Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:35 AM

351 posts, read 588,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
My birthday is my favorite holiday. I have a number of friends whose birthdays are close, and when we can, we celebrate the month of our astrological sign.
Same here. I have several friends whose birthdays are within one to two days of mine (we're all Scorpios), so we usually celebrate it together. I also have some close friends who always take me out to dinner for my birthday in addition to giving me a card and/or a gift, as well as my parents who always give me a card with a generous monetary gift and then usually take me out to a fine dining restaurant serving american/continental cuisine.

Once when I was feeling down in the "dumps" because I was turning 40, my parents threw me a 7 course chinese banquet at an upscale restaurant and told me to invite up to 6 friends. I really appreciate the fact that there are people who care enough to do those things for me, and whenever I'm feeling less than "chipper" I try to reflect on those times.

Last edited by Honolulu21; 09-05-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 05:47 PM

5,819 posts, read 3,245,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWarrior View Post
I never celebrate my birthday, it's just a reminder of being born, the worst that has happened to me. My mother, my brother and friends also never fail to bother me about it but I usually stay at home on that day.
Yes, and my family had better not forget it.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:53 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,596,173 times
I used to be dead set against celebrating my birthday for years. But recently I came to the conclusion that I was being selfish. While I don't like being the center of attention and having people make a big deal of me, some people really like to celebrate birthdays of people they care about. By not allowing people to express their love in this way I am denying them some happiness and an opportunity to do something that makes them feel good about themselves. So now, while I don't make a big deal of it I do accept graciously ad with gratitude other people's gestures of good will. After all it does feel good to know that you are loved. If some people need a special day in which to express that then i guess that is okay.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:16 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,809,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I used to be dead set against celebrating my birthday for years. But recently I came to the conclusion that I was being selfish. While I don't like being the center of attention and having people make a big deal of me, some people really like to celebrate birthdays of people they care about. By not allowing people to express their love in this way I am denying them some happiness and an opportunity to do something that makes them feel good about themselves. So now, while I don't make a big deal of it I do accept graciously ad with gratitude other people's gestures of good will. After all it does feel good to know that you are loved. If some people need a special day in which to express that then i guess that is okay.
I totally disagree with this. If there is one time where selfishness should be excused it would be how you celebrate or if you celebrate YOUR birthday. For one birthday, my father had died a few months ago and I was in no mood to celebrate so I asked everyone around me to not. They respected that. I feel if you are my loved one you should respect if I don't believe in celebrating my birthday.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:43 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,623,447 times
Quote:
I never celebrate my birthday, it's just a reminder of being born, the worst that has happened to me. My mother, my brother and friends also never fail to bother me about it but I usually stay at home on that day.
Take yourself out to a special dinner or something to celebrate that you survived all that. or just celebrate another day of life where you can be anything you want to be. or just an excuse to eat a big piece of fattening delicious 2-inch thick icing on delicious melt in your mouth chocolate cake! Or just celebrate that you are living your life the way you want and its just a nice day to be happy for yourself.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:04 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,196,663 times
I haven't celebrated my birthday since I was a pre-teen. To me, it's just another day.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:39 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,321,495 times
I am not a big celebrator of birthdays. I don't like to make a big deal out of mine, although I accept cards graciously. A lot of my friends take theirs off from work to enjoy the day all to themselves, but the idea doesn't appeal to me (usually rains on mine).

One woman I know, though, schedules parties at the coast for hers, and she's in her 40's. I'll admit, I have a little trouble understanding this, but she's a social person whose happiest in groups.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:45 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,139,326 times
Quote:

Hell yeah I celebrate my birthday. Any day above ground is a good one.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:27 AM

324 posts, read 294,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I hope you say thank you at least!
Of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You seem like a really fun person to be around. I'll bet people are clamoring for your company.
Perhaps they aren't and that's good to me.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:34 AM

732 posts, read 970,395 times
I prefer to skip my birthdays so I won't get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships