Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:40 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times

Advertisements

I remember when men used to get tattoos, it was mostly from their military days, and the stereotype of men in the military is "tough" and "masculine." Another group that would get tattoos were the "bikers," another stereotypical "tough" group.

Now it seems like the opposite in my generation(millennials). The men getting tattoos these days are the white metrosexual/feminine hipsters who sip on their Starbucks lattes with their big glasses. It seems like nearly every guy around my age with a visible tattoo is metrosexual or "wimpy." It might be because tattoos these days are more popular with the females, and getting things like sleeve tattoos are more feminine.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like more of the granola type males are the ones getting tattoos as opposed to the tough bikers/military men of past generations. I mean, look at someone like Justin Bieber-feminine male all tatted up. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 02:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I remember when men used to get tattoos, it was mostly from their military days, and the stereotype of men in the military is "tough" and "masculine." Another group that would get tattoos were the "bikers," another stereotypical "tough" group.

Now it seems like the opposite in my generation(millennials). The men getting tattoos these days are the white metrosexual/feminine hipsters who sip on their Starbucks lattes with their big glasses. It seems like nearly every guy around my age with a visible tattoo is metrosexual or "wimpy." It might be because tattoos these days are more popular with the females, and getting things like sleeve tattoos are more feminine.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like more of the granola type males are the ones getting tattoos as opposed to the tough bikers/military men of past generations. I mean, look at someone like Justin Bieber-feminine male all tatted up. What do you think?

I think you're being judgmental.

How "manly" and "tough" are the women who have gotten tattoos through the years??? You just have some prejudices that are revealing themselves. That's all.

Besides, true hipsters would never go to Starbucks.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

I think you're being judgmental.

How "manly" and "tough" are the women who have gotten tattoos through the years??? You just have some prejudices that are revealing themselves. That's all.

Besides, true hipsters would never go to Starbucks.
Completely different with women IMO. With women it has always been more of a fashion thing. And these days tattoos seem more feminine in general.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
And these days tattoos seem more feminine in general.
... to you ...

Old 09-04-2015, 03:06 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
Ive noticed a lot of younger people are getting the full sleeve tattoos, both men & women

Old 09-04-2015, 03:18 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Yeah Idk. I think people from all walks of life are getting tattoos for a wide variety of reasons, though I think toughness is just a very small group or reason, if any at all. Military people and bikers got/get certain tattoos to signify their branch or gang and status within it rather than to be tough. It's a badge to where for life.

As for us regular folks, tattoos usually have meaning for the person and as society lightens up about them, the easier it is for us to get more of them in more visible places. It was probably close to impossible to get a professional job 40-50 years with a tattoo even just poking out from under your business suit. Though you probably won't get a great job with a tattoo across your forehead, it's just not that big of a deal today.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:19 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
When I was a kid ('80's), getting a tattoo used to be edgy & counter-culture. Now, it's become extremely common & mainstream.

In fact, these days I would have to say it's more unusual to see people without any tattoos than it is to see anyone with tattoos...

Old 09-05-2015, 01:34 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Never had any interest in getting tattoos. Perhaps if I were a commando in the military, or a federal prisoner doing hard time. But there is nothing in my life that warrants getting needles poked into me. I have always been a more logical thinker than an emotional or sentimental one. A lot of people get them because they want to appear more of a deep and interesting person. There is also a subculture of people who only befriend and date other people with tattoos, and they want to be a part of that.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:12 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Tats are boring, cliché' and silly.... I say this having a tat myself... I probably come off as judgy but I see women now with sleeve tats and they just look like skanks.... again judgy mcjudgy here, but I can't help it.

I went to the store recently and some youngish woman, maybe 30 she had tats all over her legs and her arms and she just looked like white trash, straight up white trash... course it didn't help that she talked like a dude calling guys around her "brah"..... major turn off....

Yeah, some of the millennial men come off as major wimps to me, and not all of course, but man... a whole lot of them seem wimpy and feminine... and I say this a guy that is not macho at all and I mean that... I'm a very laid back non aggressive guy and I can't help but think that a lot of the younger guys, guys in their low to mid 20's just seem like candy asses.......sorry to be so judgy about it, but I've noticed this for a long time now.

Tats or no tats, men now a days are just too damn fem for my liking.....

Old 09-05-2015, 03:01 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
They are just generally more popular overall, especially with the younger generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships