Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:37 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,943 times

Advertisements

Not unless I'm in a relationship. And that will usually entail dinner and some drinks.

All of my family live on the east coast or in the Caribbean. I'll get a call from my mother and that's good enough for me.

I'm currently single and if my status doesn't change by the time my b-day rolls around (~60 days) I'll probably take some friends out to a pub. The reason being that I have a trip planned for Europe the first week in December and I will be away until mid-March. I'm going to miss them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:45 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
It's just another day for me. But my children bring food in, birthday cake, cards and gifts. I appreciate it, but I just wish they would save their money. I just uhhh and ahhh, hug and kiss over the gifts and food and thank them. Times are hard for young people trying to keep a roof over their heads, food on the table and kids in school.

Of course when my parents were alive I did the same thing for them on their birthdays. LOL

Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,007 times
It's also just another day for me. When I was in a relationship I would be asked what I wanted to do. I'd usually be ok with a dinner out, or a gift card to Whole Foods LOL. It was always baffling to the other party, as she wondered why I didn't want to celebrate it ALLLLLLLLLLL month, as she does

we were polar opposites, and I used to dread the month of May (the month she was born). Thank goodness that's over, as we both now get the opportunity to upgrade to someone more compatible

Old 09-04-2014, 03:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
We don't do anything elaborate, but usually go out to dinner, or my husband cooks. My daughter usually bakes something for me. I think it's important to acknowledge one another in a special way at least once a year.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWarrior View Post
I appreciate her gesture, I just don't think it makes much sense celebrating something when the person himself doesn't celebrate it.
Really? It doesn't make "sense" to allow your mother to make you a cake if it makes her happy?

Are you one of our black-and-white thinkers by chance? Or do you just consider the world as your mirror, thinking only of how things affect you?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM

541 posts, read 1,145,584 times
Yes! Celebrate! Auspicious day, my bday & the day the Wright Bros 1st flew

DH is the oldest of 5, he got to choose what dinner his mom cooked for him on his Bday and a present. He makes no big deal about his Bday.

I was only child and had party at school, party at home, whole month of parties!

When we first got married, I would get upset that he didn't make a big deal about his, mine or really any Bday's. Now, I just plan whatever I want and he goes along with whatever.

I think the whole "birth order" thing really comes into play when it comes to Bday's and expectations of the day. I had an ex that was an only child and he really liked to surprise me with gifts and whatnot. He wanted me to do the same for him. An only childs' perspective vs one of many children.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:28 PM

324 posts, read 294,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Really? It doesn't make "sense" to allow your mother to make you a cake if it makes her happy?

Are you one of our black-and-white thinkers by chance? Or do you just consider the world as your mirror, thinking only of how things affect you?
I don't say anything to her anymore, she always bakes the cake anyway. But I'm very adamant that I won't invite anyone or go out to dinner.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,229 times
Yes! I always say,"It's my birthday month!" I like going out of town to celebrate. Next year will be the big 50! Wow! How time flies!

Old 09-04-2014, 03:38 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
I celebrate but keep it low key. This year, I went to an exclusive concert featuring Ludacris with a friend who got a hookup. Last year, I had a lunch with a few friends.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:21 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWarrior View Post
I don't say anything to her anymore, she always bakes the cake anyway. But I'm very adamant that I won't invite anyone or go out to dinner.
I hope you say thank you at least!

You seem like a really fun person to be around. I'll bet people are clamoring for your company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships