Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 11:06 AM

11,817 posts, read 12,068,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
I occasionally hang out with a group of people , more acquaintances than close friends. More than a few of them like to socialize by going to see bands a lot. I don't mind going to see a band now and then but it's not my main way of socializing. I like to talk to people ,so I like things like happy hours , going to dinner or something like Sunday brunch. And for the record everyone in this group is over 40 so its not like we are in our 20s. I just don't feel like I am getting to know people if I can't have a good conversation with them .
Is their only socializing by going to see bands? My first thought is they want to go but don't want to be alone. It sounds like this circle of acquaintances is not for you and I'd move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 11:54 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,911,771 times
Maybe I am a freak, but I don't really like going to see live music. I actually get bored watching a band or musician or symphony. And I don't find its "social" at all. I know lots of people feel different. It's just my take on it. My husband loves to see live music so I will go once in a while if it's something he really is excited about. I don't know, I just don't feel like it's a social event at all. And I don't really love it. I'd rather have music on in the background while talking with my friends and loved ones.

I'm with you. Happy hour, restaurants, even coffee is much more my speed, especially for "socializing".

Old 12-13-2015, 01:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,515,194 times
OP, you sound like me! I'm also not a fan of live music in general, and I prefer the same type of music as you. I don't listen to music very often, though. I have played in bands and orchestras and absolutely love that, but I don't listen to music every day on the bus like everyone else seems to. I prefer to socialize with actual socializing (i.e., talking).

I think you need a different group of friends with whom to hang.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:37 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,930,235 times
Re. live music: If you are familiar with the genre of music being played, play an instrument yourself, read music, know the musicians and/or the music - you are likely to appreciate the experience more, especially if you are close enough to the action (or a screen) to actually watch the performers.

If your preference is background music while something else is going on, you are less likely to appreciate or enjoy a concert, assuming it's not a concert with lots of special effects and other bells and whistles (not the musical kind).

However, if you are dancing to good live music, you may find yourself and others with whom you are dancing responding so that you become one with the music and express it through your dancing. This is especially true for traditional dance, performed to trad. music, in which certain music always accompanies certain dances. Think Jane Austin era, when a dancer's ability helped define their social desirability and status. Participating in such activity is a far cry from sitting passively at a live concert, and can lead to a new appreciation of both music and dance.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:18 PM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
I never could see the "sociability" of going someplace where you're supposed to be quiet and listen to what's going on at the venue. If I want to see a movie, I'll go alone because it's rude to talk to someone all through it! On the other hand, I wouldn't go sit in a restaurant by myself to eat (I'd get take-out and eat it in front of the TV at home), because in my view, that's a setting for sociable conversation. "Socialize" in settings meant for talking, and your own home is as good a place as any. On the other hand, these people may want to attend these events -- and pay attention to them; not socialize -- but are too scared to go alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships