Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 04:42 PM

1,400 posts, read 771,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Do you know someone who you would consider to be 'boring'?

When you think of the word boring is there anyone who immediately pops into your mind? If so, who is that person? What makes them boring to you?
The only thing that makes a person boring is when they don't care at all about the person they speak with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 PM

8,090 posts, read 12,819,840 times
Usually someone that I share no common interests or experiences with. I am sure these people find me boring as well.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:41 PM

358 posts, read 283,443 times
My dad. Very quiet, barely talks to me except when he needs/has something to say.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:46 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,363,126 times
I really don't refer to anyone as "boring". I most likely will think of myself as being "bored" when doing something I don't care to be doing. The finger points at myself. It is not up to others to keep me interested. It's up to me. If I am with someone and we don't have much in common then I can choose not to be around them at all or to limit the time I am with them.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,644,493 times
A friend who I have had for many years is so boring that I spend little time with her. Loud and complaining, tells the same storys over and over about the pain her family members are, and I barely know them. Any increase in payment for anything throws her into a tizzy. Have gotton to where I just dont take her calls as just not worth it. Nancy739 said it best, they arent the least bit interested in what you have to say.

Last edited by luv my dayton; 08-15-2015 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: add on.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:14 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,502,965 times
Boring people have no communication skills. They aren't good listeners. A person who is interesting is interested. They don't need to be talking all the time; some of my best friends have been almost silent on fishing or camping trips, but we could both understand what we were working on, and were both cooperating. I have a 94-year-old neighbor who loves gardening and landscaping. We like to spend time in each others' yards, just looking at what's growing. We often say very little, but we are both actively engaged in observation, and pointing out what needs some more work.

Boring people are just plain not interested in you. They often talk too much about themselves.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:17 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,838,855 times
Talks non-stop about themselves, their kids, grandkids (that I don't know) pets (and I love animals but too much is too much) or telling stories in minute detail that don't matter to the overall point of the story. Any litany of complaints that go on too long and that become predictable about people, the job, health, politics (OMG, I hate politics) really anything can be worn too thin, these people are tiresome.

Like someone else mentioned, people that do nothing. We only get free TV where we live. We don't have much that we watch so someone that works through the entire cable playlist talking about shows that I have never seen or heard of can get to be boring if that is their only interest.

I'm sure there is more but that's what comes to immediate mind.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,216,070 times
There are many ways to be boring. Here are some examples:

Talk too much in general
Talk too much about oneself
Say almost nothing and don't try to have a conversation (annoying and boring)
Talk about medical issues all the time
Talk about children or grandchildren all the time
Don't know how to get beyond small talk
Have a non-inquiring mind
Constantly complain
Have a vocabulary that hasn't improved since the sixth grade
Never take an interest in anyone else
Never empathize or give credit to anyone else

I am sure there are other ways to bore your listeners and friends. These are what I can think of now.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:02 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,268,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
People with no curiosity about the world around them. If you have interests in anything and can speak about it enthusiastically, I will likely find you interesting, as long as you don't repeat yourself too much. Even if you're going on about your love of, I dunno, yam hybrids.
That's a good quality I have. I find most men to be boring, if anything other than sports is discussed I can see their eyes glazing over and everything switching off. Which is irritating because I find myself having to pretend to have an interest in sports in order to have any sort of conversation with a man.

It's nice to see someone having respect for the opinions of others. I haven't really met anybody like that.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:04 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,268,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Boring people have no communication skills. They aren't good listeners. A person who is interesting is interested. They don't need to be talking all the time; some of my best friends have been almost silent on fishing or camping trips, but we could both understand what we were working on, and were both cooperating. I have a 94-year-old neighbor who loves gardening and landscaping. We like to spend time in each others' yards, just looking at what's growing. We often say very little, but we are both actively engaged in observation, and pointing out what needs some more work.

Boring people are just plain not interested in you. They often talk too much about themselves.
My father does that. He doesn't even pretend to listen, just cuts right over me and starts talking about something else.

Kind of rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships