Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times

Advertisements

How the heck are we supposed to have any idea why...us anonymous internet people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 11:49 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
Maybe he saw you going from pump to pump, assumed that you were having trouble and might need assistance, and you just got to the door as he was on his way out to offer to help.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:02 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I had an awkward encounter with the gas station attendant last night.
How is the attendent standing at the door awkward? Did you try and go past him, and he didn't allow it. Did he not accept your money?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:41 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,254 times
Perhaps the opposite is true - he'd had the door locked, and came to unlock it as you arrived.

Maybe he kept it locked for safety, or he was pleasuring himself behind the counter (or stealing from the till) and didn't want anyone to just walk in.

Maybe he was stretching his legs, maybe he just wanted to flirt with you and then chickened out.

Anyway, you can't know at this point.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I had an awkward encounter with the gas station attendant last night. Around 8:15pm (yes, it was dark), I stopped to get some gas. Several of the pumps were out of regular (which is what I need), so once I found the one I wanted. I stopped, got my wallet out, and headed inside to pay for it $20. The gas station attendant was right at the door waiting for me (he was behind the counter on his computer when I pulled in). What the heck was that about? While I was pumping, another lady pulled in but he didn't get up to greet her at the door. Has anyone ever experienced this?

I asked a friend and she says he probably thought I was going to rob him.
I don't understand this statement, Are you saying you drove to differant gas stations and none of them had regular so you stopped by this station and they did have regular gas? Or are you saying that several of the pumps at this station were out of regular and you finally found one that had regular gas at that station?

Old 11-12-2014, 01:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Maybe the attendent just wanted to check you out, as in he thought you were hot looking. Maybe the other woman that drove in was not as hot looking as you and he didn't care about checking her out.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:35 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
How is the attendent standing at the door awkward? Did you try and go past him, and he didn't allow it. Did he not accept your money?
Because 99% of the time, the attendant is behind the counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Perhaps the opposite is true - he'd had the door locked, and came to unlock it as you arrived.

Maybe he kept it locked for safety, or he was pleasuring himself behind the counter (or stealing from the till) and didn't want anyone to just walk in.

Maybe he was stretching his legs, maybe he just wanted to flirt with you and then chickened out.

Anyway, you can't know at this point.
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't understand this statement, Are you saying you drove to differant gas stations and none of them had regular so you stopped by this station and they did have regular gas? Or are you saying that several of the pumps at this station were out of regular and you finally found one that had regular gas at that station?
His gas station had several pumps that were out of regular. It wasn't until the 4th pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Maybe the attendent just wanted to check you out, as in he thought you were hot looking. Maybe the other woman that drove in was not as hot looking as you and he didn't care about checking her out.
Lol, I'm morbidly obese and black. The chances of this guy finding me attractive are slim to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Maybe he saw you going from pump to pump, assumed that you were having trouble and might need assistance, and you just got to the door as he was on his way out to offer to help.
I guess. But why would I need help? Several of his pumps were out of regular gas and some even had broken credit card machines. I don't see why he would think I need help if he knew that several of his pumps were not fully functioning.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:41 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
do you look like someone who might rob someone? lol thats a good enough guess.
I guess that depends on what you think a robber looks like. He probably thought I was a man because I'm so fat. I guess it doesn't help that I'm black (not pulling a race card here, just going off of facts... my race comments more crime).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
In my experience, the best way to find out why someone did something is to ask THEM. No one else could even give a good guess without being part of the actual situation.
True. I didn't want to spend much time there because it was dark and there were a bunch of guys standing at a bus stop which makes me uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Maybe he just felt like stretching his legs and your arrival was an excuse to get away from the desk!
I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sounds like you may have looked sketchy, and he went to the door in case he had to quickly lock it.

^^^...that is as good a guess as any of us can give.
Only HE knows why he did what he did.
I could totally understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh there's no telling why he was there - maybe he had to do something elsewhere in the store and just opened the door for you out of courtesy since he was standing close by anyway. Who knows? Why assume the worst?
True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Right, I think this guy was looking out for you and waited to open the door, there's no Security there but him.

I like to think he was looking out for you in a good way.
That is a good point considering the fact that there is a bus stop nearby and a bunch of guys were waiting for the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't see this as particularly awkward. Several reasons come to mind for why an attendant might stand up and come around the counter. It was dark and he couldn't see who was pumping gas so he got up to look. His back hurts when he sits or stands too long and he feels better when he moves around. He was on his way to the restroom. He was hot and wanted some fresh air.

Why do YOU think he got up?
I think he got up because he was suspicious. I don't blame him. I'd be extra-cautious if I were running a gas station at night, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Why do these encounters only happen to you? Do you look or act strangely?
It's rare that I have weird encounters. Whether or not I looks strange is a matter of opinion.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:42 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
You have a lot of posts like this, where you seem paranoid that someone is out to get you.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I second this.. This happened to me a few years ago and the attendant was just going to point out which pump was working..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships