Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 05:49 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,795,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Does anyone else do this and end up feeling like a failure in life?

I went to a magnet high school, one of the top schools in the country.

But I was never an overachiever type. I've always worked the maximum hours legal since I was 13 so that I could move out as soon as possible (abusive mother), so all I cared about back then was saving up money, graduating and going to the least expensive accredited university to avoid student loans. So I moved out at 17, permanently cut ties from my family, and graduated from a state university with a decent degree. I held full-time jobs throughout, and now have a nice cushy tech job at a good company, but it's not Google or Facebook caliber. I'm married, we have no debt, and we're enjoying life while saving up a good amount of money. I've been able to travel abroad extensively (something I always valued).

I'm 24, and for my age, I'm doing OK in life so far. I'm pretty happy, and I know there are many people in worse situations, so I shouldn't complain.

But then I googled my former classmates, and it seems like they've all gone on to Harvard or other Ivies, going to prestigious business schools, and working at prestigious companies like Google or media companies. And they've all seemed to hold a ton of different leadership roles throughout. They all seem so powerful and perfect and are extremely high achievers.

I know it's pretty "first world problems", but I can't help envying their success and feeling mediocre in comparison. I'm kicking myself for not achieving more academically when I was in high school.

Anyone else relate to this feeling when they Google their former classmates?
Dude, their lives weren't yours. You overcame a s$$tload of issues that would drag many under (like me) hell, YOU ARE A SUCCESS. Married. Good job and bright outlook, keep looking forward, the past is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 09:11 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,185,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You need to re-read your post as if you are reading about someone else. Wouldnt you think, wow, look at this dude. Working since he was 13, graduated a university with no loans, had full time jobs, now has a nice cushy tech job. Married, no debt, saving money, traveling abroad. He's only 24.

Wow, look at this dude! Do you know how many people would give their left nut to be in your position??? How in the world do you envy others when you are where you are now....at 24??? Now if you were living under a bridge then yeah, Id be a little envious. Your classmates have nothing on you. Nothing.
Indeed. OP has done a great job, Ivy League ain't what it used to be and it hasn't been for decades. I figured OP to be at least 40 judging by what he's done. But 24. All I can say is WELL DONE, A LIFE WELL LIVED. Don't worry about haavahd or Google, they are wealthy and considered cool in some circles, but cool is not life.

OP has done it and he's only 24. Good work, guy.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:14 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,185,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
I fall in the middle. Unfortunately do to sone horrible decisions I spent the majority of ages 18-22 snorting oxycontin. I cleaned up and by the grace of god had zero criminal record. I am 27 now and have an accounting degree, fortune 250 job, and am engaged. Now I say I fall in the middle bc trust me when I say I have many old friends dead, in jail, or still getting high. With that said my old friends prior to the drugs are all married with houses and nicer cars while I am still renting and driving a mediocre but reliable car. In essence tho I am where they were at 23. I wasted 4 years of my life and am just now doing the broke entry level corporate jobs verses at age 23.

In the end it is all meaningless though bc I am happy with a roof over my head. Yes I won't likely by my first brand new car or first home till 30 but at the same time at least I am not sitting I'm jail or in rehab for the 50th time at 30. Everyone's story is different so don't judge your happiness based on others achievements.
You did well to get free of drugs. You got it together in your 20s, you're sober and you're alive.

And you're not sitting in jail or prison or on skid row because you're a hopeless useless addict. And you're not in a box six feet under.

Drive on!

Old 12-19-2022, 10:25 PM

13,794 posts, read 8,032,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Does anyone else do this and end up feeling like a failure in life?

I went to a magnet high school, one of the top schools in the country.

But I was never an overachiever type. I've always worked the maximum hours legal since I was 13 so that I could move out as soon as possible (abusive mother), so all I cared about back then was saving up money, graduating and going to the least expensive accredited university to avoid student loans. So I moved out at 17, permanently cut ties from my family, and graduated from a state university with a decent degree. I held full-time jobs throughout, and now have a nice cushy tech job at a good company, but it's not Google or Facebook caliber. I'm married, we have no debt, and we're enjoying life while saving up a good amount of money. I've been able to travel abroad extensively (something I always valued).

I'm 24, and for my age, I'm doing OK in life so far. I'm pretty happy, and I know there are many people in worse situations, so I shouldn't complain.

But then I googled my former classmates, and it seems like they've all gone on to Harvard or other Ivies, going to prestigious business schools, and working at prestigious companies like Google or media companies. And they've all seemed to hold a ton of different leadership roles throughout. They all seem so powerful and perfect and are extremely high achievers.

I know it's pretty "first world problems", but I can't help envying their success and feeling mediocre in comparison. I'm kicking myself for not achieving more academically when I was in high school.

Anyone else relate to this feeling when they Google their former classmates?

You're 24 and the Game of Life has just begun. A lot of up, downs and twists to be had over the next 40 years.

I'm 65, retired and living comfortably with financial assets and money in the bank. But I'd gladly trade it all to be young again.

Now, you say you've travelled? When I was 24 I packed my bags and took off for Tokyo. I can still see myself the first day I arrived riding the subway and thinking I'm in trouble. Very few directions were written in English back then and it was so easy to get lost. Yet, I ended up living in Japan for over 30 years before returning to the States in 2019 to retire.

You are only young once and trust me...life goes by fast. You have no time to waste comparing yourself to your friends.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:38 AM

741 posts, read 415,053 times
I moved 3 times in high school so I barely remember anyone and probably same goes for me too.

Old 12-20-2022, 01:36 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,515,104 times
Don't google them. Just live your life and be happy. Every person is unique.
You are all very young and God knows what life might throw at you and your peers in the next 30-40 years.
It seems to me you have accomplished a lot. You seem wise, anyway.
Please do yourself a favor and don't compare yourself to others. There's always room for growth if you want to study more or follow another dream. Life is full of possibilities. Just do what you enjoy, feel like it without being compelled by the fact that your peer seem better online.

Old 12-20-2022, 04:30 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
You're 24 and the Game of Life has just begun. A lot of up, downs and twists to be had over the next 40 years.

I'm 65, retired and living comfortably with financial assets and money in the bank. But I'd gladly trade it all to be young again.

Now, you say you've travelled? When I was 24 I packed my bags and took off for Tokyo. I can still see myself the first day I arrived riding the subway and thinking I'm in trouble. Very few directions were written in English back then and it was so easy to get lost. Yet, I ended up living in Japan for over 30 years before returning to the States in 2019 to retire.

You are only young once and trust me...life goes by fast. You have no time to waste comparing yourself to your friends.
He's 31 now (original post was in 2015). Would be interested knowing how he is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships