Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 04:56 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,315,162 times

Advertisements

Cut her some slack. You go in twice a week? She probably interacts with hundreds of customers in between your visits. It's not all about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 04:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,329,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I'm from Europe, but sometimes mistaken as belonging to a Native American tribe. Each time someone ask my tribal affiliation my answer is Europache.
That's funny!

Old 07-03-2015, 07:29 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,053,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
About twice a week I stop in at a local Panera to get to breakfast and the same lady is the cashier almost all the time. Each time, without fail, she asks me where my accent is from. I've told her over and over and try to be polite and humor her, but it's a nuisance!

Do you hate just having to say the same thing over and over again?
Yes. However, many people have problems with memory, especially short term memory, so maybe you should consider that as a possible issue.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:14 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,320,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Cut her some slack. You go in twice a week? She probably interacts with hundreds of customers in between your visits. It's not all about you.
This, she sees a ton of customers a day and I'm sure she does not remember you.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:19 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,516,811 times
Original Poster: Go to a different shop or make breakfast at home.
This should not be something you get so upset over, perhaps there are other issues at the root of this situation.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:25 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,522,921 times
Some people I know have complained about the robotic "Have a nice day!" that many service people chirp just as customers leave.

Sure it can be annoying, and we know that the service people don't mean it, but so what?

I always answer loud and clear, "You, too!" It takes a second of my time.

There are far worse things to gripe about, aren't there?

I love some of the advice to the OP on what to respond to the Panera employee.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,021,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
About twice a week I stop in at a local Panera to get to breakfast and the same lady is the cashier almost all the time. Each time, without fail, she asks me where my accent is from. I've told her over and over and try to be polite and humor her, but it's a nuisance!

Do you hate just having to say the same thing over and over again?
Yes except it is always about my accent and race. So I always say I'm from a city called Lifesaver and its between Texas uk and Pepto Germany. Yes I really say this and laugh everytime

Old 07-03-2015, 11:11 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,849,851 times
I moved my RX order from one pharmacy because without fail the same counter girl (not pharmacist) always made a big deal about how much it cost ("OMG this is REALLY expensive. That's terrible.") which was somewhat embarrassing. I have a high-deductible insurance plan that I carefully chose because in the end it saves me money. Do I need to explain this in front of other customers in line every single time?

I wrote a review on yelp saying this and don't see her there any more even though I did not identify her in any way.

If management policy made an employee annoy customers as the OP's post seems to suggest then management is to blame.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:31 PM

15,655 posts, read 26,397,922 times
Well -- it all comes down to training and common sense... which people seem more and more to have NONE of.

I went into Michaels years ago to buy one more skein of yarn to finish an afghan, and the cashier, who I am sure was told to interact with the customers, asked me, after fiddling with the yarn -- are you going to yarn this weekend?

I smiled and said -- I crochet, and I am finishing up a blanket, but I have friends who knit... and that's what we do with yarn.

I fully put the blame on Michaels.... because I see cashiers stocking, and doing other things around the store. If they are going to hire people who do not craft -- and I know they probably have to -- they should at least train them what the heck the stuff is in the store. Because they are the ones we ask when we are looking for something to do a particular thing, when we don't know specifically what we want.

Which is also why I NEVER go into Michaels anymore -- Joannes has the same stuff at the same price with great coupons and staff that actually seems to know their products.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:33 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,329,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Well -- it all comes down to training and common sense... which people seem more and more to have NONE of.

I went into Michaels years ago to buy one more skein of yarn to finish an afghan, and the cashier, who I am sure was told to interact with the customers, asked me, after fiddling with the yarn -- are you going to yarn this weekend?

I smiled and said -- I crochet, and I am finishing up a blanket, but I have friends who knit... and that's what we do with yarn.

I fully put the blame on Michaels.... because I see cashiers stocking, and doing other things around the store. If they are going to hire people who do not craft -- and I know they probably have to -- they should at least train them what the heck the stuff is in the store. Because they are the ones we ask when we are looking for something to do a particular thing, when we don't know specifically what we want.

Which is also why I NEVER go into Michaels anymore -- Joannes has the same stuff at the same price with great coupons and staff that actually seems to know their products.
That is hilarious! I pictured someone telling stories (yarns) to their friends around a campfire.

A clerk at Michaels really should know more about the crafts and craft & hobby supplies that they sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships