Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 PM

20,422 posts, read 14,733,077 times

Advertisements

I seriously miss fireflies. When I was a kid, we chased and caught them and got as many as we could in a jar, then released them when we had to go in. I never smooshed them, wasn't into harming any living creatures (still not, really.) I had no respect for boundaries of yards or property, either, I'd go pelting through a neighbor's front yard in a heartbeat to get a firefly.

We have lived in a bunch of places. When my kids were real little, we were in Iowa and had them there. I remember filling up a jar, and then we'd all sit still around it and take the lid off. Gradually the fireflies would escape and fly out, and sometimes they'd land on us for a moment. My boys loved that. But I always taught them to stay out of other people's yards, we just got them in our own.

Then since 07, we've lived in places with no fireflies.

So I miss 'em.

Makes me think though. As a kid I thought nothing of hopping a neighbor's chain link fence or dashing through their yard. I don't know why, but I didn't think anyone would mind. I was just passing through. I think I'd be furious if neighbor kids were in my yard nowadays though and I teach my boys not to do that. I don't know if "times" were different or just my parents didn't teach me something they should have....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 02:48 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,415,911 times
I think times were different. We'd cut through people's yards right up through high school, but these days nearly everyone's yard is fenced.

Fireflies seem to come and go. We get good years and bad ones, and I do remember keeping them in jars with holes for them to 'breathe,' lol, and some grass for comfort's sake.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:03 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,645,075 times
I grew up in South FL and what I remember pretty much my whole childhood. Some of my favorite memories were getting up on the weekends to a sunny home and watching my Saturday morning cartoons.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:59 AM

20,422 posts, read 14,733,077 times
I also remember having a sick day at home, and we had a big square coffee table that was like a solid piece of wood, and I sat on the edge of it and put together a big jigsaw puzzle while game shows like "The Price is Right" were on in the background.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:51 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,518,118 times
I remember mom stayed home and took care of the passel of kids.
Pop worked to support us all.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:59 AM

Yes...and how much we looked forward to Halloween! We dressed up in home-made costumes, although one year I had a store-bought tiger outfit.

No one went around with parents, and we loved to scare each other silly by mentioning 'the witch in the corner house' (she wasn't), or the mean old man down the block who'd put ex-lax in chocolate (he didn't).

Some people handed out apples or home-made popcorn balls. You'd make the candy last until Christmas, eating anything chocolate first, Necco wafers last. I was fond of Turkish taffy, candy cigarettes and bubble-gum cigars.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
. Was there ever a place called the Spaghetti Factory? Maybe? That might have been where he was singing.

s.
Yes In Hollywood on Sunset Blvd. It was a fun place to eat. Sadly, it closed and the building was torn down.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,185,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellflower View Post
I don't remember Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, but I do recall Johnny Carson keeping my terror level at an acceptable level when I was babysitting late into the night.
I was just thinking about this a couple of days ago - the reason I got into Johnny Carson really young was due to babysitting, and he was a lifesaver for my late-night terror as well. I would be sooooooo scared when the folks I was babysitting for would stay out until the wee hours. I started babysitting when I was 12, I think. I had never been in my house without at least one parent being there all night long, then all of a sudden I'm sitting in a strange house with no adults, little kids asleep (hopefully), terrified of the horrors I was certain were lurking out there on the other side of the dark windows. Luckily, the Tonight Show was on until 1:00 a.m., and it really helped distract me from the too-quiet house and burglars that I was sure were just about to break in.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes In Hollywood on Sunset Blvd. It was a fun place to eat. Sadly, it closed and the building was torn down.
Awwwww! Thanks for the confirmationk but sorry to hear about the place.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,320,776 times
The love is what I remember the most. My mother's hand on my forehead when I felt bad, my father's strength and knowing I was safe because they were there. Their laughter low and muffled when I was trying to sleep. Feeling that no matter what I did I would be loved unconditionally. Watching their love affair that was deeper than any seen on movies or television and learning not to settle for second best. Eating together at the dinner table and actually talking and being interested in one another. My home was full of love, and it is the place I most want to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships