Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:45 AM

15 posts, read 35,847 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have a "blue-collar" job and no college degree. I actually earn a lot more money than my "white-collar" and degreed sister. She hates that. I told her my salary (she asked), and she got really quiet and gave me this look of contempt. At a family gathering yesterday, I overheard her saying (more like shouting) to my parents, "I'm the college graduate. HE'S NOT. I SHOULD BE MAKING THE MONEY, NOT HIM. I'm only making $$$. HOW DARE THEY PAY HIM $$$. I work a professional job, he works this dirty and unprofessional job". You would think a family member would be happy for you. My sister got her job through connections, and was not really qualified for it at all. I actually struggled to get my job. She has a liberal arts degree, which is useless in my opinion. Why doesn't she at least share these feelings to my face?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 12:54 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
How long have you had your current job and how long have you been making more than her? How long has she been working?

She's your sister. Just comfort her and tell her that is how your industry works. You start a bit higher, but it's not as great of an opportunity as she has long-term. Make her feel as if her investment in education will pay off and she will end up making more in time... and encourage her to continue working hard at it and follow the path she has chosen.

This way, her energy will be focused in the right direction. Then let it be.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:49 AM

3,303 posts, read 3,032,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb8251 View Post
Ok, so I have a "blue-collar" job and no college degree. I actually earn a lot more money than my "white-collar" and degreed sister. She hates that. I told her my salary (she asked), and she got really quiet and gave me this look of contempt. At a family gathering yesterday, I overheard her saying (more like shouting) to my parents, "I'm the college graduate. HE'S NOT. I SHOULD BE MAKING THE MONEY, NOT HIM. I'm only making $$$. HOW DARE THEY PAY HIM $$$. I work a professional job, he works this dirty and unprofessional job". You would think a family member would be happy for you. My sister got her job through connections, and was not really qualified for it at all. I actually struggled to get my job. She has a liberal arts degree, which is useless in my opinion. Why doesn't she at least share these feelings to my face?
Wow, your sister's attitude is like 180 degrees from mine. I'm a college graduate, liberal arts degree (I can totally relate to the cartoon where the person is sitting on the sidewalk with a coin jar, holding a sign that says, "BA - will think for food"). After spending a lot of time with other college graduates, I would just be so happy to have someone around who knows how things work in the real world and can actually do something useful.

I once told a plumber who was at my house that he was my hero. I wasn't kidding. The blue collar men and women are the ones keeping this country going, IMO, and they deserve every hard earned penny they make. Your sister is way off base, and I think part of her outrage may be related to her feeling insecure about her job, because deep down, she knows that she is a phony.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:10 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,906,344 times
Out of my 4 siblings and I, only one has no college and that is the one who makes the most money. I'm really proud of her and tickled pink. She got there with hard work and dedication.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:22 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,244,286 times
It is entirely possible to make more money in blue collar jobs that add value. A degree is 4 years of educational experience. Some blue collared jobs require lots of experience and it's really hard, dirty, and demanding work requiring specialized knoweledge. Some experienced blue collar jobs blow the pants off newer professional graduates in total compensation, well into 6 figure range. I am a degreed professional that works in a 'blue collar' environment. Great work, great experience, and stellar compensation, but sometimes the physical location of the work is less than ideal.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:28 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,300,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
It is entirely possible to make more money in blue collar jobs that add value. A degree is 4 years of educational experience. Some blue collared jobs require lots of experience and it's really hard, dirty, and demanding work requiring specialized knoweledge. Some experienced blue collar jobs blow the pants off newer professional graduates in total compensation, well into 6 figure range. I am a degreed professional that works in a 'blue collar' environment. Great work, great experience, and stellar compensation, but sometimes the physical location of the work is less than ideal.
No one is suggesting that it is not possible for a blue collar worker to make good money. Four days before this thread, the OP was unemployed and had limited fuds, now he is well established in a good paying job and his sister is jealous of him. That's the issue.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,591,989 times
Your sister needs to grow up. Her problem is not your problem.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:50 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,297,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Your sister needs to grow up. Her problem is not your problem.
Agree with this.

Honestly, college degrees are way overrated. Many are not good for anything. It's a false sense of intelligence. Some of the smartest, most useful people I know never went to college. In college, some of the people with the best grades didn't have any real knowledge. They were just really good at memorizing. If you have something you're good at and can make a good, steady career with great pay then more power to you.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:28 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,207,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
No one is suggesting that it is not possible for a blue collar worker to make good money. Four days before this thread, the OP was unemployed and had limited fuds, now he is well established in a good paying job and his sister is jealous of him. That's the issue.
Hmmm. You are right. 6 posts - 6 new threads, this one contradicting the others.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,360,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Glad I read this post before responding. Thanks for the heads up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships