Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:59 PM

61 posts, read 88,429 times

Advertisements

I am a 32 year old man who currently lives alone in a one bedroom apartment. One of my new friends, who is studying abroad (he's from Japan) is asking me if I want to get a 2 bedroom with him because things are not working out with his current roommate, who doesn't seem to pay his share on time.

Anyway, I don't know him that well, but we have a lot of common interests. One of them being that he is an aspiring filmmaker, having actually won quite a few competitions lately and I am a musician who is hoping to start working on soundtracks soon. I think we are compatible in that sense, so I could maybe see myself living with him.

However, I love living alone and Im not sure if I want to leave my apartment just yet, but he needs an answer by the end of this month.

It would definitely help from a financial standpoint, seeing how I am currently being harassed at my job and looking for a new one. It would be a bit of a stress relief to know that I don't have to pay as much a month.

I use to live with a gf a few years ago, and while that situation was obviously different, it is safe to say that I love living alone lol. And I love my balcony...its so awesome, i dont know if I wanna leave yet.

But I am worried that he will be disappointed if I say no, and he is such a good person to know as far the independent film industry goes.

What should I do to help me decide? Am I too old to live with a roommate? I know that's kind of a ridiculous question, but would this be considered a step down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:34 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
if you want some financial relief, you may go for it. If you don't want to though, just tell the guy, that you cannot get away from your current lease, that's it.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:09 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
I decided never to live with a roommate after I left college. I wouldn't mind staying in a tiny studio apartment to save money but I will never live with roommates again. One of the main reasons is the type of people who have access to your home. Living with another person takes away that control from you. We become set in our ways as we get older & unless its your family, you wont be so willing to compromise with strangers. Not saying you cant overcome that, but I would never go back living in that situation again.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:35 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
I've lived with someone in my home and it's brought me to conclude that I'm much happier alone, so the answer is no.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:53 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,089 times
Quote:
But I am worried that he will be disappointed if I say no, and he is such a good person to know as far the independent film industry goes.
Worry about YOU, not him. You cannot make big decisions based on other people's feelings.

I like living alone too much frankly. But I know myself really well. I also do not like giving up some control to another, which is what would happen with a non-romantic other sharing a living space. And some ppl arent as nice as they seem, which you wont see until you live with them.

You two can hang out all you want if you think it would be good to partner with him creatively. Often though, if I am content in a situation I do not like to take risks. I've had bad roommates and been trapped legally. I hated that. I have horror stories; I just wont risk it again esp. now that I am a "grown up" and all.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Alone, for sure.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
personally speaking i'd live alone every time, I've done renting shared houses before and its a nightmare.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:38 AM

714 posts, read 747,700 times
Don't worry about what he will think. If he would throw a cold shoulder your way over this, you probably wouldn't want to work with him anyway.

When he's out of the equation in your decision, it's saving $$$ vs. staying in a place you like.

I prefer living alone, and it sounds like you do too. Just don't worry about what he will think, and if you decide to stay in your current situation just tell him ASAP so he can make other arrangements.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I'd much prefer to live alone, can come and go as I please and not have to answer to anyone about personal habits.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:45 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I'd always prefer to live alone instead of with a roommate. The exception, of course, is my husband. He's the only "roommate" I've ever had that didn't drive me totally crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships