Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:54 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,148,115 times

Advertisements

My mother-in-law is involved in a relationship with someone that is mentally and emotionally abusive. My husband and I have been a listening ear to her, but we have noticed she complains with the same problems, and we assumed that this last time they had a major argument she was finally done with him. She said that was it, and she deserves better. But recently she has announced they are trying again.

My mother-in-law is in her mid-50's and looks marvelous, but her boyfriend puts her down about her weight (she is not anywhere near being overweight 5'7 125 lbs), how old she looks, how gray her hair is, how she doesn't do enough for him, and to quit her job and wait on him hand and foot and etc. To me the things that he picks on her about are so petty and shallow.

I know it is her life and her decision, but myself personally, I do not care to listen to her complaints if she chooses to stay with someone that treats her this way. I am always wanting to be a listening ear to people, but it has come to the point where we are her emotional dumping grounds over and over, while she runs back to a man that treats her like a doormat. I feel as though I lost a bit of respect for her.

Would you feel the same way?

btw, mother-in-law and boyfriend are both in the 50's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 12:47 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,376,185 times
Your mom quit her job to wait on him hand & foot?? He also sounds like a control freak. Give her an ultimatum, it's either you or her loser bf.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:54 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,283,993 times
My ex's mother was the same way. Her husband treats women as inferior things, disrespects her at every turn, calling her names, telling her what to do, where to go and when. He makes fun of her weight in front of the family members and expects her to do everything in the house. They would fight and she would drag me to the side to cry and complain about how she wants to leave him and be happy. And yet, she never does. They were in their mid 40's.

I realized no matter how I feel about her situation, and she knows she deserves better, she will not leave the relationship. I don't waste my breath trying to persuade her to go. I just sat there, nodded and listened.

Sometimes, that's all they want from you.

You cannot help her. Confronting the boyfriend won't help as she will reinforce his behaviour. If she is staying, you cannot help her. All you can do is be there in case she finally accept that he wasn't going to be a better person and she can be with one.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Your mom quit her job to wait on him hand & foot?? He also sounds like a control freak. Give her an ultimatum, it's either you or her loser bf.
No, he wants her to quit her job. She is nearing retirement, so she is contemplating retiring early. She makes great money, owns her her house and I personally do not see the point of retiring just to baby him.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:02 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,376,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
No, he wants her to quit her job. She is nearing retirement, so she is contemplating retiring early. She makes great money, owns her her house and I personally do not see the point of retiring just to baby him.
Try convincing her it's a terrible idea.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
My ex's mother was the same way. Her husband treats women as inferior things, disrespects her at every turn, calling her names, telling her what to do, where to go and when. He makes fun of her weight in front of the family members and expects her to do everything in the house. They would fight and she would drag me to the side to cry and complain about how she wants to leave him and be happy. And yet, she never does. They were in their mid 40's.

I realized no matter how I feel about her situation, and she knows she deserves better, she will not leave the relationship. I don't waste my breath trying to persuade her to go. I just sat there, nodded and listened.

Sometimes, that's all they want from you.

You cannot help her. Confronting the boyfriend won't help as she will reinforce his behaviour. If she is staying, you cannot help her. All you can do is be there in case she finally accept that he wasn't going to be a better person and she can be with one.
We have no plans on confronting him, but deeply disappointed she is staying with this person. It is to the point she is unpleasant to visit because she wants to talk about him and their problems. I will just sit there and nod my head then. I have no other input to give her.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Try convincing her it's a terrible idea.
We've tried. She isn't really listening lol.

I guess we are just going to sit back and watch the explosions again.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:13 PM

602 posts, read 1,078,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
My mother-in-law is involved in a relationship with someone that is mentally and emotionally abusive. My husband and I have been a listening ear to her, but we have noticed she complains with the same problems, and we assumed that this last time they had a major argument she was finally done with him. She said that was it, and she deserves better. But recently she has announced they are trying again.

My mother-in-law is in her mid-50's and looks marvelous, but her boyfriend puts her down about her weight (she is not anywhere near being overweight 5'7 125 lbs), how old she looks, how gray her hair is, how she doesn't do enough for him, and to quit her job and wait on him hand and foot and etc. To me the things that he picks on her about are so petty and shallow.

I know it is her life and her decision, but myself personally, I do not care to listen to her complaints if she chooses to stay with someone that treats her this way. I am always wanting to be a listening ear to people, but it has come to the point where we are her emotional dumping grounds over and over, while she runs back to a man that treats her like a doormat. I feel as though I lost a bit of respect for her.

Would you feel the same way?

btw, mother-in-law and boyfriend are both in the 50's.
Look like she has a lot going for herself financially wise, far as the BF, instead of pointing out what he doesn't like, probably should start focusing on what he likes before she wake up and have a change of heart.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,795,970 times
Try not to enable dysfunctional relationships. Your mother in law and her boyfriend are locked in a toxic dance of their own choosing. You can't help her.

She and he are like heat seeking missles. People like this find each other. Their mental dysfunction feeds on the crazy relationship. There is nothing you can do about it.

At the same time you don't have to listen or be involved in it. When she starts up about her problems, change the subject. If that doesn't help, just excuse yourselves and leave.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:41 PM

24,784 posts, read 11,181,307 times
As long as he is BF and she is working things are what they are. Can you play roulette and have potential competition at get togethers? What does he bring to the table that has her hooked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships