Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:51 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,812,694 times

Advertisements

Several of my family members are interracial marriages. We have Italian, Indian, Colombian, British, Chinese, Japanese, and African Americans linked into our family now.

My case against these marriages is that family tradition is now non-existent and everyone is split up and tend to the dominant spouse's race side for family gatherings.

We used to be a tight-nit family but interracial marriages has divided the family.

I spoke with my sister and another cousin and they believe that everyone in America should embrace interracial marriages. They believe if you live in America, you shouldn't marry your own race by default and you should evaluate all races.

I believe you should marry the person that suit you the best and are most comfortable with and not follow some stupid trend or ideology. You may end up with someone of a difference race which is fine but you have to be totally committed and not because you are infatuated with that race.

For this reason I have distance myself with my sister and cousin because I felt they chose a path that divided the family. My parents have a difficult time preparing meals and communicate with inlaws of different races and our own traditions creates uncomfortable moments for the inlaws too.

My uncle who has been married for 40 yrs to a Colombian woman has kept to the family traditions and maintains good relationships with his in-laws. He doesn't subscribe to the trend that interracial marriage is the new thing to do.

With all the issues that I listed and other outstanding ones, I don't think interracial marriages will ever become more popular than same race because as I described the issues that it creates. Ultimately people still maintains relationships with their own race by indirectly forcing their spouse of a difference race to participate and their children will grow up identifying themselves with that particular race than consider themselves their own unique mixed race.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:55 AM

11,829 posts, read 12,091,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Several of my family members are interracial marriages. We have Italian, Indian, Colombian, British, Chinese, Japanese, and African Americans linked into our family now.

My case against these marriages is that family tradition is now non-existent and everyone is split up and tend to the dominant spouse's race side for family gatherings.

We used to be a tight-nit family but interracial marriages has divided the family.

I spoke with my sister and another cousin and they believe that everyone in America should embrace interracial marriages. They believe if you live in America, you shouldn't marry your own race by default and you should evaluate all races.

I believe you should marry the person that suit you the best and are most comfortable with and not follow some stupid trend or ideology. You may end up with someone of a difference race which is fine but you have to be totally committed and not because you are infatuated with that race.

For this reason I have distance myself with my sister and cousin because I felt they chose a path that divided the family. My parents have a difficult time preparing meals and communicate with inlaws of different races and our own traditions creates uncomfortable moments for the inlaws too.

My uncle who has been married for 40 yrs to a Colombian woman has kept to the family traditions and maintains good relationships with his in-laws. He doesn't subscribe to the trend that interracial marriage is the new thing to do.

With all the issues that I listed and other outstanding ones, I don't think interracial marriages will ever become more popular than same race because as I described the issues that it creates. Ultimately people still maintains relationships with their own race by indirectly forcing their spouse of a difference race to participate and their children will grow up identifying themselves with that particular race than consider themselves their own unique mixed race.
As to the bolded, I wouldn't think this has anything to do with race at all, but is the consequence simply of joining more than one family and trying to work out the logistics once the family of origin has more than themselves to consider.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:09 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,276,982 times
I think your own views and actions have divided your family quite a bit....

You decided to distance yourself.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:17 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,534,097 times
Quote:

So because your family has difficulty adapting to new cultures, all interracial marriages are bad?

I'm not sure that some of these would be considered interracial (Italian? British?) unless they are non- white. Is everyone reaching out to make the new people comfortable by learning about some of their traditions? Or do you expect that everyone should just follow your traditions?

It maybe that your family would have lost some of their closeness even if there had been no interracial relationships in your family. As people grow up, marry and start their own families, they start their own traditions. Nothing stays the same forever. Why can't the new relatives bring a dish when they come over to eat so that your parents don't have to cook? Why is it so hard to communicate with your in laws once you get to know them?

Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 AM

460 posts, read 1,008,645 times
This doesn't really sound like a racial issue to me. Just because someone is of a certain race doesn't mean they all follow the same traditions, or refuse to adopt the traditions of others. I think it's just kind of an American cultural issue of families being more independent and not as close as before. And maybe not that they aren't as close, but that they keep in touch in other ways, because of technology. In a lot of cases, people communicate a lot more than before, they just don't have to get in the car and drive to someone's house to share pictures and stories any more.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:26 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,327,693 times
Not sure where you are from. Welcome to the United States! We've mixed races for a few hundred years. We often refer to it as a melting pot. From what I can tell, there may be a bit of strangeness at first. After a generation or two, it becomes the norm and people start to accept it.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:30 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,219,224 times
Quote:

What makes you think your sister & cousin (or other family members) are not doing precisely the bolded statement?

It sounds like its a bit more than just "a pain to cook different foods" at family gatherings. It seems like you believe their marriage choices to be more of a rejection of a culture/customs which you believe in.

Have you asked them specifically what about their native customs/culture is pushing them away? And is it only the female members that are rejecting these customs?

Old 12-24-2014, 11:52 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,807,468 times
When you get married you create new traditions regardless of race. That's part of marriage and family.

I married same race and same religion, we changed our traditions completely. So your argument doesn't hold up.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:00 PM

20,549 posts, read 17,812,694 times
Keep in mind, this is out of my control. I maintain that I try my best to accommodate different religion and ethnic traditions so we can maintain family cohesion. I as an observer in these situations. I am the most assimilated member of the family. There are some on my side that just refuse to participate anymore due to their ethnicity preferences.

My parents normally cook up a big family dinner now just avoid doing so because of the uneasiness of being around with different races/cultures.

It has affected different members of my family directly and indirectly affected mine because I felt I am in the middle of it all.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM

412 posts, read 547,791 times
Quote:
Keep in mind, this is out of my control. I maintain that I try my best to accommodate different religion and ethnic traditions so we can maintain family cohesion. I as an observer in these situations. I am the most assimilated member of the family. There are some on my side that just refuse to participate anymore due to their ethnicity preferences.

My parents normally cook up a big family dinner now just avoid doing so because of the uneasiness of being around with different races/cultures.

It has affected different members of my family directly and indirectly affected mine because I felt I am in the middle of it all.
Well there's the problem right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships