Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:14 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else do this and end up feeling like a failure in life?

I went to a magnet high school, one of the top schools in the country.

But I was never an overachiever type. I've always worked the maximum hours legal since I was 13 so that I could move out as soon as possible (abusive mother), so all I cared about back then was saving up money, graduating and going to the least expensive accredited university to avoid student loans. So I moved out at 17, permanently cut ties from my family, and graduated from a state university with a decent degree. I held full-time jobs throughout, and now have a nice cushy tech job at a good company, but it's not Google or Facebook caliber. I'm married, we have no debt, and we're enjoying life while saving up a good amount of money. I've been able to travel abroad extensively (something I always valued).

I'm 24, and for my age, I'm doing OK in life so far. I'm pretty happy, and I know there are many people in worse situations, so I shouldn't complain.

But then I googled my former classmates, and it seems like they've all gone on to Harvard or other Ivies, going to prestigious business schools, and working at prestigious companies like Google or media companies. And they've all seemed to hold a ton of different leadership roles throughout. They all seem so powerful and perfect and are extremely high achievers.

I know it's pretty "first world problems", but I can't help envying their success and feeling mediocre in comparison. I'm kicking myself for not achieving more academically when I was in high school.

Anyone else relate to this feeling when they Google their former classmates?

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 09-03-2015 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 12:39 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
You need to re-read your post as if you are reading about someone else. Wouldnt you think, wow, look at this dude. Working since he was 13, graduated a university with no loans, had full time jobs, now has a nice cushy tech job. Married, no debt, saving money, traveling abroad. He's only 24.

Wow, look at this dude! Do you know how many people would give their left nut to be in your position??? How in the world do you envy others when you are where you are now....at 24??? Now if you were living under a bridge then yeah, Id be a little envious. Your classmates have nothing on you. Nothing.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:02 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Actually, when I google my classmates from high school, I end up feeling a bit smugly superior. Many of them never left the county and are basically living their lives in a rut, just plodding along.

But you, OP, are a success by anyone's definition of the word. Revel in the fact that your dedication and hard work have paid off handsomely, and go enjoy your wife, your debt-free lifestyle, and your travels abroad.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:05 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Instead of comparing yourself to others, compare yourself to you. You've come a long way and, seemingly, doing something you've always wanted-traveling.

You pretty much have it all-family, decent income, ability to enjoy your life.

to answer your question: no, I don't relate to those feelings. For one thing, I don't google anyone from my past. That was then, this is now.

and they've got their lives, I've got mine.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:21 PM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times
If you are happy why do you even care what others think ?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:25 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
A lot of those people who "appear" to be doing well financially may have actually filed bankruptcy.

This site is good for looking up people by name or town. Almost as much fun as looking up old classmates on a Megan's Law website!

Bankruptcy Search Engine Database

Old 09-03-2015, 03:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
A lot of those people who "appear" to be doing well financially may have actually filed bankruptcy.

This site is good for looking up people by name or town. Almost as much fun as looking up old classmates on a Megan's Law website!

Bankruptcy Search Engine Database
Why would you even care, to make yourself feel better about yourself?

Do you get joy out of finding about bad things about people you don't even have direct contact with? The germans have a word for that "schadenfreude", deriving pleasure from other's misfortune, not an admirable quality.

Odd.

Unless I am interested in establishing contact with someone I used to know(by contact I mean a phone call or seeing them in person if geographically possible) who cares.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:11 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
Yeah. I googled someone I went to school with, and I don't think I want to ever do it again.

Found out the individual I googled was killed in the twin towers on 9/11. That put an end to my googling people!

Old 09-03-2015, 04:21 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
I googled my college roommate. Turns out he's a registered sex offender who molested a 10 year old girl. Leaving the past behind where it belongs.

OP, you're doing fine and you did it all on your own. Be happy.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:43 PM

424 posts, read 381,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Does anyone else do this and end up feeling like a failure in life?

I went to a magnet high school, one of the top schools in the country.

But I was never an overachiever type. I've always worked the maximum hours legal since I was 13 so that I could move out as soon as possible (abusive mother), so all I cared about back then was saving up money, graduating and going to the least expensive accredited university to avoid student loans. So I moved out at 17, permanently cut ties from my family, and graduated from a state university with a decent degree. I held full-time jobs throughout, and now have a nice cushy tech job at a good company, but it's not Google or Facebook caliber. I'm married, we have no debt, and we're enjoying life while saving up a good amount of money. I've been able to travel abroad extensively (something I always valued).

I'm 24, and for my age, I'm doing OK in life so far. I'm pretty happy, and I know there are many people in worse situations, so I shouldn't complain.

But then I googled my former classmates, and it seems like they've all gone on to Harvard or other Ivies, going to prestigious business schools, and working at prestigious companies like Google or media companies. And they've all seemed to hold a ton of different leadership roles throughout. They all seem so powerful and perfect and are extremely high achievers.

I know it's pretty "first world problems", but I can't help envying their success and feeling mediocre in comparison. I'm kicking myself for not achieving more academically when I was in high school.

Anyone else relate to this feeling when they Google their former classmates?
what???? you are probably better off than 80% of the population.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships