Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:30 PM

115 posts, read 198,709 times

Advertisements

You're right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 12:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
I recently took a job an hour or so away from where I was living. the hours were long and the commute was bad so I had little time to do anything but sleep.

I didn't want to commit to a lease since I don't know the area where I work well and wanted something temporary like a sublease. My sister in law made a couple calls and a friend of a friend needed to rent a room and so she asks me if I'd consider it. I went and met with the lady and she presents herself as an accomplished God fearing lady.

A day after I get the key she meets me as I'm walking up to the door and says "hope you didn't buy anything somehow the refrigerator went out" I gave her the benefit of the doubt only to learn that half the house constantly went out and was instructed to just flip the breaker switch. This problem lasted for a few weeks until the electricity company shut the power off and gives notice that it's a fire hazard and won't be turned back on until the owner replaced the breaker box. The lady whose not the owner claims it was a new issue and acted shocked. Then this same day this lady tells me she has been approved for a new house and would be movng at the end of the month which would have been two weeks later and asked me to join her. She cried and said her and her kids needed me. I was like okay no problem.

The next week she comes and asks if I could pay her for the following month so that she could pay for the new place. I Had it and was like okay.

Then that weekend I come and her and her kids are hosting another lady and her kids for the weeknd with no forewarning or notice to me.

Then she became shadier. The date to move keep changing until this past weekend when she informs me that she would get the key yesterday. We discussed that once she got the key that I would go after work to take my stuff as I wouldn't have any of time to do it. I made sure to leave work early yesterday to get the key and this broad is nowhere to be found.

When I did finally talk to her she lets me know that the current tenants hadn't moved out so I couldn't move in. I asked her to see if I could bring my stuff and the current tenants could work around it and she refused. The situation sounded shady to me since most property management companies operate in a way where there is time between the people moving out and those moving in. I started to ask her the details around her new rental agreement and she snapped "stop interrogating me. It's no ones business"

So I got feed up and told her that I felt misled by her and that she wasn't forthright. She made it seem like she was financial stable but needed me to front Money, I believe the electricity wasn't a new issue and I believe she knew she was movng before I ever agreed to rent a room.

She went ballistic and accused me of being jealous, unhappy for her new house, confused and after tuning much of her rant out only God knows what else. She says that since its month to month she could move each month if she wanted to and that her rental agreements was none of my business. She yelled at me in front of her children and I just keep shaking my head no and saying she was selfish and not truthful.

All I wanted was to get my stuff to the new place without having to kiss work. She offered to do it for me which I declined because I didn't trust her or her shadier family members with my stuff especially since a lot of it as lose and not in boxes

So today this broad is acting like she didn't blow up at me yesterday. She's back smiling, laughing, asking about plans for the Fourth of July, telling me about the complex pool...

Had I not fronted her the money I would not have gone to the new place. I would of got my stuff and left altogether and commuted back to work from a relatives.

Now I'm left with a dilemma. Should I stay or go? When I leave should I give her notice? I don't trust her with notice.

As evil as it sound I just want to stay out this current month as it's been paid and just wake up and go without notice on the 31st of Julu. I plan to slowly start taking my stuff out of her house to my brothers each of the next four weekends

How would you react
I would go to my brothers now....Don't give her another chance to rip you off. I think you were used, just as you suspect...your money was what she used to get moved....I'd go after your money in small claims, or maybe because your sister introduced you, she could intervene. This lady has no excuse, you gave her money for something you can't even access.....She lied!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I would go to my brothers now....Don't give her another chance to rip you off. I think you were used, just as you suspect...your money was what she used to get moved....I'd go after your money in small claims, or maybe because your sister introduced you, she could intervene. This lady has no excuse, you gave her money for something you can't even access.....She lied!
Thanks. You're right.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:58 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would GTFO tonight.
I second this. Move home and go back to commuting.

Insist she give you the money back, but I doubt you'll ever see it.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Default Forget about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnw2015 View Post
thanks guys. Things went from bad to worse after i started this thread. I notice that this lady had switched out mattress that i had been sleeping on. The new bed is basically so low it's practically on the floor and the matress looks and feels like it went through world war 1 and 2

i then look at my boxes which were securely taped with several layers of taped to see hat they all had been opened and rummaged to. It took all the self control in the world not to strangle this b*tch

there was no possible way for her to confuse my boxes with hers as she used plastic bags to move the majority of her belongings
Cut Your Losses Now...AND Run Forest Run, Run Like Hell And Don't Look Back!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Go!

Old 07-03-2015, 08:05 PM

524 posts, read 400,206 times
Take pictures of your stuff before you leave everyday, just in case. Give her notice via text or email if you can and get out. Hopefully you'll find a better roommate. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:06 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,559 times
She sounds disturbed...possibly borderline. Red flags are everywhere! Do not buy into that "she sounds fine now" act. Get out. Protect yourself. Do not give her any info about where you are going. If you can get out when she and her family are not around all the better. If it gets rougher (if she puts up any kind of verbal or physical fight) call 911 asap. Let them know that you need to move your things out and you are being (feeling) threatened. They will send an officer or two over to where you are and they will stay there while you get your things out.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
She sounds disturbed...possibly borderline. Red flags are everywhere! Do not buy into that "she sounds fine now" act. Get out. Protect yourself. Do not give her any info about where you are going. If you can get out when she and her family are not around all the better. If it gets rougher (if she puts up any kind of verbal or physical fight) call 911 asap. Let them know that you need to move your things out and you are being (feeling) threatened. They will send an officer or two over to where you are and they will stay there while you get your things out.
She is. She's selfish, inconsiderate and crazy. Definitely not someone I want to be around

Old 07-05-2015, 03:14 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Have you asked your sister-in-law where she found this nutjob? If not, why not? I'd communicate with her immediately, and tell her you need to find a new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships