Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:04 PM

237 posts, read 224,809 times

Advertisements

This cashier probably doesn't give a flip where your accent is from. She's probably only asking you because of some mandate from management that she "engage with the customer". She's probably just following orders. At least she didn't ask if you want to donate a dollar for something.

For example, in the grocery store, the checkout clerk always asks "Did you find everything you were looking for?" What kind of asinine question is that? Why would I be checking out if I hadn't found everything I'm looking for?

The one that really gets me is when I go to a fast food place, and the first thing out of their mouth is "Would you like to try our Super duper combo meal?" Ugh! That is SO irritating. What's wrong with "Hello, may I take your order?"

I really feel for people working in these jobs and having to put up with such stupid management mandates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 01:58 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
"Albania, Albania..."

Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgifreak View Post
This cashier probably doesn't give a flip where your accent is from. She's probably only asking you because of some mandate from management that she "engage with the customer". She's probably just following orders. At least she didn't ask if you want to donate a dollar for something.
This. Or she is just being nice, but really doesn't care. Either way, I am sure she did not know someone was going to obsess over it.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:26 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
What's the big deal? Did you have big plans for those 5 seconds that you can't get back?
LOL! Pee pee pants!

This sort of thing used to annoy me.....until my memory started failing me. I suggest a little patience and compassion.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:02 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:

For example, in the grocery store, the checkout clerk always asks "Did you find everything you were looking for?" What kind of asinine question is that? Why would I be checking out if I hadn't found everything I'm looking for?

The one that really gets me is when I go to a fast food place, and the first thing out of their mouth is "Would you like to try our Super duper combo meal?" Ugh! That is SO irritating. What's wrong with "Hello, may I take your order?"

I really feel for people working in these jobs and having to put up with such stupid management mandates.
I agree - clerks are low paid and treated poorly as it is and don't need to be mandated to do things that are likely to just irritate most customers.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:12 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
One of our local grocery stores has their checkout cashiers ask this every time, too. Now I make sure to tell them specific products that I want that they don't carry, or things we wanted to buy that are out of stock on the shelves.

Since we started telling them about these things, they began stocking some of our desired items, so we're happy we don't have to drive to another store just to get them.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
About twice a week I stop in at a local Panera to get to breakfast and the same lady is the cashier almost all the time. Each time, without fail, she asks me where my accent is from. I've told her over and over and try to be polite and humor her, but it's a nuisance!

Do you hate just having to say the same thing over and over again?
Yes, this would annoy me a lot. I would not feel like a valued customer, whatsoever, if she asked me the same personal question every time I showed up.

I might actually say to her, "Do you realize you ask me that every time I come here, which has been about 10 times now?"

Maybe it will make her think of a different way to "engage," if that's the idea here. But, asking the same person a personal question, such as where their accent is from, over and over, to me would be insulting. It's like saying you're not memorable in any way, even though your accent is unique. Weird.

And what's with people on this forum kvetching about someone kvetching? Pot calling the kettle black, eh?

Old 07-02-2015, 04:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Rather than get annoyed over nothing, amuse yourself. Give her a different answer every time and chuckle to yourself as you leave. See if she ever notices. . I doubt if she is even paying attention to anything you say.
I agree.

I'll share a similar story. I used to ask my husband every morning if he know what the weather was going to be like today (so I could decide what to wear). I always accepted his answer and planned my outfit accordingly.

Then he switched to the night shift and was not awake for me to ask him about the weather. He let me in on his secret. For years he had answered me every single day saying "a lot like yesterday" and I never, ever, ever noticed. Because, basically a day in Wisconsin in January is always a lot like the day before, and a day in April in Wisconsin is always a lot like the day before, and a day in September in Wisconsin is always a lot like the day before, etc., etc. I was "listening" but not "hearing" what he said. I bet that the cashier is also listening but not hearing what you are saying. Or, see the following post.

Quote:

I agree. It is so mindless. Sometimes at a fast food place I will say my order "I want a cheeseburger and a small order of fries" and the clerk with ask "Would you like fries with that?" Duh! I just ordered fries.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:34 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree.

I'll share a similar story. I used to ask my husband every morning if he know what the weather was going to be like today (so I could decide what to wear). I always accepted his answer and planned my outfit accordingly.

Then he switched to the night shift and was not awake for me to ask him about the weather. He let me in on his secret. For years he had answered me every single day saying "a lot like yesterday" and I never, ever, ever noticed. Because, basically a day in Wisconsin in January is always a lot like the day before, and a day in April in Wisconsin is always a lot like the day before, and a day in September in Wisconsin is always a lot like the day before, etc., etc. I was "listening" but not "hearing" what he said. I bet that the cashier is also listening but not hearing what you are saying. Or, see the following post.

I agree. It is so mindless. Sometimes at a fast food place I will say my order "I want a cheeseburger and a small order of fries" and the clerk with ask "Would you like fries with that?" Duh! I just ordered fries.
haahaaa I totally did that when I worked at McDonald's when I was a teen. The boss ingrained it into us so hard, and then it became such a habit to blurt it out after each order.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:51 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
I'm from Europe, but sometimes mistaken as belonging to a Native American tribe. Each time someone ask my tribal affiliation my answer is Europache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships