Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 04:36 PM

8,278 posts, read 8,675,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think it was rude to call him out. You're not the potty police even if it is gross.

My husband and a friend recently went to a pub for a drink. My husband said he went to the bathroom and there was a guy dressed in a pimp suit who was apparently a bathroom attendant. We had been there before when there was no attendant so this was a surprise especially since this bathroom setup really isn't built for an attendant. Anyway, my husband said he used the urinal and went to wash his hands and this attendant squirted some hand soap on my husband's hands. My husband wasn't sure what to think of that and really didn't need help washing his hands. He left and didn't tip the guy. When he got back to the table he told his friend about the attendant. His friend tried to wait it out, but eventually had to use the bathroom. His friend came back and apparently he decided the attendant was too weird. He used the urinal and then headed straight out the door without washing his hands. He said he didn't even make eye contact...just left. That's gross, but hilarious. I think I would have loved to have seen the look on the attendant's face.

I like attendants in restrooms. I have never had them squirt the soap in my hands but wouldn't mind if they did.

Your friend did not wash and calls someone else weird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 05:03 PM

19,148 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
It's gross. Maybe it embarrassed him enough to not do that again, although I highly doubt it.
Yup!
I have an old friend whose attitude toward hygiene in general and hand-washing in particular is...let's just say...very lax.

When he comes to my house, I remove the regular towels from the guest lavatory, and instead I place a roll of paper towels in that room. Knowing his habit of avoiding soap, and simply splashing a few drops of tepid water on his hands, followed by drying them on a towel...Why would I want to use the same towel that he has used?

It's just so much easier--and more sanitary--to use paper towels in that guest lavatory when he is there, to make sure that I use a paper towel to touch the faucets and the door handle if I use that room, and--needless to say--thoroughly sanitize the room after he leaves. He has apparently had these habits for his entire life, and I know that I cannot alter his habits. All I can do is to use defensive strategies so that I don't contract something that he might be carrying.

Now, multiply his habits by...perhaps hundreds...and you have some idea of what you face in a public restroom.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:26 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,776,282 times
Here's something for the germaphobes to consider.

Dirty hands? Think twice about using that public restroom soap | cleveland.com

Quote:
-- Here's something that might send you dashing back to the washroom: Microbiologists at GOJO Industries and other institutions have discovered that a quarter of the soap in public restrooms is so contaminated that it leaves your hands filthier than before you washed them. In fact, some of the soap they tested contained so much fecal matter that you're almost better off washing your hands in the toilet after you flush it, said Charles P. Gerba, professor of microbiology in the University of Arizona's Department of Soil, Water and Environmental Science.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:45 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,304,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I like attendants in restrooms. I have never had them squirt the soap in my hands but wouldn't mind if they did.

Your friend did not wash and calls someone else weird?
I doubt that is his regular habit. It was a strange situation and that was how he choose to handle it. My husband and I find it humorous.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,253,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
Yes it was extremely rude for the guy not to wash his hands. Every other guy in that restroom has to use the doorknob and now also gets to touch the non-hand washers "junk" by way of opening the door. So, its perfectly acceptable to call him out. I wish I had the guts to do that.
Yes it was nasty but every other guy had to use that doorknob either way. Or do you think your hero caught the only offender that day and saved everyone?

A better solution is a restroom that doesn't have doors but an offset corridor for the entrance, lie those in airports, stadiums, and even large travel plazas.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:09 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,160,664 times
I wish I had the guts to do that. It's shocking how many times you notice someone not washing. Meanwhile, I wash my hands pretty vigorously (but still not as long as the "sing happy birthday twice" recommendation), and I've had people ask me if I'm in the health care profession. No, it's just important to me to do it right. I also very rarely pick up colds or viruses.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,996,064 times
There was a great line from "Only In America" which chronicled the Ali-Foreman fight.

In a bathroom scene, Don King has just used the urinal and is walking out. Foreman asks him if he's going to wash his hands. King replies, "I was my hands before I touch my d*ck."

Old 05-19-2015, 09:10 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,781,152 times
while it is kinda gross... so is smoking a cigarette and i don't feel the need to berate every person i see smoking a cigarette.

anyone who says they wash their hands every single time after they use the bathroom is lying. everyone has been in a hurry and not done it before.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:18 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,925,616 times
I wish I had the guts to say something- As I was washing my hands in the womens rest room at the golf course club house the person in the stall finished and walked right out without washing her hands- as I walked out I saw her go behind the snack bar and start making sandwiches-!! My husband was in line to place an order and I grabbed his belt and jerked him out of line so fast he almost got whiplash.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,371,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Now I have another reason for not using the soap in public restrooms. I don't use it because too often the dispenser looks grimy to me, and because I have very sensitive skin. One or two drops of most public soaps will make my hands itchy and dry for the rest of the day. I rinse them well with warm water and dry them off completely. I'm not doing anything in there that a good rinse will not wash away. I keep hand sanitizer in my purse.

It's rude to comment on another's rude behavior unless that other person is one's child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships