Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Tattoos are actually century old traditions found all over the world in a variety of cultures. The styles of tattoos may change and be trendy, but tattooing itself has and always will be around.

history of tattoos
No kidding. It's elementary, my dear! What's your point?

My point is that it is now a practice of epidemic proportions.

Those excessive numbers were so obviously brought on by pop culture and a human propensity to follow the herd/crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 04:09 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,890 times
a good looking individual should NEVER get tattoos other than in barely noticable areas ,some young women have ruined their looks with them .

other less striking folk may feel it adds a dimension to their overall appearance and this could be true of course .

The other issue is blending - you wouldn't put formica furniture in a stately home next to all the antiques etc , when two or more tats are added they have to MATCH lol - some are just mish mash ,butterflies with swords added to celtic crosses from years ago and truly appaling works of art

Old 09-05-2015, 06:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default American male level of class and dignity at an all-time low

I don't know about them earlier being just for "tough guys", but what they are, and have always been, is tacky, low-class, and showing extremely poor taste.

A lot of younger guys not only dress poorly, worst in history, but tattoos and long ugly beards complete the pathetic look.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:23 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
Down here in a coastal Florida it seems everyone has tattoos - even very old Grandma types -

Since I have no tattoos - I stick out and am unique - now I am the rebel

Old 09-05-2015, 09:37 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
No kidding. It's elementary, my dear! What's your point?

My point is that it is now a practice of epidemic proportions.

Those excessive numbers were so obviously brought on by pop culture and a human propensity to follow the herd/crowd.
My point is that they aren't the "fad of the moment doomed to drift away" as you claim. People have been tattooing themselves, often head to toe, for centuries and most likely will for centuries more. The have been a part of human culture since the invention of art. Their purposes may have changed and will continue to evolve, but they will always be around.

There is something sexy about tattoos. I like sleeves on a muscled guy. Of course sometimes they CAN look trashy or awkward, as with anything you put on your body, but when done properly and tastefully, they can look quite beautiful and strong.

And I think these old tatted people look pretty amazing .
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisoncapori...oo#.luR3AQlZZb

Old 09-06-2015, 12:28 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
a good looking individual should NEVER get tattoos other than in barely noticable areas ,some young women have ruined their looks with them .
To quote the universally accepted arbiter of good taste, Kim Kardashian, "Never put a bumper sticker on a Bentley".

Old 09-06-2015, 01:05 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
I think tattoos are disgusting. I never saw a person look better with one and I find it a huge turnoff that so many women are getting them, showing them off like they look good. In my eyes they are trashy and it brings down their looks by several notches. In most cases from a short distance it looks like they have a nasty scar. I do not understand why anyone would want to do that to themselves.

But in the end it's their body. If one wants to scar their body with graffiti then they have the freedom to do so. I do not get the fad / appeal...

Old 09-06-2015, 02:56 AM

309 posts, read 515,737 times
1. prison culture: people watch too much crime dramas and identify with the heroic bad guys. That is, they want to look bad in order to look good.

2. cry for help: people today are so isolated they are lonely with or without fair weather "friends". Hurting themselves this way is a socially acceptable form compared to razor cutting or anorexia.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:16 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
It might be because tattoos these days are more popular with the females, and getting things like sleeve tattoos are more feminine.
Sleeve tattoos are about as far from feminine as you can get, with the possible exception of female body builders. However, I find the "written script" tats that are popular with girls these days to look just as ridiculous. If you need to tattoo a daily affirmation on your arm/body/breasts/face just so you can feel 'special' when you look at it, then perhaps that money would have been better spent on therapy.

On a positive note, it should be pointed out that with the current tat craze in full swing, the competition for professional careers should suffer a sharp drop-off in the near future. At least until tattoo removal becomes a widespread and very profitable business. I will be the first to admit that I can't wait for that first IPO.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:50 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Being in my 40s I think it has become a hyper-masculine thing. Not masculinity, the way that my generation understood it but outward signs of masculinity, physical violence, etc. but not exhibiting any maturity in their masculinity. In other words, maybe they don't know any other way to look tough. I feel that dreads on young Black men has become the same thing. When I was there age it was all about a tight fade, maybe a Gumby, high-top in the eighties, etc. A clean cut look, because that was what the women were attracted to but these days it is the exact opposite.

Too much of a preoccupation with your looks comes across the wrong way to women. At least it should. And sometimes that is an indicator of sexuality although younger women don't seem to care about that so much than women my age. Going both ways, whatever, is more socially acceptable for men than it used to be.

I don't have any tats either.

Last edited by goofy328; 09-06-2015 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships