Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 PM

22,637 posts, read 19,342,932 times

Advertisements

when i worked in health care as a provider, our policy was if we saw someone outside the clinic, to NOT EVER indicate we knew them. We basically ignored them. We explained to clients this is not to be rude, but to protect their privacy. If a client says "hi" and indicates they know us we say "hi" back but never indicate or discuss anything beyond that. Yes, it is to protect a client's privacy. And it is part of ethics in health care. Talking about their health care outside the clinic is a violation of privacy; even if they bring it up, we do not discuss it.

Regarding the situation in the opening post, if a business has sketchy practices, i take my business elsewhere. Period. If I don't trust the people's business practices, then I am certainly not going to trust them with my healthcare. Healing is not going to happen if I go to someone that I do not trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 09:50 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,790,885 times
I was once fired for moonlighting and was denied unemployment. Nothing in the employment contract precluded me, but employers don't really need to show cause these days.

Also every chiro I have ever encountered has been shady. They exist by scamming insurance companies. Your acquaintance is better off out of that business.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:54 PM

924 posts, read 1,682,989 times
He was ostensibly fired because they thought you were upset that he had spoken to you. If you go back to the chiro again to set the record straight, you are doing it to this intern again even though your intentions are good. I don't know what else they could do to him at this point, but they are going to think they were right for firing him because they think, and you would be confirming, that he keeps talking to you and upsetting you outside of the office.

You could offer to provide the intern a reference letter stating that he was not the reason that you stopped going there. That way, if he ever has to explain his termination, he can offer a copy of the letter and state truthfully that it was a misunderstanding on the part of the employer.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:55 PM

797 posts, read 1,757,353 times
I don't think you're able to pass judgement (at the chiro) until you hear the other side of the story. It is a bit odd that the intern told you why he was fired. I mean honestly think about it. If you ran into someone that essentially got you fired from your job, would you even bring it up to that person? Even if the person was being seemingly nice to you? Sorry but even if the person that I though got me fired asked, "why don't you work there anymore?" I would never tell them "your complaint got me fired" ...That just screams red flag to me that he'd tell you that! I would politely communicate with HR at the chiro's office. Tell them what the intern told you and explain that it upset you to hear this because you weren't upset by the encounter with the intern and never would've wanted to get him fired over it. Perhaps the HR person will volunteer info as to what really happened. Although, I'm not sure that legally they can disclose that kind of info about a former employee...

Old 12-17-2015, 12:00 AM

1,274 posts, read 982,340 times
The company will never disclosure why they let him go. Normally, they should not. But many are wrong to assume that the intern is lying. On the contrary, it totally makes sense that the office used this "fact" for their own benefit. And for those who say that they cannot understand why the intern would mention that to the OP, well I don't really see the problem.

You are being asked why you don't work there, you can answer truthfully (what many of you think the intern is NOT doing) instead of lying. There is no shame in that.

I am curious to know the truth but maybe the most rational action for the OP is still to not get involved.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:29 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,410,220 times
Since you were cornered by the fired one about what you supposedly did, it is sufficient to tell the guy that you did not bring anything up about him to the boss. You are free to walk away without fear of going to hell. You do not know the reason he was actually fired. He could have been really bad at his job.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,195,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's not about the OP having done something wrong, it's about the fact that the OP was told that his person was fired because of the OP. ...

Without that information being conveyed, the practice doesn't know what the problem was, and to the extent that they want to fix it and/or not let it happen again, at least they would know what they did wrong.
The thing is - the OP is only getting one side of the story and really has no way of knowing whether or not it's the truth.

That's why the Big Lebowski Dude and I are saying that before the OP just assumes the office really did this, he/she needs to gather more facts - IF he/she really feels it's urgent to get involved.

People who have been fired say all sorts of things - it's sort of like how everyone in jail is innocent. People won't often tell you, "Yeah, I got fired because I missed too much work," or "I got fired because I cost the company $50,000 due to a stupid mistake I made," or "Yeah, I got fired because I deserved to get fired - I couldn't get along with anyone there."

Old 12-17-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove0000 View Post
I don't think you're able to pass judgement (at the chiro) until you hear the other side of the story. It is a bit odd that the intern told you why he was fired. I mean honestly think about it. If you ran into someone that essentially got you fired from your job, would you even bring it up to that person? Even if the person was being seemingly nice to you? Sorry but even if the person that I though got me fired asked, "why don't you work there anymore?" I would never tell them "your complaint got me fired" ...That just screams red flag to me that he'd tell you that!
This. I can't believe how many people are willing and ready to rush right over to the chiro office and tear somebody a new one, based on only hearing one side of the story from a person they barely know. And like you, I think it's pretty odd that the person volunteered any of that information.

Quote:
I would politely communicate with HR at the chiro's office. Tell them what the intern told you and explain that it upset you to hear this because you weren't upset by the encounter with the intern and never would've wanted to get him fired over it. Perhaps the HR person will volunteer info as to what really happened. Although, I'm not sure that legally they can disclose that kind of info about a former employee...
I doubt that the HR person/office manager will volunteer the information but I do think that the chiropractor deserves to know the real reason the OP is no longer going there - it's not NECESSARY information but it's a good excuse to go by there and feel for more information, clear things up, etc.

What I would NOT do is go striding into that office stating hearsay as fact and chewing anyone out.

Once again - SEEK FIRST TO UNDERSTAND.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
The company will never disclosure why they let him go. Normally, they should not. But many are wrong to assume that the intern is lying. On the contrary, it totally makes sense that the office used this "fact" for their own benefit. And for those who say that they cannot understand why the intern would mention that to the OP, well I don't really see the problem.

I'm not assuming the intern is lying. I'm just saying, get both sides of the story if it's important enough to the OP to get things straight.

Maybe the intern is telling the truth, maybe he's not. Maybe he got fired for some wrong reason, or maybe he got fired for a reason he's not sharing.

Quote:
You are being asked why you don't work there, you can answer truthfully (what many of you think the intern is NOT doing) instead of lying. There is no shame in that.
How would the OP know the intern didn't work there anymore though, if the OP doesn't go to that chiropractor anymore anyway? The OP didn't say that he/she ASKED the intern why he didn't work there anymore - the OP said the intern just stated that he didn't work there anymore and then went on to say that the reason why was because the chiropractor accused him of upsetting a good customer (the OP) and causing them to lose that business.

Most people don't volunteer the information that they've been fired, and most people don't freely and without bias discuss the reason they got fired.

Quote:
I am curious to know the truth but maybe the most rational action for the OP is still to not get involved.
Yep.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:26 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,467,974 times
There are other possibilities than one or the other lying.

Perhaps the chiro's policy is no second job without approval and notice that the employee acknowledges the first job is primary. So, theres the possibility he didn't follow that procedure and/or called in sick got paid leave and went to work at the convenience store to get more hours. Just one of many things that could have happened.

Maybe you telling the chiro you saw him at the second job led to them putting reasons together why he might be giving short shrift to his first job (one reason I would never tell someone's boss I saw them working somewhere else).

So, he could be telling the truth that the info you provided caused him to be fired whether you were complaining about it or not. Maybe he heard it that way; maybe it was spun that way. The chiro could have just told him Ms X told me you were working at convenience store. Probably wrong of the Chiro to tell him who saw him or complained when he could have just said a client complained or saw him.

If you want to get involved the only effective way to do so is talk to the Chiro imo and get the other side of the story. If they did something shady they will probably lie to you. They may say they cant discussit whether it was shady or not. Either way you will then be left to judge for yourself who is telling the truth or if its some kind of muddled communication betwee the parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships