Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 PM

418 posts, read 728,437 times

Advertisements

I would be annoyed, too. I think a customer with an interesting accent would be somewhat memorable. I'm not a huge fan of the checker chat, so to have the same dang conversation? No.

I was on vacation a few years back, and the shuttle driver made random small talk with us about where we were going that afternoon. Seemed interested in what we had to say, and we were a fairly distinctive looking couple. We have him a pretty good tip. Not two hours later we returned on the same shuttle (not that crowded or popular- we were the only riders both times) and he asked us the exact same questions with no memory of us at all. He didn't get a tip on that ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:18 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,642 times
Oh my goodness.
I get asked that all the time. If I let it bother me I'd be a nutcase.
Just tell that woman the next time she does it....."the same place I told you the last time you asked". Do it with a big smile, say "Have a great day" and that will probably take care of it.
She is either forgetful and/or has alot on her mind (such as how she is going to make her rent/bills payments off of what they pay her there.)

Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
I have a coworker who has asked me 3 times in the past year if I have my master's degree yet. It is pretty clear he just doesn't give a crap about any of us.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:57 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Some of us have short term memory problems and/or aren't good with faces. I ask my kids the same questions repeatedly, and it 's not because I don't give a crap about them! Half the time not only do I not remember the answer, I don't even remember having ever asked the question

On a side note, Micheals is huge, do you really expect some 19 yr old thing to to know all about knitting, sewing, framing, beading, scrapbooking, glass etching, oil paints, soaps, candles and who knows what all else they have? I think they probably do well just to know where to find stuff in the store, let alone know what or how everything is used.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:09 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
I don't have an accent , your the one that sounds funny!

Old 07-06-2015, 05:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
I moved my RX order from one pharmacy because without fail the same counter girl (not pharmacist) always made a big deal about how much it cost ("OMG this is REALLY expensive. That's terrible.") which was somewhat embarrassing. I have a high-deductible insurance plan that I carefully chose because in the end it saves me money. Do I need to explain this in front of other customers in line every single time?

I wrote a review on yelp saying this and don't see her there any more even though I did not identify her in any way.

If management policy made an employee annoy customers as the OP's post seems to suggest then management is to blame.

You missed an opportunity. You should have replied "well it's not expensive for me"(even if it was). Let her think you're loaded....LOL.

Like the OP you take things too seriously, rather than take to Yelp or have to switch pharmacies you nip it in the bud, I guarantee if you had said this she wouldn't have made that comment again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
Oh my goodness.
I get asked that all the time. If I let it bother me I'd be a nutcase.
Just tell that woman the next time she does it....."the same place I told you the last time you asked". Do it with a big smile, say "Have a great day" and that will probably take care of it.
She is either forgetful and/or has alot on her mind (such as how she is going to make her rent/bills payments off of what they pay her there.)
Exactly. I would add try asking her some questions about herself, if the OP wants to be recognized than try being engaging. If you treat her as an equal(I have a feeling based on the OP's other posts) that he sees her as beneath him due to her job.

If you say "how are you doing today?", maybe say what your first name is and treat her politely and kindly she will remember you.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgifreak View Post
This cashier probably doesn't give a flip where your accent is from. She's probably only asking you because of some mandate from management that she "engage with the customer". She's probably just following orders. At least she didn't ask if you want to donate a dollar for something.

For example, in the grocery store, the checkout clerk always asks "Did you find everything you were looking for?" What kind of asinine question is that? Why would I be checking out if I hadn't found everything I'm looking for?

The one that really gets me is when I go to a fast food place, and the first thing out of their mouth is "Would you like to try our Super duper combo meal?" Ugh! That is SO irritating. What's wrong with "Hello, may I take your order?"

I really feel for people working in these jobs and having to put up with such stupid management mandates.
That isn't an "asinine question". Not everybody did find everything they were looking for and sometimes I might even know where they can find it. Or we might be out of that product. Or it might be something the store would be interested in stocking. I even ask if they might need stamps or ice. Would that be unacceptable as well? Lots of people buy stamps because it's one thing they often forget the rest of the time.

Just a knee jerk reaction about your last line...I really feel for people working these jobs and having to put up with super critical customers. Years ago I decided that as a customer service employee I am damned if I do and damned if I don't so I really can't let things bother me too much.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree.

I'll share a similar story. I used to ask my husband every morning if he know what the weather was going to be like today (so I could decide what to wear). I always accepted his answer and planned my outfit accordingly.

Then he switched to the night shift and was not awake for me to ask him about the weather. He let me in on his secret. For years he had answered me every single day saying "a lot like yesterday" and I never, ever, ever noticed. Because, basically a day in Wisconsin in January is always a lot like the day before, and a day in April in Wisconsin is always a lot like the day before, and a day in September in Wisconsin is always a lot like the day before, etc., etc. I was "listening" but not "hearing" what he said. I bet that the cashier is also listening but not hearing what you are saying. Or, see the following post.

I agree. It is so mindless. Sometimes at a fast food place I will say my order "I want a cheeseburger and a small order of fries" and the clerk with ask "Would you like fries with that?" Duh! I just ordered fries.
I get that when I order a black coffee. "Would you like cream with that?". lol

Old 07-07-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
Some people I know have complained about the robotic "Have a nice day!" that many service people chirp just as customers leave.

Sure it can be annoying, and we know that the service people don't mean it, but so what?

I always answer loud and clear, "You, too!" It takes a second of my time.

There are far worse things to gripe about, aren't there?

I love some of the advice to the OP on what to respond to the Panera employee.
Sometimes my customer and I will say it at the same time and laugh. I don't know about other people but I DO mean it when I say it. I want all my customers to have a good day. When I ask them how their day is going at the beginning what they say and how they say it sets the tenor of the entire transaction for me. I HOPE they are doing good so maybe they'll be in a good mood! lol I can tell who not to interact with much and who I can joke with in the first few seconds. It's pretty interesting really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships