Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 06:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The people you are speaking to probably don't want to talk to you in the first place, which is why they are giving you one-word answers. You are probably making them feel uncomfortable by talking to them when they would rather be left alone. Some people just aren't chatty. It's good to respect boundaries. You might find them boring, but they probably find you boring too.
Possibly. But the question was about how people are boring. And one word monosyllabic answers are one way to be boring. I'd think the likely reason for this kind of interaction is extreme shyness or social anxiety. If someone is deliberately doing the one word answer, like a hostile teenager, then he or she is not only boring but hostile and unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
My sister in law. She tells the most boring stories, puts in way too much detail, monotone, she goes on and on. In reality she just wants to tell her story---she has no interest in hearing anyone else's. My husband always says she must like the sound of her own voice.
Boring is also someone who only talks about themselves, has no interest in engaging in a conversation.
I agree with this! From listening to people tell long circuitous stories, I have learned to cut to the chase. And I wish others would too. Just give me the high points, OK?

I also admit that I have been guilty of this. But I resolved awhile back to improve. I appreciate the post, because it reminds me of that. Too much info = boredom.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:29 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
I have a hard time with people that have no interest in reading. Anyone that can talk about books, newspapers or movies from the past can get and hold my attention usually.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,396 times
People who tell a mundane story in minute detail, extending something that should take a minute to relate into a 15 minute sermon. I used to work with a lady afflicted with this, she was otherwise a nice and interesting person but it got to a point where I would avoid talking to her.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:33 PM

131 posts, read 160,526 times
I think negative people are boring. When I hear someone who has so many negative things to say about so much, I can't wait to escape their company.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Golfers. Worse are golfers who spend hours in front of the TV watching......golf.
I never understood the appeal of Golf but to each his own. It's bad enough that I have GOLF TV and is part of my cable package that I have to pay monthly for!

Old 08-17-2015, 06:02 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
1)Nothing more boring than to hear about someone's medical issues in minute detail and pretty much nothing else.
2)Someone talking about people you don't even know, and could care less about.
3)Non-stop talkers who require no participation from you. On the phone, I have left them talking and attended to something in another room, then came back and found them still talking. Never even realized I had taken a break from the "conversation".
4)Overly opinionated people who insist on ramming their opinions down your throat.

I consider myself a good listener, but these types of people make me want to avoid conversations with them at all costs.
This list sounds like the description of a very annoying person, not necessarily "boring". Just annoying.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:14 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I never understood the appeal of Golf but to each his own. It's bad enough that I have GOLF TV and is part of my cable package that I have to pay monthly for!

I have always had an admiration for the slower, quieter type sports with no obnoxious loud crowds of fans.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:47 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Just watch the Kardashians !

Old 08-17-2015, 07:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
A person that has the same issue/problem for decades and never
DOES anything about it!
But, loves to go on and on about that same issue....be it the neighbor, family,
romance, finances, lonliness...never DOES anything.

Boooorrring...after 3-4 decades...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships