Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:03 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times

Advertisements

Up in the early hours again! I've got to get up at 9:30 and they're standing in the corridor having a party and talking loudly, I actually got to sleep at midnight and then they came back from the party and won't shut the **** up!

Jesus!!! I've got to go to a lecture tomorrow! These idiots have no respect for anyone that could be sleep in bed, I can't be doing with this at all! I've tried background noise and it really does work but only to an extent, if there's a crowd of them I can't get to sleep!

Everyday i'm exhausted, last night I went to bed at 2! This madness has to stop, it's driving me up the wall and making me highly anxious! Why can they not just go to bed! I really can't cope with this!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:09 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I feel a little more motivated today. I think I probably need to stay for a month to see what I think!
You need to give it a lot longer than a month. I'd say give it a few years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Up in the early hours again! I've got to get up at 9:30 and they're standing in the corridor having a party and talking loudly, I actually got to sleep at midnight and then they came back from the party and won't shut the **** up!

Jesus!!! I've got to go to a lecture tomorrow! These idiots have no respect for anyone that could be sleep in bed, I can't be doing with this at all! I've tried background noise and it really does work but only to an extent, if there's a crowd of them I can't get to sleep!

Everyday i'm exhausted, last night I went to bed at 2! This madness has to stop, it's driving me up the wall and making me highly anxious! Why can they not just go to bed! I really can't cope with this!!!
Calm down, sunshine! This is the first week of uni - freshers are busy making friends (which usually involves a party or three and some noise). This is what you should be doing too, even though you find it difficult. The "madness" WILL stop (although it will still be noisy on weekends).

I understand all this is making you anxious and that you don't find it easy to make friends, but give it some time - try not to over-react. Try the earplugs others have suggested. Or play some soothing music. You're starting a new chapter in your life, and you'll find your way in time.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:27 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
Tomorrow, after your lectures, pop down to Boots and get some earplugs. I know I sound like your mother but your sleep is the most important thing right now. Ok lad?

Old 09-24-2015, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Tomorrow, after your lectures, pop down to Boots and get some earplugs. I know I sound like your mother but your sleep is the most important thing right now. Ok lad?
Oh I don't care if you sound like my mother, I am well past that stage. Seriously, I feel like i'm too mature for the people in these flats.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
You need to give it a lot longer than a month. I'd say give it a few years!

Calm down, sunshine! This is the first week of uni - freshers are busy making friends (which usually involves a party or three and some noise). This is what you should be doing too, even though you find it difficult. The "madness" WILL stop (although it will still be noisy on weekends).

I understand all this is making you anxious and that you don't find it easy to make friends, but give it some time - try not to over-react. Try the earplugs others have suggested. Or play some soothing music. You're starting a new chapter in your life, and you'll find your way in time.
Thank you for your reply.

I don't mind if they party, i'd just prefer if they'd keep it down after 12. Last night they were bad - they did not stop until 2:30am, I am just out of bed now at 10am, still absolutely exhausted. I am really, really hoping that this stops soon because I can't keep up with it when I've got to be up for 9am.

I must try not to overreact, last night I was ready, at one point to open the door and start screaming at them to shut the hell up lol, thank god that didn't happen.

I will try the earplugs and see how that goes.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:26 AM

Well, try the earplugs tonight, see if that helps. Don't go shouting at anyone - they'll try to annoy you even more if you are not careful.

Is there anyone 'in charge' of your floor/building, you can have a discreet word with? Maybe they can tell people to keep the noise down after a certain time.

I'm guessing that you've paid a term/semester in advance? No chance of moving to another room?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:10 AM

We asked to move rooms, but there were none left. The security guy said he'd go down and tell them to be quiet but i'm not sure if he did.

I've been trying to smile at the people in the flats but they look away (especially the girls),i'm not sure i'm going to bother with them anymore. Afterall they've not said anything to me so why bother. I'm fed up starting conversations...

My classmates seem to already know each other, they've been calling eachother by name. I'm not sure how but fair enough. I'd just appreciate it if they'd come over and say hello to me instead of just ignoring me, it's a bit rude and hurtful. I actually heard some of them talking about a party and I thought it was rude that they never came and asked me if I wanted to go. To me honest i'm not sure if they're interested in bothering with me considering they avoid eye contact when I try I look to initiate a conversation.

I was really looking forward to university, I thought people would grow up and cliques were a thing of the past

Last edited by Sickandtiredofthis; 09-24-2015 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 03:58 PM

You've only been there a week - sometimes it takes a while to make friends. Are there any clubs there you are interested in joining?

There will always be arsey people wherever you go. You just have to ignore them but still carry on being polite to people.

There are a lot of people going to their local Unis these days. Maybe some of them in your class know each other previously from school or college?

Anyway, the important thing is to try to get good sleep to be able to concentrate on your course. You have plenty of time to make friends there.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
You are looking for a reason to leave. Calm down. Adjust. It will settle down in time...those dumb freshmen are out of mommy and daddy's grasp for the first time ever. Talk to who is in charge if it continues to be a problem. But what I see is someone scared and looking for an out.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
You've only been there a week - sometimes it takes a while to make friends. Are there any clubs there you are interested in joining?

There will always be arsey people wherever you go. You just have to ignore them but still carry on being polite to people.

There are a lot of people going to their local Unis these days. Maybe some of them in your class know each other previously from school or college?

Anyway, the important thing is to try to get good sleep to be able to concentrate on your course. You have plenty of time to make friends there.
I'm going to a club next week. I don't know how they met each other but I feel like an outcast when they're all chatting to eachother and I'm standing there not knowing where to look!!

It's annoying that I have to have rude people on the first week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships