Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 07:14 PM

5,348 posts, read 8,579,921 times

Advertisements

A specific person from my past comes to mind.... it was a co-worker. It took me a while to catch on, but she was negative, in a subtle way, and pretty much only talked about her husband and her sister. She didn't seem to have any intellectual curiosity at all. She also had a very flat affect- her face didn't reveal emotion, nor did she seem to ever share any inner emotions about anything.

Once I realized how flat and dull her personality was, I began avoiding her like the plague. I would feel myself sliding into a coma within minutes of having to interact with her- she was a human tranquilizer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 07:30 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,660,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
My father. Not necessarily boring just hard to talk to. I always make a point of trying to have a conversation with him but it never goes anywhere, you just get one word answers or short sentences that he never elaborates on.

It's annoying when I am trying to talk to a person and they do that. I don't understand why they can't just have a normal discussion like normal people, it makes it uncomfortable for the person on the receiving end.
The people you are speaking to probably don't want to talk to you in the first place, which is why they are giving you one-word answers. You are probably making them feel uncomfortable by talking to them when they would rather be left alone. Some people just aren't chatty. It's good to respect boundaries. You might find them boring, but they probably find you boring too.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,519,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Do you know someone who you would consider to be 'boring'?

When you think of the word boring is there anyone who immediately pops into your mind? If so, who is that person? What makes them boring to you?
No. I make a point of not being in the company of bores. My test for them is identify what they do for during their 'off' time like the weekend, after work, or on vacation. If they sit around the house all weekend, sit in front of the TV all the time, and don't travel, then I know conversations with them will bore me. That doesn't mean they aren't interesting to others or otherwise "cool," or that doing nothing occasionally (like I'm doing now) is not good - we all need our down time. But if they have the opportunity to something else, and they don't...boring.

[different personalities]

Old 08-15-2015, 10:29 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,584,507 times
Not much to add other than the ''know it all personality''.

Not only do they already know what you are sharing in a conversation...they know LOTS more.

This knowing evolves into a ''mini lecture'' wherein they just blather on, not hearing or caring for, any comment you have to make.

They are the ''expert'' and you can literally set the phone down and walk off and this type will just blather on and on.

Boring as ''h-e-double hockey sticks''!

Old 08-15-2015, 11:25 PM

22,710 posts, read 19,380,578 times
self-absorbed
only wants to talk about themself
is not interested in hearing what other people say
says the same things over and over
if someone is always hostile or critical or negative
someone who complains, but does nothing to try to improve or change the situation
gossip

Old 08-16-2015, 12:38 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,419,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Do you know someone who you would consider to be 'boring'?

When you think of the word boring is there anyone who immediately pops into your mind? If so, who is that person? What makes them boring to you?
My sister in law. She tells the most boring stories, puts in way too much detail, monotone, she goes on and on. In reality she just wants to tell her story---she has no interest in hearing anyone else's. My husband always says she must like the sound of her own voice.
Boring is also someone who only talks about themselves, has no interest in engaging in a conversation.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:30 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,019,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Boring just means no common interests. Someone who is boring to me won't be to some one else who shares their interests.

Most boring? When I bought my house the best friends of the previous owner thought the friendship went with the house. They wanted to hang out with me and his only topic of interest was his golf game, narrated one step at a time. He wasn't interested in not talking long enough for anyone else to say anything. Even his wife tried to ditch him if she could fob him off on someone else.

An avid golfer might think he was a great pal, talking nothing but golf.
Great point. We have a new next door neighbor, a really nice divorced single father with a young son about 9 years old who sees him every other weekend. Although he's a friendly guy and a great neighbor, he wants to socialize with us, but my wife and I aren't interested. We have nothing in common with him save the proximity of our homes, so I think any conversation we have with him would be lame and stilted, especially since there would be no other people out there to serve as filler during those awkward silences. We sit out on our porch in good weather, just the two of us, listening to music and having a few drinks. It's our relaxing couple time, and we don't want to share it with anyone, but the neighbor has asked on more than one occasion to join us. She feels like we're being rude by never inviting him, but I don't. We aren't obligated to hang out with him, and as long as we're friendly in passing and watch his house when he goes out of his town for his job, which is frequent, I think we've done our part.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,944,459 times
Someone who is boring to you might be interesting to another. It's all relative based on many things.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:20 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,882,462 times
A general rule of thumb is people will find others boring if the other person doesn't have similar interests and, in turn, isn't very interested in what that person has to say.

Conversely, people absolutely love others who seem to hang on every word they say. There are many people who are experts are feigning interest, when, in reality, they find what the other person is saying mundane.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,212,538 times
Always bringing the conversation back to talking about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships