Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:32 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,186,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I'm a firm believer, not in confrontation, but in communication. You could simply communicate your concerns to them. There might be a logical answer but at least you'll all be on the same page. For all you know, this intern wasn't telling you the truth and you totally overreacted over a false rumor. Communication is the key to life.
Here's the thing, though - why should the OP bother getting involved in this situation?! The OP had nothing do with this. And, if they do ask the chiropractic office about this, the office could easily lie about what happened. I'd let it go, and go to another office. These people sound like scum-bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 PM

912 posts, read 920,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Here's the thing, though - why should the OP bother getting involved in this situation?! The OP had nothing do with this. And, if they do ask the chiropractic office about this, the office could easily lie about what happened. I'd let it go, and go to another office. These people sound like scum-bags.
Because #1, the OP doesn't have the full story. #2, I don't see how it's that awkward of a conversation, #3, why should the OP change offices because of something that may not have happened? The kid's story just sounds far fetched. I believe in discussion, not rumors and jumping to conclusions. That's all. The OP can do as they wish, obviously. They were asking for opinions, and my opinion will always be to communicate. I mean, what can it hurt? It's a simple adult conversation, and we're all adults here, aren't we?

I'd simply say: hey, I understand that xyz is no longer employed here. Is that true? When they confirm, I'd inquire as to why. After they've said, I'd use my judgment on how to share the information I was given from the other side without throwing the kid under the bus and inquire if it's true. If it is true, I'd speak to management (maybe even get the kid his job back -- or at the very least, the OP would be setting the record straight so this poor kid can at least clear his name and maybe receive a good reference for his time there), then take my business elsewhere. If it's not true, the OP will then know that info too.

It's really being blown out of proportion, IMO. Put the big girl panties on and just *ask*.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:07 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,321,347 times
As others have said, HIPAA doesn't not preclude greeting a person that you happen to know because you have received treatment at a medical office they work at. If that is why this person was fired, then the office does not understand their HIPAA obligations.

It's also true that you don't know the full story and there could have been other reasons this person was let go. But it does seem like he has some reason to believe it was based on his interaction with you.

You don't need to be confrontational about it, you could write a letter explaining what happened the first time and then the second time you spoke to him and then say you wanted to make it clear that you were not complaining about him, and even put in something positive about the fact that he was polite enough to greet you, maybe even that you admired his work ethic and you were simply sharing a story about him because he worked there and that you were upset to hear that this interaction with him had been used as an explanation for him getting fired.

I don't think you can do anything more than that, but maybe the office will consider rehiring him, if that really was the sole reason for his termination, or at least, be willing to give him a decent reference.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:23 PM

920 posts, read 937,244 times
I am glad the intern let you know. That shows alot of character for such a young person. And I agree with many here so this will probably just re-iterate the excellent, common sense advice you've gotten from many here

Frankly it sounds bizarre but most likely true situation. I would call or send a note to the office about it.

The Doc (owner) will probably deny it but there is no reason the kid would lie.

Personally I wouldn't visit that office again. Sounds like they don't want their employees moonlighting (meaning having a second job) and used you as the scapegoat. Because moonlighting is not a vaild reason to fire anyone. Not that they necessary need a truthful reason

The kid had the right to know he was used as a scapegoat and the reason for his firing wasn't truthful. Misalligning your character, well there is no excuse. You needed to know you were used in such a dispicable manner by someone you've been giving your hard earned money to. So much for appreciating someones business.

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 12-16-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 07:25 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,186,712 times
I respectfully disagree with what most are saying on here. I interact/deal with people on a daily basis re: my job. And, unless the OP did something they felt they shouldn't have done (and it's not clear to me that this is what happened), then they shouldn't get involved in this situation. I.e., did the OP complain about this intern to the office? It doesn't sound like it. So, why should the OP feel guilty about the intern getting fired?! It wasn't the OP's fault that this happened.

In essence, the office management sound like a bunch of P.O.S.'s. I agree it sounds like they used the OP as an excuse to fire the intern. This makes me sick. I went to a chiropractor's office for a while years ago, and found them very dishonest & opportunistic. I wouldn't trust people like this...

Old 12-16-2015, 07:29 PM

920 posts, read 937,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I was office manager for a physician. This is a small town and frequently I'd encounter one of our patients out of the office. Yes, I did greet them and often chatted about their kids or their new car or their vacation. It would certainly be silly not to greet these people as long as I made no mention of their diagnosis or medications.

I believe there is more to the story that the OP doesn't know.

BTW, the HIPPA laws do not prevent one from speaking to a patient outside of a medical setting. It only prevents the spread of the patient's medical information to unauthorized persons.
Yeah that would be a bit crazy. See someone you know then pretend you didn't actually see then and shun them to boot kinda funny actually anyone could actually think HIPAA requires this

Old 12-16-2015, 08:28 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,926,783 times
There are two possibilities here:

1) The guy is telling you something that is not entirely true........ie, he was not told you were not coming back because of him. or,

2) They really did tell him that.

I am the kind of guy who isn't afraid of confrontation, so I would go into the office, ask for the person in charge, and ask them point blank what happened. I would tell them I DID NOT leave them because of seeing him at the other place, and I would lay into them for using me to fire him. I would also tell them I admire the guy for holding down two jobs, and that I would go to bat for him if he sought damages.

Don

Old 12-16-2015, 08:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,337,394 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree with what most are saying on here. I interact/deal with people on a daily basis re: my job. And, unless the OP did something they felt they shouldn't have done (and it's not clear to me that this is what happened), then they shouldn't get involved in this situation. I.e., did the OP complain about this intern to the office? It doesn't sound like it. So, why should the OP feel guilty about the intern getting fired?! It wasn't the OP's fault that this happened.

In essence, the office management sound like a bunch of P.O.S.'s. I agree it sounds like they used the OP as an excuse to fire the intern. This makes me sick. I went to a chiropractor's office for a while years ago, and found them very dishonest & opportunistic. I wouldn't trust people like this...
We're only getting one side of the story and there's a lot of passing judgment on the chiropractor and that office, based only on what the fired person is saying. And WHY would the fired guy feel the need to guilt the OP on this?

Like I said earlier, seek first to understand.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,337,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
There are two possibilities here:

1) The guy is telling you something that is not entirely true........ie, he was not told you were not coming back because of him. or,

2) They really did tell him that.

I am the kind of guy who isn't afraid of confrontation, so I would go into the office, ask for the person in charge, and ask them point blank what happened. I would tell them I DID NOT leave them because of seeing him at the other place, and I would lay into them for using me to fire him. I would also tell them I admire the guy for holding down two jobs, and that I would go to bat for him if he sought damages.

Don
YOU DON'T REALLY KNOW WHY THE GUY WAS FIRED. I wouldn't waylay into anyone till I got both sides of the story - that is, if I decided to get involved at all.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:11 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,321,347 times
Quote:

It's not about the OP having done something wrong, it's about the fact that the OP was told that his person was fired because of the OP. I have no problem complaining about something if I was bothered by it, and while I wouldn't necessarily a person to get fired over it, if that was the outcome, then I would be ok with it if there had been something egregious. But in this case, the OP wasn't complaining yet it's possible that what he or she did say was used as the reason to fire someone. Even if that had been the case, it would be entirely inappropriate for the employer to cite the complaints of a specific patient. But particularly when the OP hadn't complained, it's ridiculous.

So I'd personally want to correct the record, make it clear that no complaint had been made and tell the office that they made an error putting the OP into the middle of this, and that this situation was the reason they left the practice. Without that information being conveyed, the practice doesn't know what the problem was, and to the extent that they want to fix it and/or not let it happen again, at least they would know what they did wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships