Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 04:22 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,614,689 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm one of those "disgusting" people, but I've had tattoos since I was about 18 and I'm 41 now. I have 5 (6 if you count one is a coverup) but you would never know I had that many unless I was in a bikini. Most of mine are completely hidden, all of them have some important meaning to me. I don't have any words on me either, because I'm not a fan of those. My niece however who is 20 has 2 tattoos, both of which are song lyrics. Out of the 6, only 2 were done in the last few years. Not to be trendy, but because I wanted these tattoos as tributes to family members who passed.

It does seem a bit ridiculous that now it seems everyone under the age of 35 has one. Especially when I see the tattoos that just seem like they got them just for the sake of. I saw an arm band on a woman yesterday that was a forest. Just a bunch of Christmas looking trees wrapped around her arm. Under that was a cheesy looking sailboat. A guy had a cupcake on his forearm. I honestly can't imagine these having any real meaning whatsoever, but I could be wrong. Maybe I'm weird because each tat I had done I put at least a year of thought into before getting. (With the exception of the one I got covered up, obviously).

My husband has no issues with it either. If someone else finds it disgusting, so be it. They don't have to live with my body, I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 12:38 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,316,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
. What do you think?
I'm kinda' scratching my head over this one. Where do you live??? Here in the Portland-metro area, it's a matter of who does NOT have tattoos. Seriously! And they're on every size, shape, color, age, etc. I'm in my 60's, and many people in my age group have at least one tattoo (I have none, because I want to be the last person standing around here without one ).

Old 09-14-2015, 11:52 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,179,770 times
To clarify my last post, I like women with tattoos - I think they look interesting. That being said, I do think that both men & women with tattoos have become extremely mainstream, to the point where it's not at all uncommon to see people with them. And, when hipsters all start getting tattoos, you know they're not just for "tough" men & women anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I'm kinda' scratching my head over this one. Where do you live??? Here in the Portland-metro area, it's a matter of who does NOT have tattoos. Seriously! And they're on every size, shape, color, age, etc. I'm in my 60's, and many people in my age group have at least one tattoo (I have none, because I want to be the last person standing around here without one ).
Yeah - can attest to this. I was in Portland & Seattle on vacation earlier this year & saw a lot of people with tats. I also liked the women with the half-shaved head & the other half long green/red dyed hair - interesting. That being said, when almost every other young woman you see has tats & a half-shaved head/dyed hair, it ceases to be unusual & eventually becomes something you don't look at twice.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:25 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,021,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I remember when men used to get tattoos, it was mostly from their military days, and the stereotype of men in the military is "tough" and "masculine." Another group that would get tattoos were the "bikers," another stereotypical "tough" group.

Now it seems like the opposite in my generation(millennials). The men getting tattoos these days are the white metrosexual/feminine hipsters who sip on their Starbucks lattes with their big glasses. It seems like nearly every guy around my age with a visible tattoo is metrosexual or "wimpy." It might be because tattoos these days are more popular with the females, and getting things like sleeve tattoos are more feminine.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like more of the granola type males are the ones getting tattoos as opposed to the tough bikers/military men of past generations. I mean, look at someone like Justin Bieber-feminine male all tatted up. What do you think?
That happened a long time back and yes I like men who look like that .Sleek , with beautiful body art . I used to be married to a Bandido and that type doesn't attract me anymore .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships