes, very tacky. Posting her birthday on FB is fine. This person probably figures that along with those cards, monetary gifts will also be sent. It is kind of like a scam. That 90 year old woman will not be doing any shopping, but the woman would.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,391,268 times
Its just you.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:46 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,065,895 times
I don't think it's tacky, but it is a bit odd to send a birthday card & gift to person who you don't personally know.

What IS tacky, is setting up a "crowdfunding" page, begging Internet strangers to send you money for dubious personal, selfish goals.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:02 AM

555 posts, read 806,335 times
Default when a gift is not a gift...and when it doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I looked at my Facebook page the other day, which I rarely do, and saw where a friend is asking her FB buddies to please send birthday cards to her mother for her 90th birthday.

She even posts her mailing address!

I don't know. It almost feels tacky in a sense. I'm not sure how to characterize it, but it didn't seem appropriate.

What do you think? Should people request cards and gifts?
OP, it's clear you don't approve of your FB friend's request. Do you feel similarly about bridal and baby registries? If you think registries (which are essentially a list of gifts people are requesting guests buy them) are OK, then perhaps it would make sense to be OK with a simple birthday card request.

Also, if the recipient was dying, would you feel it was less of a tacky request? Just curious.

On a related note, I happen to dislike wedding registries and baby registries, as they, too, are essentially people requesting gifts -- and specific ones at that. I really don't like it when gift registry cards are included in an invitation, as that's basically saying, you're invited but we expect you to bring a gift, specifically from this list of gifts we've chosen for ourselves. But I'm rather traditional about that. I still buy a pre-approved gift from their list even though I feel this way.

I also don't like it when people's relatives hold baby and bridal showers for them, as it looks like the family is requesting people shower their family member with gifts. Again, I'm pretty traditional in that I feel baby and bridal showers, if they must be given, should be given by friends, not family. I do buy from their pre-approved list even if I don't prefer to.

Card requests would fall under a similar category. I don't feel you should ever ask for a gift, because then it's not a gift. Of course, I wouldn't say anything to the person making the request, since to criticize would be tackier than the request itself.

But really, if the woman is 90 years old and I thought it would make her day to receive all those birthday cards, I could overlook any perceptions of tackiness. I mean, it's just a card -- easy enough for me to send and brighten someone's day. You know what they say: Sometimes, it's better to be kind than to be right.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 962 times
Default That's a bit forward to me

I would never ask anyone for a gift for my loved ones or myself. i think sometimes people just forget to THINK!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I looked at my Facebook page the other day, which I rarely do, and saw where a friend is asking her FB buddies to please send birthday cards to her mother for her 90th birthday.

She even posts her mailing address!

I don't know. It almost feels tacky in a sense. I'm not sure how to characterize it, but it didn't seem appropriate.

What do you think? Should people request cards and gifts?
She's not doing it for herself. She's doing it for her mother. She's not asking you to send a gift. She's asking you to send her elderly mother nice thoughts. Try being charitable here. Do you lie awake at night ginning up things about which to be annoyed?

Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,578,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Its just you.
Best response yet!

And yeah, I figured this out, so I am done rambling on this thread, but it will probably drone on into infinity and beyond!

Bye bye!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships